The best petrol you can buy, Optimax, BP Ultimate ... no Tesco 99Ron

Associate
Link to Thorney motorsport

" After 7 months of intensive testing Thorney Motorsport (TMS) can now categorically confirm what the entire car tuning World already knew - the quality of fuel you use in your car has a direct effect on the level of power your car provides. "

Rather than post this in the Supermarket fuel thread and get lost in the shopping trolley arguments, this is of special interest for those of us that run FI or 6 cylinders , iirc the standard mr2 mentioned is an na , somebody correct me here.

Associate
These results conflict with the test bonzai (think it was?) / jap car magazine came out with.

That ended up with Optimax as the best followed by BP then Tesco 99.

However their test was done on the same rollers in one day, so im guessing its a tad more accurate than prancing about for 7 months.

Caporegime
Deffo, spreading the tests out like that are just wrong imho, but still they should give good enough readings.

Now i have proper ways of mapping my afr and the such i'm going to be trying different fuels out.

Associate
OP
"In total the cars were measured between 18-34 times "

So each fuel ( Total , Optimax, Bp Ult, Tesco ) , 3 tanks worth ( from 3 different stations ) used then dyno'ed.

Two cars, four fuels, so four tests per car , done each month for eight months. So plenty of time for the ECU to adjust to real world driving. Seems a valid control approach.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Is the new Shell V-Power now not RON 99 as well?

If so then surely that makes Shell V-Power an equal to Tesco's RON 99 and means that the new V-Power is superior to Optimax and not just a name change?

Associate
V-Power is a new fuel, not just a re-badge of Optimax. It's 99 RON, and has added friction-reduction stuff (TM).

Interesting article in Evo this month, the only fuels that are refined seperately are V-Power, Tesco 99, and BP Ultimate 102. All the other Super unleaded fuels (INCLUDING the "normal" BP Ultimate) are just 97-RON stuff shipped under an exchange agreement from the nearest refinery. i.e. BP ultimate is no different from supermarket super-unleaded......

Soldato
I would imagine the V-Power would be better than Tesco 99 as the MON rating of Optimax was always the equal or better of Tesco 99

So now V-Power should have the same RON but similar or better MON rating than Tesco 99 which is important for power.
However i'm having difficulty finding the specifications sheet for V-Power on the Shell website, strange as it was easy enough when I looked for Optimax...

Caporegime
Goliath said:
BP ultimate is no different from supermarket super-unleaded......

It made the same power as Optimax though according to their test.

Tesco 99 is different as it has 5% bioethanol so it can't just be added like an additive.

Soldato
Goliath said:
V-Power is a new fuel, not just a re-badge of Optimax. It's 99 RON, and has added friction-reduction stuff (TM).

Interesting article in Evo this month, the only fuels that are refined seperately are V-Power, Tesco 99, and BP Ultimate 102. All the other Super unleaded fuels (INCLUDING the "normal" BP Ultimate) are just 97-RON stuff shipped under an exchange agreement from the nearest refinery. i.e. BP ultimate is no different from supermarket super-unleaded......

The base stock of BP Ultimate may be the same as other super unleadeds but the additive package isn't.

Back
Top Bottom