Working hours for an 18 year old and over - What is the maximum and what is the minimum? Help needed

BuZ

BuZ

Associate
I need a little help in getting the correct and up to date information on working hours (both minimum and maximum).

What is the maximum a 18 year old and over can work and what is the minimum?

I've just joined JSA (Job Seekers Allowance) and it says I have to work "Most 40 hours". I am relatively confused over this what they've put and told me. Tried searching the internet and I am getting a range of different results.

Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
The minimum is zero and the maximum is limited by the Working Time Directive. I forget the UK numbers but isn't it capped at 48 or something similar?

e : hang on, sorry. What is it you want to know and how does it relate to JSA?

Last edited:
Soldato
is that to claim wtc because i'd have thought you could work as many or as few hours as you'd like if you did or didnt care about pay..

Caporegime
Nothing wrong with what the OP is asking but.......

We have EU members working here as they don't ask these questions. 18 year olds surely come under the same as everyone 18 and over?

BuZ

BuZ

Associate
OP
[FnG]magnolia;23406301 said:
The minimum is zero and the maximum is limited by the Working Time Directive. I forget the UK numbers but isn't it capped at 48 or something similar?

e : hang on, sorry. What is it you want to know and how does it relate to JSA?

I don't know, but I have researched and have found out that I cannot work more than "48 hours" due to a law restriction.

I am asking because I need help in this particular issue and I've been search all over for the information. Would help if they job centre had given me a little more information.

This stuff is confusing, but oh well. xD

BuZ

BuZ

Associate
OP
Nothing wrong with what the OP is asking but.......

We have EU members working here as they don't ask these questions. 18 year olds surely come under the same as everyone 18 and over?

I find it quite baffling and confusing to take in. I search it and found mixed results so I thought to myself "this isn't doing anything" and I decide to come onto forums and ask people for further help in this.

BuZ

BuZ

Associate
OP
is that to claim wtc because i'd have thought you could work as many or as few hours as you'd like if you did or didnt care about pay..

I know that you don't get pay on "volunteering" work/jobs. I don't know about the working hours and working pay; that is my main problem.

Soldato
Pretty certain you can sign a form that says you have no issues working over the 48 hour limit. Not sure if that bumps it up to 60 hours a week or unlimited, so long as you have X time of down the line.

Soldato
As far as I know, if your claiming JSA the maximum you are allowed to work is 16 hours, and even then the money earned through work is taken off your JSA.

For working tax credits if you are single with no kids then you need to do a minimum 30 hours before you can claim.

There is no minimum or maximum otherwise, although law stipulates you are entitled to atleast 11 hours rest between shifts.

BuZ

BuZ

Associate
OP
As far as I know, if your claiming JSA the maximum you are allowed to work is 16 hours, and even then the money earned through work is taken off your JSA.

For working tax credits if you are single with no kids then you need to do a minimum 30 hours before you can claim.

There is no minimum or maximum otherwise, although law stipulates you are entitled to atleast 11 hours rest between shifts.

Thanks :) That has put my mind at rest. :) I cannot thank you enough for it. :) Better than going through page after page of nonsense and fake information.

Back
Top Bottom