When will BMW import 4WD 3/5 series?

Associate
Those who have been to north America can't have missed the fact you see numerous "X" designation 3 and 5 series saloons and estates, which are 4wd models. Now obviously we don't have as much adverse weather as some parts of the US but given the last two winters you'd have thought BMW UK would be thinking seriously about it.

So would you buy a 4WD non-suv BMW? You think they will ever distribute them? Or should BMW leave that niche to audi? Seems to me they fill every other niche so why not this one?

dsb

dsb

Associate
I would not actively look for one but if it was in the spec i wanted i would not discount it for being 4wd.

Man of Honour
No, i would not want a 4WD BMW. They are slower than the RWD versions, less economical, and I don't need a 4WD vehicle.

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox;18036796 said:
No, i would not want a 4WD BMW. They are slower than the RWD versions, less economical, and I don't need a 4WD vehicle.

Fai enuff, but I'm sure others would. Any insight on why BMW haven't previously brought them in?

Man of Honour
Fai enuff, but I'm sure others would. Any insight on why BMW haven't previously brought them in?

Because projected demand in the UK was absolutely zero following 7-8 years of mild winters. I suspect projected demand is now a tad higher thanks to the knee-jerk squad (honestly, they'd be better off with winter tyres if they honestly think they'll get snow all winter), but still probably not enough for it to be worthwhile.

Remember, they don't currently produce them in RHD.

Soldato
I have seen a few dotted around France and Italy:

P1020704.jpg

Associate
OP
I think the demand would be more than zero though fox, and also likely to cannibalise sales of x3/x5 etc, and some incremental sales from the likes of audi and subaru maybe.

Seems to me that BMW build a car for nearly every possible niche and some you don't even think are niches until BMW create them, like the 5GT, so why not offer the 4wd 3/5 series I wonder. Patently they have the money so why not just offer them. I assume they are good?

Soldato
Problem with many modern 4WD cars is that they fit wide high performance tyres which actually makes 4WD cars not a great choice for winter. Also there is the loss of MPG to consider. if people want 4WD, might as well go all out and buy one of the increasing X range (X1, X3, X5, X6)

IMO, RWD + manufacturer recommended winter tyres(correct sizes for winter) should handle anything our climate throws at it. 4WD + wide high performance tyres may give some peope a falsesense of security, "oh, it's 4WD and it's snowing, we can drive normally".

A RWD car fitted with winter tyres will cope with snow better than a sporty 4WD fitted with performance summer tyres and will be miles better under braking! So comparing BMW models, a BMW 3 series fitted with winters will cope better than an X5 on OEM tyres.

I know people in Norway bombing around in old BMW's during the winter and don't have any issues (with correct tyres fitted for the season of course). In fact they prefer RWD in winter. However, they get snow often so hone their skills 4+ months EVERY year. Overhere people don't know how to drive in such conditions, partly because we just don't get these conditions often. And yes I'm one of them but am learning :).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Problem with many modern 4WD cars is that they fit wide high performance tyres which actually makes 4WD cars not a great choice for winter. Also there is the loss of MPG to consider. if people want 4WD, might as well go all out and buy one of the increasing X range (X1, X3, X5, X6)

IMO, RWD + winter tyres should handle anything our climate throws at it. 4WD + wide high performance tyres may give some peope a fall sense of security (oh, it's 4WD and it's snowing, we can drive normally).

A RWD car fitted with winter tyres will cope with snow better than a sporty 4WD fitted with performance summer tyres and will be miles better under braking! So comparing BMW models, a BMW 3 series fitted with winters will cope better than an X5 on OEM tyres.

Yeah but people are lazy so only the tiniest minority is going to stick winter tyres on. Also think your wrong on the 4wd front, it makes a huge huge difference summer tyres or not. It's made a difference between being snowed in or getting to work on numerous occasions the last 2 years for me.

Man of Honour
Look at Audi. Most people buy the Quattro variant only when its the only choice.

There are more FWD A6's than Quattro ones..

DM

DM

Permabanned
Yea i must say that 4 wheel drive on performance tyres has seen me out and about without too much problem and the snow was bad here.

Its all well and good going on about winter tyres but no one bothers, so that does **** RWD a bit dosent it.

Back
Top Bottom