• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3770K to 4770K, Worth it ?

Soldato
Well it looks like l'm going to just upgrade my GPU 6970-->780 and keep my trusty old 920 at least another 1 or 2 year's. Was hopping the Haswell would be a better OC 4.8ghz.But again Intel are skimping on Haswell using the Blue tac again for the thermal paste also puts me off.

Your paying good money for Haswell 4770k why use cheap paste, its just another way of stopping you getting the best out of it by overclocking. Why should you have to de-lid Haswell, surely they could have used a good thermal paste at least on the 4770k.

But if l have to upgrade l'll go X79 instead, oh well.

Soldato
I never understand why they dont use at least mid range thermal paste tbh. I can understand not using top the of range as its just more cost and people will moan about the prices, but lots of hardware seems to come with the absolute worst thermal paste a team of scientists could come up with.

Caporegime
Well it looks like l'm going to just upgrade my GPU 6970-->780 and keep my trusty old 920 at least another 1 or 2 year's. Was hopping the Haswell would be a better OC 4.8ghz.But again Intel are skimping on Haswell using the Blue tac again for the thermal paste also puts me off.

Your paying good money for Haswell 4770k why use cheap paste, its just another way of stopping you getting the best out of it by overclocking. Why should you have to de-lid Haswell, surely they could have used a good thermal paste at least on the 4770k.

But if l have to upgrade l'll go X79 instead, oh well.

exactly that,they use the blue tack so you'll go x79:D

Soldato
The story with the 4770k seems to be the same as when the 3770k came out. Yet, small increments in performance still matters. Also interesting to see the 4770k doesn't overclock as well, which was also said about the 3770 vs 2700k and think I read it runs hotter, same story as 3770k vs 2700k but many still upgraded - newer chip overall will still be better.
Can't remember the stats now but if 4770k 10% faster than 3770k which was 10% faster then the 2700k that means 4770k is 22% faster than 2700k.
Personally I like the idea of skipping a CPU generation. And if one can afford the additional cost, might as well go with non-GPU processors(2011 chips) as we all run graphics cards anyway.

Associate
If you have a 3770k, nope it not worth it at all full stop, the 4770k offers what 10% increase which you never see in real world usage, it overclocks the same, It might actually run hotter clock for clock when overclocked, due to now using onboard voltage regulators.

Plus the cost on top aswell for new mobo & maybe a new PSU, which could be spent on let say a better graphics card.

I only upgraded at Christmas, I intend sticking with the 3770k for the next couple of years at least until something worth upgrading to comes out, or if AMD finally get their act together on the CPU front.

Associate
Gonna buy a 3770k.

Hence ive gone sli gtx 670. But, my 3570k is a bottleneck for those cards in sli. Even with the cards at stock and the cpu at 4.5ghz.

How does i5 to i7 stop the bottleneck of the sli 670's? Didnt think there was any improvement for gaming between i5 and i7? Or is that not your goal and you just want to go i7 for some other reason?

Associate
would the 4770k drop right into my motherboard which is a ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe ?

Just wondering, not saying I'm going to upgrade from my 3770K @ 4.6, just wondering if the new chips require a new motherboard, thats all ?

If so, stuff them all man, waste of time and money for the fraction of a performance gain. (and it looks like they will only clock the same as the 3770k anyway too, so defo a letdown :( )

Last edited:
Soldato
would the 4770k drop right into my motherboard which is a ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe ?

Just wondering, not saying I'm going to upgrade from my 3770K @ 4.6, just wondering if the new chips require a new motherboard, thats all ?

If so, stuff them all man, waste of time and money for the fraction of a performance gain. (and it looks like they will only clock the same as the 3770k anyway too, so defo a letdown :( )

Nope the new CPU's are on new socket '1150'

Associate
Nope the new CPU's are on new socket '1150'

ohh damn it, lol, I thought the new ivy bridge boards would have been the latest boards for at least a couple of years, lol, but as you say, nope, along comes intel again with a litrally useless chip that isnt really any better at all than the 3770k and means that even if people want the new chip they need a full new motherboard etc too, that sucks man, but anyway, I have no plans in upgrading especially when I only bought my setup when the 3770k just came out, I dont even think its been a year, hasnt it not ?

Intel are a bunch of Jokers *iss takers sometimes man :(, money grabbing *******s, lol.:mad:

Last edited:
Associate
I've currently got an i5-3450 and wanted to upgrade to a 4770K, but not really impressed with the results. I'm going to be running dual SLI and want a lot of high speed memory as not only will it be used for gaming but also daily game recording and video editing. Everyone think I would be much better off waiting a few months for Ivybridge-E?

Caporegime
How does i5 to i7 stop the bottleneck of the sli 670's? Didnt think there was any improvement for gaming between i5 and i7? Or is that not your goal and you just want to go i7 for some other reason?
I play a lot of bf3, a game that benefits from a cpu with hyperthreading. With the 3570k, the cards are only hitting a max of 80% gpu usage. Ive ran them in my old i7 930 @4.2ghz, a constant 99% usage per card. It was the same with my previous sli gtx 470's in another i7 920 rig i had, by disabling ht the gpu usage dropped a fair bit. Besides, it wont be a very expensive upgrade as ill recoup a few quid by selling the 3570k on. For anyone looking for a decent cpu to pair with a single high end card, it's an excellent cpu.

Last edited:
Soldato
The last major performance jump was from Core2 to Nehalem. There were nice power decreases applied from the i7-920 to the i7-2xxx but since then it's all been value add in terms of onboard GPU etc. If you are running a dedicated graphic card, then I don't see the point of the last two generations.

Back
Top Bottom