BBc problems in the South East this evening???

Soldato
Hi

ANyone else experiencing problems with BBC 1 & 2 this evening in the kent area??

This morning we had no signal on bbc 1 and 2 and this evening the picture is breaking up really badly.

Have checked on both the TV's built in freeview and the Hummy and it's bad with both, all other channels seem ok.

This is the Bluebell hill transmitter I believe.

Soldato
Weather related:-

Co-channel interference often happens when areas of high atmospheric pressure are present or when a static area of high pressure is dislodged by an approaching weather front causing "ionospheric or troposheric ducting" and temperature inversions. During this time, the lower parts of the ionosphere temporarily reflect radio waves back down to earth over extended distances giving much greater transmitter coverage than normal. Unfortunately, there is no cure for co-channel television interference, other than to wait for the prevailing weather conditions that cause it to pass.

High atmospheric pressure often allows reception of UHF TV stations many hundreds of miles away, often including French TV, Dutch and German TV channels which are normally totally out of range. In some cases very strong interfering signals can be experienced during enhanced VHF and UHF tropospheric conditions and the interference can last for a day or two and occasionally much longer.

Digital terrestrial TV services such as Freeview can be affected by co-channel interference too, causing the digital TV picture to freeze with a low signal quality reading and signal dropout. Co-channel interference does not normally affect Sky TV or any satellite TV service, but it can cause interference on the UHF channel used to distribute Sky TV or satellite around your home.

Interestingly, whilst the signal from a TV transmitter might be enhanced at the fringe area of coverage during high pressure enhanced radio conditions, areas closer to the transmitter may actually experience reduced signal levels, giving a poor TV picture

Associate
Ive lost nearly all freeview channels at the moment in Harlow. They appear for a bit, but a very broken, then I`ll drop signal for 30s then it will flash back for 10s....etc

So much for spooks. Might have to watch it on iplayer on PS3 after 10

*edit* its all channels. I was thinking the aerial on the flat was broken

Associate
Did notice drop outs on all channels yesterday and today (Freeview is unwatchable). Must be atmospheric conditions, as suggested, due to high pressure sitting over us. My area has not switched to digital, but I do pickup some digital channels. Heathfield transmitter due to change in 2012. Analogue has been fine.

I upgraded my TV cable (F connector to UHF TV male) from a old cheap 75ohm white cable to a 7 metre Ixos quad shielded cable (£26) two months ago. Made a massive difference - no more constant drop outs / low signal, all due to interference from nearby computer / mains and the old poor cable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom