H80i position

Soldato
Hey I will be using a H80i in a migrate to a bitfenix prodigy to cool the CPU.
How should I be mounting the h80i?
Will be using the fans that come with the cooler.

I was thinking the best thing to do would be to mount the H80i in at the rear and set the fans to intakes, to pull fresh air from the outside via the back and have a 120mm in the rear top slot (if there is enough room...doubt it) to suck the hot air out, and use one of these for good measure to stop dust getting in - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CM-086-OK or should it be the other way around to use the cool air from the front fan and push the hot air out the case? This might be common sense but I've never used a radiator type cooler before.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I use my H80i at rear with fans set to intake in push and pull. Keeps my cpu at 27c at idle. You need a good case for letting hot air out. I have 7 fans....My 2 top fans are for outflow. also on dust you'll need good filters. The ones you linked work really good. I bought 4 DEMCiflex filters a few weeks back. I use one on the back for the H80i and it works amazing too.

Soldato
OP
So its best to use the fans as intake?
Could also just use one fan to push air through the radiator then put a 120mm in the top (it would fit then I think), to suck the hot air from the radiator + the rest of the case out.

Permabanned
Yes you can only use 1 fan. I did for 3 days and the temps were very good, but adding 2 fans the temps were a few C better.

You can use the H80i as intake or outflow, but if your case gets hot I would use the H80i as intake. You don't want hot air going through your h80i your CPU temps would be too high. Just have the top fan in your case out outflow and your H80i as intake and you'll be happy with temps.

Hope that helps:)

Associate
I have mine setup like this
B44CA6E8-EF57-4363-9C51-A4C8A3624770-5136-0000027818413E94.jpg

It seemed a little tight to mount it on the back wall or mounted on the ceiling (rear) so I left the fans where a bitfenix put them and stuck the fan on the ceiling (front) as you can see.

Soldato
OP
I'll go with 1 fan on the h80ti at the rear sucking air in and one 120mm on the top (using the included splitter in the h80ti box to connect this 120mm and the front 230mm to the 1 header) to suck the air out so the air that gets pushed through the h80i (will be hot when it comes out the other end) will get sucked out straight away and see how it goes, if it fits that is, not sure if its going to be too fat for a top 120mm even with just 1 of the fans on, if thats the case I'll just do push/pull and never look back ^^

Picking up the case next week and didn't want to be sitting there scratching my head on how to mount things......my AX750 is going to be a tight fit! :p

Thanks!

Last edited:
Permabanned
I'll go with 1 fan on the h80ti at the rear sucking air in and one 120mm on the top to suck the air out so the air that gets pushed through the h80i (will be hot when it comes out the other end) will get sucked out straight away and see how it goes.

Picking up the case next week and didn't want to be sitting there scratching my head on how to mount things......my AX750 is going to be a tight fit! :p

Thanks!

I'm sure the H80i will keep temps down for you. Lets us know how it goes after install mate:)

This is my set up

S1900005.jpg

S1900006.jpg

Also with only 1 fan

S1890014.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Oh while you're here, how do you find the fans on the h80i? quiet? ^^ I hope so <.< my system right now (although its a bloody mess in there atm) is like...well I can't hear anything apart from the CPU fan (artic cooler 7 pro, like a boss) lol and even then its barely audio able.

Associate
I don't own that case, but your set up looks good mate:)

Thank you :)

I forgot to dust the graphics card when it was transplanted and I'm unsure as to whether I will bother with any further tidying of cables, seeing as they can't be seen anyway!

For reference, my H80i sucks air in and the rear fans exhausts. I've yet to receive a fan splitter so I can run the front fan as well but that will exhaust as well. I figured the Radiator would benefit from cold air rather than warm 'second hand' air.

Permabanned
Thank you :)

I forgot to dust the graphics card when it was transplanted and I'm unsure as to whether I will bother with any further tidying of cables, seeing as they can't be seen anyway!

For reference, my H80i sucks air in and the rear fans exhausts. I've yet to receive a fan splitter so I can run the front fan as well but that will exhaust as well. I figured the Radiator would benefit from cold air rather than warm 'second hand' air.

Agreed, you don't really need to tidy cables because your case is closed, but if you do tidy it does help with air flow.

Back
Top Bottom