Best motherboard for the Q6600 to sit in

Associate
Hi all,

Qucik & easy one for you all.... I hope

What's the best board for a Q6600 to sit in.

I currently have a Inno 680i which is awful for overclocking my Q6600

Any help would be appreciated.

PS Please don't respond if its telling me to buy a diff CPU (money not available for full upgrade - i.e. mobo, cup, fan, ram etc)

Associate
for overclocking the P35 chipset was always good. Avoid the nforce chipsets, though by the sound of things you have come to that realisation by yourself. To be honest any of the p35 / X38 / P45 / X48 chipsets are fine, though most X48 boards take DDR3 RAM so don't get one if you have DDR2.

From recollection, the asus boards all had good reputations, especially the p5k, p5e and rampage boards - though a rampage may be overkill for you. The DFI lanparty boards were also supposed to be quite good, though i never owned one.

See what you can pick up second hand. I recently managed to pick up an asus p5e X38 board for about £40

Soldato
Is that a G0 version Q6600?
P5Q Deluxe is regarded as the best for ocing Q6600.
But I've had a G0 Q6600 on a Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R board and a Abit IP35 Pro board.
Both P35 Chipsets(P5Q range is P45 Chipset) but happily ran 3.2GHz at stock volts(1.325V) and 3.6GHz at 1.375V.
Ocing amount is very dependent on the components used - specially CPU, so your mileage may vary!

Soldato
+1 for the ASUS P5Q series boards - they really are excellent S775 boards and great for overclocking these quad cores.

I have personally used the P5Q-E and P5Q Pro Turbo and they were both very nice. So if you see any of the following for a decent price (sub-£50) then you are onto a winner:

ASUS P5Q Pro
ASUS P5Q Deluxe
ASUS P5Q-E
ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo
ASUS P5Q Premium

Soldato
Yeah must admit p35 chipset is somewhat lacking but for OC it's an absolute dream.... 425mhz FSB for almost 5 years on my p5k says a lot. Extremesys nerds talk in terms of 500mhz+ for this board :eek:

As far as feature rich and best is concerned, definitely the p5q series of boards

Associate
A little more info don't hurt :)

I had an Abit IP35 Pro with my Q6600 and it clocked to 3.6ghz but I didn't try very hard (probably could go further). I blew it up by plugging in a dead water pump!

I replaced it with a Asus P5Q Deluxe which I still use today and recently I thought I'd see what extra I can get out of my chip now as I'm not so worried about killing it and I'm at 3.8ghz (475x8) and still tinkering. Both really good motherboards.

Soldato
ASUS P5Q Deluxe

It is regarded as the best s775 board and this includes overclocking.

My [email protected] is on the other board Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR which is a decent board aswell. However I do have a feeling that if I switched to Asus P5Q Deluxe, then I can overclock further as it is 8 or 16 phase board. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom