People keep parking in front of my drive, what can you do?

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I should say that i never moan at neighbours who block my drive. Yesterday was just a bad day & it was workmen who wasn't near there motors to move them.

Associate
Just do what some people did to my wife, get a no parking sign quickly knocked up, call the police and tell them someone has been parked there for ages and blocking your driveway and they will have it towed away, just like they did with my car... £130 later I get my car back...

Soldato
Can I ask if you know that for a fact, and how you know its true. If your car isnt there, it surely means you have gone out, and will be coming back at some point, so they still shouldnt be blocking your driveway anyway.

Plus what happens if you have a garage and your car is inside, how do they know theres not a car in the garage that needs to get out.

The point im trying to make is that I thought you werent allowed under any circumstances to block anybody elses drive???

If there is a garage then things are different, as you cannot be sure that there is a vehicle present then you cannot park across the drive. However, if it is blatantly obvious that there is no vehicle present then it is quite legal to prevent access.

A friend of mine recently had a drop kerb added so that he could park on what had been his front garden. In the letter received from the council it actually stated that the drop kerbs didn't guarantee him right of access.

Soldato
go out at midnight and hold the horn for till he appears, keep doing so till he gets fed up with waking up late :D .

surely though his car is an obstruction to pedestrians as its on the pathway, if a wheel chair need to get through is it possible ?

Associate
my next door neighbour has lots of visitors and some of them park across the entrance to my driveway or sometiems even partially on my drive.i always go over as soon as they are there and say im going out,get them to move the car then go back inside.once someoen parked on their drive and was a foot onto my drive so i parked 3" from his car and got out of the passengers side making it impossible for him to get in his car as there was a wall on the otherside.i got a knock on the door later to ask me to move my car so he could get in,told him sorry i had been drinking so wasnt legal for me to move the car and slammed the door on him.the police came round about an hour later and basically told him that it was his silly fault for parking like a plank and that technically i could charge him for parking on my land or clamp him.it shut him up big style and nobody parks across my drive anymore:cool:

Soldato
Two simple options mentioned before to solve this:

1.) Park there yourself (therefore angering him as you have a spare drive)
2.) Keep asking him to move it when its raining, late, early, frosty. Then drive back again a couple of minutes later. He will soon get bored of parking there to move it.

Both ways will avoid getting your tires slashed.

Soldato
he can legally park infront of your drive if your car isnt in it.

I dont think that is correct.

To the OP, you need to be able to prove that he is causing an obstruction, rather than an inconvenience, only the former is illegal. If you can get out then there is no offence, other than him being an inconsiderate idiot.

If you are on good terms with your local NPT then get them to start ticketing the car. At £30 a pop they wont do it for long.

Associate
Had this thread before.

Outcome was it was down to individual councils but if there is no car present you can block the drive. Painted lines, signs and dropped kerbs mean nothing.

Few small differences around the country but that's the guts of it.

Soldato
Actually, you can request that the council paint white lines across the front of your driveway. We had a problem whereby our neighbour was doing this all the time and the one time when we needed to get out, we couldn't because he was out and blocking the driveway.

The council painted a white |-----------------| (best way to describe it) across the front of the drive way along the kerbside. If anybody does obstruct this, then legally you can receive a parking fine. (What we were told).

Associate
I agree it us very rude and I am as much against as the next man.

I would also be double checking what I was told about people getting a fine for parking on the white lines. I looked at a couple of councils last time this come up and the sites basically said the lines mean nothing but many do take notice of them and don't park there which is why they use them. They have no way to enforce them though.

Permabanned
Leave a couple of nails there, remembering to move them when you're moving your car.

First, though, leave a polite note on his windscreen, and then try getting him to move his car all the time.

Commissario
IIRC it's an offence to block access to the "queens highway" which is why if someone parks in front of a drive that has a vehicle on it, blocking access to the road you can get something done about it - a call to the police non emergency number can and often does result in a call to the registered keepers home address.
We've had to do it a couple of times in the past, although not for a few years.
It's not generally an offence to block access from the Queens highway onto private property (note this is only in reference to the road access, I believe foot access is different).

If the driveway is off a private road you're pretty much screwed however, as long as the end of the private road/turning isn't blocked it's a civil matter and can be a real pain to sort out (solicitors etc) - we had some fun with that a while back*.

Subxero i've heard the same, although i suspect it depends on the council as to when/where they will paint the lines.

*We're one of 5 houses that share a turning, we technically own half of it, with the other 4 owning an 8th each (opposite ours) with it being for access to each houses off road parking - the end house kept blocking our garage + driveway and it took several solicitors letters to get the message across (after asking politely resulted in him taking the mick - telling his builders it was fine to park a mini digger in front of our car over night).

Back
Top Bottom