Quick question about beef steak colour

Soldato
Hi all,

Im not very knowledgable with food, and couldn't find much when I googled. I've got a sirloin steak here that has been in the fridge for a 3 days and the sell by date is the 24th of July. So it should be fine, but I was slightly concerned to see patches of gray/browness on the steak. Does this mean the meat has gone off? I smelt a bit of the meat that I cut off and threw away which had a bit of brown on and it smelt fine so it didn't seem to have gone off. If it hasn't gone off, then what is this colour?

Cheers!

Man of Honour
No, it's meant to be brown but supermarkets put stupid agents on to stop oxidisation that turns it brown.
As long as it smells fine, it will be fine.

Soldato
OP
Ok cool, I didn't really think to smell it before hand before smothering it in a bit of marinade. But I wasn't overpowered by any sort of smell so I'm hoping it is not off!

Cheers for the help

Soldato
just make sure you put a thermometer in it and check its cooked in the middle :)

If you cook steak to a "safe" temperature it will be inedible. The inside of a steak should not get over 58C. Most of the risk is on the outside and as long as it's cooked correctly in a vvv hot pan you'll be fine.

And beans with steak = wrongness.

Permabanned
you can eat beef raw, it's stuff like chicken and pork you have to be careful of.

beef mince is different though, as the bacteria are then not just on the surface.

Man of Honour
should be garlic mushrooms, chip shop chips and onion rings.
Sauce is upto the eater. I like mayo and englsh mustard mixed.

Back
Top Bottom