4 on 4 off Shift working,

Soldato
i don't mind shift work so long as it's permanent days (or nights). it's when it's alternating that it really ***** your body clock up. i won't ever do that again. it simply isn't worth it.

This man speaks the truth.

Crappy shifts are also supposed to shorten your life and it's no surprise really.

Man of Honour
I do 3 on 3 off (12 hour days) and I love it, so much extra usable free time compared to 8hrs 5 days a week.

That sounds so much better than 9-5, though I guess its nice to have the consistency of weekends I suppose. What is it you do, Dolph?

I'd love to have a working pattern like that but it only seems to happen in specific industries :(

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16660383 said:
That sounds so much better than 9-5, though I guess its nice to have the consistency of weekends I suppose. What is it you do, Dolph?

I'd love to have a working pattern like that but it only seems to happen in specific industries :(

anywhere anything needs to be done 24/7.

Television (mine), nursing, navy, etc etc.

Our weekends are when you guys are all at work. And as someone else said, i'm off for half the month :)

Soldato
I work 4 days, 4 off, 4 nights, 4 off.

It is better than 3 because you do lose a day after nights sleeping. 5 might be too much.

Lack of weekends is annoying, especially as I have to book time off with a months notice.

I was originally booking the day shifts off because at night we don't do much work.:p

But lack of weekends was annoying, so now I generally use my holidays on the night shifts at weekends.

If it wasn't for the extra money I would definitely do 9-5. But also it is kinda good having so many days off so I do like it. Especially the holidays, 4 days off = 12. can do that over 7 times a year.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;16660383 said:

I work in the mobile phone industry. one of the advantages of being surrounded by a call centre is that it's much easier for hours to be flexible as the building has long opening hours :)

Soldato
I work 4 days, 4 off, 4 nights, 4 off.

It is better than 3 because you do lose a day after nights sleeping. 5 might be too much.

It really depends on how you cope with shift work in general. If you can do 5 days in a row there is no real reason why you can't do 5 nights. It all depends on how much sleep you get. I find I actually get more sleep on nights because I dont come home and stay up watching tv and stuff.

With overtime oppertunities available where I work I have often done 10+ shifts in a row and thats gone up at times to 17. A couple of months I worked 27 12 hour shifts becuase the OT was there, I needed the money and I know I can deal with shifts. Not everyone can though, I know enough people that get properly tetchy after 5 shifts, mainly becuase they dont get enough sleep.

We have all found though that working more shifts in a row and having moer off afterwards is much nicer than 2 or 3 on and 2 or 3 off. Changing the clock around that often isnt good

Associate
I worked 4 on 4 off for many years, the days off are good, plenty of time to do most things you can think of. Only advice would be to NOT spend too much of your off days in bed sleeping :) Use the extra time off and do something with it.

Back
Top Bottom