Tarmac cost for driveway

Permabanned
We have a driveway leading to the garage that is tarmac, next to it is an area of gravel which could be used for a car (if the wall was cut back by a few feet to ease getting in and out).

Can anyone give me a rough idea of the cost of tarmac per square meter, and how deep it is layed for a driveway.

Soldato
I re-laid my tarmac driveway 2yrs ago and extended it.

You basically will need to go down about 18cm and then put a base of hardcore down, this then needs to be rolled.
After which two layers of tarmac will need to be laid. The basecoat and then a top finishing layer.

Your be looking at about £25+ p/s/m just for the tarmac.

I did all the ground work myself, putting the hardcore down and the edging kerb stones, rolling it, etc.
I then got someone from a tarmac company to lay the two layers as a foreigner.

Get some quotes and i would only use a recommended tarmac company.

Permabanned
OP
I shant be using some door knocking gang with "a bit leftover"!

I'm aware of the need for a good base and then the 2 layers, i can do the prep myself to save money like you ScoobyDoo did.

The altenative is to concrete it rather than tarmac, i guess that is equally expensive, if not more so?

Soldato
I have a slanted driveway I want tarmac, - does this cost extra? It's not something I want to do just yet - just want a vague idea before I start getting quotes.

I'd say it was a 35 degree incline.

Thanks

Soldato
The altenative is to concrete it rather than tarmac, i guess that is equally expensive, if not more so?
I would bet it would be near the same price. But concrete has its advantages. First, it is much more durable if laid properly. You can include recycled products in it such as rubber and glass to cut down cost. And best of all, when the sun beats down on it in the summer it doesn't radiate 500° heat into your home and surrounding area and escalate your cooling bill.

I have a slanted driveway I want tarmac, - does this cost extra? It's not something I want to do just yet - just want a vague idea before I start getting quotes.

I'd say it was a 35 degree incline.

Thanks
35 degrees! :eek: if it rains and you have tarmac you'll never get your car up there!

Soldato
Tarmac yer drive for yer mister, i'll just get the tools from me caravan.

A mate of mine actually paid some gypos to do his drive, then they charged him double what they said to begin with, be careful on the ***** route if you go there :D

Man of Honour
Look what I've done with mine this last week with my mate (he did most of the work) -

dmpdrive1.jpg

dmpdrive2.jpg

dmpdrive3.jpg

dmpdrive4.jpg

dmpdrive5.jpg

dmpdrive6.jpg

Man of Honour
dmpoole - thats quite some work for 2 people in a week. I'm pretty sure its not your normal line of work, nice job!

We also had another bloke with us who always works with him.
I've had this last week off so helped where I can (lots of tea).
It's over a week, the wall was done last thursday & friday but the pair of them go off to other jobs they are doing as well.
I've never seen 2 people work so hard.

Back
Top Bottom