• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Budget GFX card for blu ray

Soldato
As thread title. I won't be playing games so just need a basic card that does everything needed for blu ray. Max £40-£50.

GT 220 a possible or is there anything better for the price?

Cheers.

Soldato
OP
Would a 4670 do everything I need or is it a little bit outdated? I can get an 1GB MSI HD 4670 for around £55.

Is it worth paying that little extra?

Would wouldn't I get from onboard 4250 graphics that I'd get from a standalone card?

Last edited:
Soldato
Would a 4670 do everything I need or is it a little bit outdated? I can get an 1GB MSI HD 4670 for around £55.

Is it worth paying that little extra?

Would wouldn't I get from onboard 4250 graphics that I'd get from a standalone card?
Not point getting 4670 unless you will be doing a little bit of gaming, and the 1GB is also pointless unless you are gaming. Also, 4670 doesn't have the new audio feature as the HD5000 series.

4670:
* Integrated HD audio controller with support for stereo and multi-channel (up to 7.1) audio formats, including PCM, AC-3, AAC, and DTS, enabling a plug-and-play cable-less audio solution over DisplayPort (or HDMI depending on section)

5450:
* Integrated HD audio controller
* Output protected high bit rate 7.1 channel surround sound over HDMI with no additional cables required
* Supports AC-3, AAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats

Soldato
OP
Not point getting 4670 unless you will be doing a little bit of gaming, and the 1GB is also pointless unless you are gaming. Also, 4670 doesn't have the new audio feature as the HD5000 series.

4670:
* Integrated HD audio controller with support for stereo and multi-channel (up to 7.1) audio formats, including PCM, AC-3, AAC, and DTS, enabling a plug-and-play cable-less audio solution over DisplayPort (or HDMI depending on section)

5450:
* Integrated HD audio controller
* Output protected high bit rate 7.1 channel surround sound over HDMI with no additional cables required
* Supports AC-3, AAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats

Sorry, forgot about this. Thanks. :)

Say I wanted to a bit of gaming at 1920x1080. Would the minimum card be something like a 5750? That would do everything the 5450 does regarding TrueHD and blu ray wouldn't it?

Caporegime
Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks chaps.

I'll be picking up the Samsung Blu Ray drive on Monday. Will give things a go with the onboard sound and PowerDVD 9 Ultra's dolby headphone option.

I'll be putting the GFX card on hold until I get a separate AV reciever and connect from the card's HDMI to the receiver. That should work shouldn't it? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom