*** The Official Diablo III Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I've stayed clear of the AH until last night near the end of Act III, I have a Barbarian with dual wielding axes and I just didn't feel like they were doing the job anymore it was taking me ages to kill enemies. I was hoping some good weapons would drop off a few of those packs but no luck so I went to the AH and grabbed myself 2 new weapons for 6k. I felt a little dirty after doing it I won't lie but I think if you've been unlucky with your drops in the game there's nothing wrong with using the AH to help yourself out a bit.

+1

Associate
Why are people so against buying items from the AH? Worried it'll ruin the game or something?

As with HeX, the point of Diablo to me is finding the gear. If the point to others is just getting the gear then fine, but I wont be using the AH until way way down the line if ever.

Without something to aim for, better gear with better stats, then there would be no point in my eyes. Doesn't bother me what others do at all mind.

Associate
I got no problem with the AH, found some awesome gears for less then 10k each.

Pricing in the AH is ridicules, 10k for the same gear but another want to charge 1m-3m for it.

Soldato
I don't see how the AH ruins the game, you still have to use you're own gold, its no different than buying items that randomly generate at the vendors. Gold = Time spent in game farming/progressing.

Soldato
Why are people so against buying items from the AH? Worried it'll ruin the game or something?

I don't think it is necessarily people being against buying from the AH, it is more to do with how some people like to play the game. I, personally, like to find things for myself and if I'm not up to scratch then will try and find the items that will bring me up to the standard I need, as opposed to doing a quick search on the AH.

I think it is also to do with the sweeping statements claiming that you can't do anything more than Normal without going to the AH. I would like to think, much like D2, that I will be playing this for a good few years and as such will be able to pick up the decent items and make some decent builds that will make Inferno doable.

I see the game as a long term thing and seeing as it has only been out for just over a week, people are being a bit short-sighted and impatient with their want to complete the game as quickly as possible.

Just my 2p :)

Caporegime
Ah yes, I know nothing of Diablo :( I never played D1 or D2 to death... o wait... yes I did.

The higher levels aren't impossible, you just have to go back and farm for the gear you need. Which is what most people did in D2 if they wanted to progress. You however bought your way ahead of the curve by buying top end hand picked gear instead.

Please come back when you have played beyond normal. Seriously D3 is as like D2 as Halo is like ARMA. I never said you didn't know about Diablo, I said you didn't know about Diablo 3. You're talking about something from theory and assuming it's the same as previous games.

Associate
I don't think it is necessarily people being against buying from the AH, it is more to do with how some people like to play the game. I, personally, like to find things for myself and if I'm not up to scratch then will try and find the items that will bring me up to the standard I need, as opposed to doing a quick search on the AH.

I think it is also to do with the sweeping statements claiming that you can't do anything more than Normal without going to the AH. I would like to think, much like D2, that I will be playing this for a good few years and as such will be able to pick up the decent items and make some decent builds that will make Inferno doable.

I see the game as a long term thing and seeing as it has only been out for just over a week, people are being a bit short-sighted and impatient with their want to complete the game as quickly as possible.

Just my 2p :)

+1

People complaining that the harder difficulties are "not doable without AH" is just plain wrong. Farming people! Farming!

Associate
Some people like to use there gold though, which takes them time to build up. Almost like farming for that perfect item.

I am not saying that is the "wrong" way of playing.

I am not judging people for not wanting to farm for hours and hours just so they can do the next quest. (not everyone has that patience)

I am just saying that you CAN play without the AH, you don't have to use it when you get stuck.

Soldato
Makes sense, I have a totally different style of play though. I like to farm lots of gold with the sole aim of buying the best gear I can get my hands on.

I'm pretty driven by cash. :p

Associate

Yes.
70% of the game is getting shiny things, drops off mobs and chests that you have worked to kill/find.

If you can go onto the auction house and buy those drops for a stupidly cheap price, then it sucks the fun out of it.

And it seems that you very very rarely get drops that you require, which pushes people towards the auction house.

It's a good move by blizzard I guess, as with the incoming real money auction house, they will actually be able to make money off peoples impatience and their lack of any decent, regular loot drops.

Associate
Makes sense, I have a totally different style of play though. I like to farm lots of gold with the sole aim of buying the best gear I can get my hands on.

I'm pretty driven by cash. :p

And this is the beauty of this game, trading is so easy now that the people that don't want to spend as much time, don't have to!

It's one of the reasons that I think Blizzard has done a great job.

Soldato
I like to to do abit of both, if i am really stuck ill just go to the AH (iv only used it once) and i am on hell mode atm. While i respect the players of DII for being hardcore with farming to progress, DIII offers the best of both worlds. You can just play it how you want, that's the glory of it!

I like to farm and spend gold! :p

Associate
I quite liked how the economy in Diablo 2 was based on bartering and not a currency. Back in my day, we dealt with Stormshields, 290s and SoJs, not gold.

Yup.

Although after a while you could buy 5-6 runes of any type from legitimate 3rd party sites. 6 Zods for a £1 and you were pretty rich.

Associate
Anyone around Act II NM up for playing? Or even further. I'm just looking for someone capable of smashing things up to make things a lot quicker for me because i want to get to Hell as soon as possible. I'll probably give you something good in return once i have anything worth having, lol. And here's a thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
The drops are too plentiful on the whole making Diablo easier than it should be. Just like WoW the harder difficulties are trivialized by simply getting overly inflated gear.

The knock on effect being that the AH is a joke (like WoW) and will only get worse. This doesn't bode well for the upcoming real money economy or for the longevity of the game.

Associate
The drops are too plentiful on the whole making Diablo easier than it should be. Just like WoW the harder difficulties are trivialized by simply getting overly inflated gear.

The knock on effect being that the AH is a joke (like WoW) and will only get worse. This doesn't bode well for the upcoming real money economy or for the longevity of the game.

I think for the casual player it ups the longevity of the game. Players who find NM/Hell too hard without such thing as the AH would probably eventually quit playing. What they need to is make a whole bunch of legendarys much more powerful than rares and not allow people to sell or buy them through the AH. People would use it to get through the difficulties but then have to farm/barter for the proper good stuff required for PvP or getting through Inferno.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom