Is GAP insurance worth it?

Associate
[TW]Fox;27962085 said:
How about we start this thread again but use actual pounds rather than 'spacebucks' because it's worthyness depends on a few things chief of which being the actual price paid for the car, the other being what the car is and what its likely depreciation might be and how its funded.

FWIW, it's NEVER worth buying from the dealer as the same product can be had online for about 100 quid.

Allow me to translate.

IMO OP, it depends on a number of factors such as car value and depreciation, but typically speaking if you do decide to get GAP insurance, then have a look online first as it's usually a lot cheaper than from the car dealership as they add a big mark up to it.

You do have a way about you don't you.... Lol ;)

Associate
When I got my Hyundai i10 last year, I went for the gap insurance purely for peace of mind.
Then again, I'm paying £2.50 a month for the privilege, obviously more expensive car would cost more.

Soldato
Slightly OT, but I've been wondering this for a while.

If you have a GAP policy and have an accident which is found to be the fault of a third party, can the GAP insurer claim their costs back from the third party?

One of the advantages of the ALA policy is you can transfer the cover to another vehicle if you decide to change cars part way through the policy. Dealer GAP policies I've had didn't allow this.

Back
Top Bottom