Starting a 10 day fruit/veg juice fast - Few questions

Soldato
Ok I'm not sure why I'm getting such negative feedback, also not sure what the difference is between the word juice or smoothie, I just watched the documentary, really fat people were losing lots of weight doing this fruit/veg fast for 60 days and I think one guy did it for 6 months who was like 429 pounds to begin with and got down to 220 pounds eventually.

It will be down to the amount of calories he is taking in over a sustained period of time being lower than his maintenance, nothing to do with his fruit and veg diet. You could do the exact same thing eating steak and chips every day if it was the same calories and it would probably be healthier!

You guys seem to have some big issues and problems with me doing this juice fast. The way you're all coming across is pretty much how you've always come across with me over the years. It feels like you're flaming me and you're basically laughing at me?

Not really sure where this anger and hatred is coming from? The thread title is "Starting a 10 day fruit/veg juice fast - Few questions" I was hoping someone would reply and say something along the lines of:

Because you're being taken in by one of these quick fix fads that single mums see on daytime tv and think oo yay i too can have that beach body in a week. If you want to lose weight, get on a healthy well balanced diet with a caloric deficit and do something that will last.

Well I'm just seeing it as an investment, a one off, I also found a post on bodybuilding.com about fasting for bodybuilders and how they recommend we do it for 7 days once every 6 months. There's thousands of websites and forums talking about it, I must have read over 20 sites and watched youtube videos etc in last few days.
You can also find 20 sites and youtube videos saying how the shake weight is the best invention ever for bodybuilders and how doing 10 thousand situps a day will give you a flat stomach, doesn't mean it's true.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Why are you cutting out everything other than your juice?
That site specifically says:

I'm not following the plan set on that website mate, I'm following the plan set in the documentary I watched. I don't see this as a problem, it's experience and once I've done it once I might say to myself, I'm never going to do that ever again I felt like rubbish, I had no energy, I was on the toilet every day none stop and it was just a waste of time, energy and money, or perhaps I'll say the opposite and introduce this into my yearly eating regiment.

Soldato
OP
Why don't you just eat a well structured balanced diet that suits your goals :confused: These quick fixes don't last you know.

I do, I eat healthy year round and have one cheat every 4-8 weeks. My family think I'm crazy because I dont eat chocolate/fast food like they do. I dont smoke or drink either. Well accept for parties like Christmas etc which is maybe 3-4 times a year. But compared to when I was at uni and going out drinking 5 nights a week when I was 24 stone over 4 years ago, I now practically drink nothing in comparison.

Soldato
OP
if its juice, then its most likely he will end up doing a lot of damage to his system with the insulin spikes, etc.

if its smoothies, then it's not much different to food and he should be fine.

it is a weird thing to do though. he will lose muscle as well as bodyfat, i doubt anyone could gain muscle on such a diet.

I dont need to gain muscle at the moment, I'm still classed as obese.

Soldato
Joseph Mercola? Oh for **** sake.

No-one is going to say "Hey yeah I did this diet and it's great :)" because a) it's a stupid diet, and therefore b) it wouldn't be 'great' if they tried it.

Soldato
Yes he is. He is one of the most vocal quacks on the internet, and makes vast amounts of money selling "health" products to the gullible. As I said, he is an osteopath, which is one step away from quackery to start with. He has no expertise in either nutrition or vaccination, his two favourite topics.

M
Leaving this here, and let it be on your own head should you not bother to care.

Soldato
OP
Joseph Mercola? Oh for **** sake.

No-one is going to say "Hey yeah I did this diet and it's great :)" because a) it's a stupid diet, and therefore b) it wouldn't be 'great' if they tried it.

I thought fruit/veg juicing/smoothie diets were quite popular though, I know few of my aunties that tried it and said they enjoyed it and lost weight but was on the toilet quite a lot.

Well, I've always wanted to do a detox anyway so if I am on the toilet a lot then so be it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
210 eggs a week and a diet of egg whites/sardines/fresh baby spinach/oats/fruit/protein shakes/vitamin tablets and wanting to stay clean so not taking creatine.

notsureifserious.

You seem to remember my diet quite well lol, I was on that diet for quite some time but its changed to this now:

Meal 1:
100g of oats with water & one tbsp honey - (12.7g protein, 73.4g carbs, 8.4g fat)
10 egg whites with one yoke made as an omelette cooked with 1 calorie spray(made from olive oil). - (40g protein, 4g fat)
100g pineapple – (15g carbs)
1x vitamin c in water, 1x Multivitamin tablet, 1x cod liver oil tablet, 1x omega 3 tablet

Meal 2:
139g Tuna with one tomato and half an onion - (30.1g protein, 15.6g fat)

Meal 3:
100g of oats with water & one tbsp honey - (12.7g protein, 73.4g carbs, 8.4g fat)
10 egg whites with one yoke made as an omelette cooked with 1 calorie spray(made from olive oil). - (40g protein, 4g fat)

Meal 4 - PWO:
60g Whey protein shake - (two scoops = 50.2g protein, 4.2g carbs, 4g fat)

Meal 5:
10 egg whites with one yoke made as an omelette cooked with 1 calorie spray(made from olive oil) - (40g protein, 4g fat)
1 tbsp organic peanut butter – (3g protein, 3g carbs, 8g fat)
1x vitamin c in water, 1x Multivitamin tablet, 1x cod liver oil tablet, 1x omega 3 tablet

Meal 6:
139g Tuna with one tomato and half an onion - (30.1g protein, 15.6g fat)
100g sweetcorn & 100g peas – (10.3 protein, 27.6 carbs. 3.2g fat)

Meal 7:
30g Casein protein shake - (one scoops = 27.4g protein, 0.6g carbs, 0.3g fat)

Protein = 296.5g = 1186 kcal
Carbs = 197.2g = 788.8 kcal
Fat = 78.5g = 706.5 kcal
Calories = 2681.3 kcal

Anyways, I'll do the 10 day veg/fruit juice fast and post back after to let you know the results, if you care lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
whats with all the weirdness ?

why cant you just eat a healty balanced diet that is calorie deficient for you and increase your excercise ?

edit:

i mean this serisouly, i dont mean to be rude..

30 eggs a day , why ?

and protein shakes, also why ?

Soldato
OP
whats with all the weirdness ?

why cant you just eat a healty balanced diet that is calorie deficient for you and increase your excercise ?

Mate I eat 100% healthy 99% of the time, and I train 5 days a week for 1 hour 45 mins - (1 hour weights, 15 mins abs, 30 mins cardio + do lots of walking on top of this obviously). This is just something I want to try for 10 days, whats the harm? I think this is a better idea then those people that go waste money on tablets that say you'll lose x amount of pounds in x amount of days and end up doing nothing, some of those tablets cost £30-£60, ridiculous and I'd never buy them. Where as with this I'm just going to eat...or should I say drink...fruit/veg/whey for 10 days and hopefully makes me feel good and after that I'll go back to my usual healthy diet but introduce juices/smoothies into my every day life.

Last edited:
Soldato
no harm , and if you want to do it, go for it. like you said it wont hurt you. i wasnt refeing to the 10 day juice thing in my comment.

i was refering to the 30 eggs a day

i also misunderstood when you said you werent worried about muscle, i assumed you werent training.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
if its juice, then its most likely he will end up doing a lot of damage to his system with the insulin spikes, etc.

if its smoothies, then it's not much different to food and he should be fine.

it is a weird thing to do though. he will lose muscle as well as bodyfat, i doubt anyone could gain muscle on such a diet.

I've been reading about the insulin spikes and it says to choose veggies and fruits that aren't high in sugar so not to cause insulin spikes and not to overload your body with sugar, I've yet to research this but I'll hopefully find a list of fruit and veggies suitable for my plan.

Soldato
OP
no harm , and if you want to do it, go for it. like you said it wont hurt you. i wasnt refeing to the 10 day juice thing in my comment.

i also misunderstood when you said you werent worried about muscle, i assumed you werent training.

Well I dont know whats going to happen, in the documentary and the websites I've read and the youtube videos I've watched everyone says they have lots of energy when doing this, but I'm thinking maybe because of the amount of energy I need for my training which is usually HIT with the weights and HIIT with the cardio that maybe I'll end up going to the gym and being like "omg, I have no energy and my strength has gone!!!", so maybe for two weeks whilst I do this 10 days fruit/veg/whey fast I'll need to perhaps change my routine slightly to compensate, I dont know..hopefully not.

As for the eggs, we've had this discussion so many times before, eggs are great, I mainly have egg whites but I've started to throw in one yoke in each meal for the extra fat in my diet.

Soldato
OP
I think you should do this. Maybe then you'll exhaust yourself of these stupid diets and settle on something good and sustainable.

What are these 15 minutes of "abs" you do everyday out of curiosity?

Hey if anything I just love the pain I feel the next morning when I lean forward to get out of bed and your abs at the the front and sides are hurting, its a good pain! :p

Also the food I usually eat isnt really a diet for me, its more a life style choice, and I think its quite sustainable, I'll pretty much eat what I eat now for the rest of my life accept to sometimes do high or low carbs and throw in some different fish from time to time.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Also regarding the muscle, I just meant my focus is not to gain muscle at the moment and any muscle I do gain or maintain is just a bonus but my only focus from 29th april 2011 has been to reduce bodyfat percentage and I plan to continue on this path for as long as it takes, I hoped to be finished by end of this year so I could bulk from january 2013 onwards but I might end up cutting all the way to next summer if thats what it takes. I'm thinking another 30 pounds and I should be there.

Caporegime
the reason why your still fat is because your eating 7 meals a day.

give IF a go, i lost 8KG in 2 months.

basically the first week i only allowed myself to eat for 4 hours a day (4pm-8pm).

the second week onwards 6 hours a day (2pm-8pm).

my body has now got used to this, and i now even when i dont fast can only manage to eat 2 meals a day (1 of them being a bowl of cereal).

guess what, im losing weight, eating whatever i want. eating smaller portions, less meals and never feeling hungry.

the most important thing is, if your eating and you feel full, stop eating, even if you only have a little left, just leave it. overeating is the problem. i also drink pints of water constantly. i have 3 big water bottles i keep with me.

combine the above with some cardio and stronglifts 5 x 5, you should have a 6 pack within 6 months. only if your 100% willing to do the above exactly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom