CM Megaflow v Corsair 650D stock fans

Associate
I have tried looking for the specs about the stock fans in the corsair 650d and cannot find any. Can anybody with this case who has switched the 200mm fans out and replaced them with the Megaflows tell me if they are much quieter.
I am running the stock fans on the inbuilt controller on low and they still seem quite noisy.

Thanks

Associate
ive swapped mine around and i never had a problem with the stock fans with the fan controller that came with the case from overclockers that made them quieter anyway.

The megaflow is really quiet though i never heard them. Loudest fan in my pc is the graphics card sometimes. My whole system runs really quiet

Caporegime
I wouldn't recommend the Spectre Pro fans if you value silence.

I have used both 120mm and 230mm versions, they are too loud compared with the standard Spectre non pro fans

Associate
OP
Thanks for the heads up about the spectres. Looking at the specs for both the CMs and the spectres, the CM push a lot more air but at a lower pressure, any thoughts on which suit the this case better.
Am I also correct in thinking that fitting the CM (due to them being thicker) to the front requires the removal or moving of the lower hard drive bay.

Thanks

Associate
replaced red 1000rpm 200mm megaflow for a blue 800rpm 200mm megaflow, 1 front, 1 top. Not sure whats the best option, top to blow in, or spit hot air hot, becouse once its used as an exhaust, it creates a better suction for front intake and hense airflow. Dual vipers on antec in my case, dont really cause a problem, thats what i keep telling myself ;)

Soldato
Got a MegaFlow on the front of mine. Swapped the LEDs out with white ones to fit in with the power and HDD lights on the case. :) Very quiet fan, recommended.

Am I also correct in thinking that fitting the CM (due to them being thicker) to the front requires the removal or moving of the lower hard drive bay.

Can't help you on that one as I have never used the front HDD bay. Sorry.

Permabanned
Got a MegaFlow on the front of mine. Swapped the LEDs out with white ones to fit in with the power and HDD lights on the case. :) Very quiet fan, recommended.

Can't help you on that one as I have never used the front HDD bay. Sorry.

would you mind taking a pic of the front of your case with the grill on? I'd like to see how the leds look illuminated through it.

If only Noctua made 200mm fans I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Associate
OP
I bought one of the 200mm spectre's and really disappointed with it to the degree that I will consider RMA'ing it. It is really quiet but that is only because it hardly moves any air at all. The OC web site states a CFM of 65 and a air pressure of 1.48mmH2O however the box states a CFM of 47 and an air pressure of 0.41.
I currently have a megaflow on its way so hopefully that will be a significant improvement.

Soldato
The CM fan is a lot quieter than the stock fans, but 'Meagreflow' would be a more fitting name.

They also use a cheap sleeve bearing which can start to whine after a while.

Associate
If you fit a spectre pro be prepared for lots of noise, the front grill is too close and will create turbulence and a lot of noise. To solve the problem I cut the stock 200mm corsair fan off its frame and used the frame as a spacer to space it from the grill. Its now silent.

Permabanned
I bought one of the 200mm spectre's and really disappointed with it to the degree that I will consider RMA'ing it. It is really quiet but that is only because it hardly moves any air at all. The OC web site states a CFM of 65 and a air pressure of 1.48mmH2O however the box states a CFM of 47 and an air pressure of 0.41.
I currently have a megaflow on its way so hopefully that will be a significant improvement.

Which fan is that? I ordered the Spectre Pro and the tech specs are different. :confused:

- Air Flow (CFM): 148.72 CFM ±10%
- Air Pressure (mmH2O): 1.26 mmH2O

Thanks for the pic top gun I went with the BitFenix Spectre PRO's in the end.

Associate
OP
Which fan is that? I ordered the Spectre Pro and the tech specs are different. :confused:

- Air Flow (CFM): 148.72 CFM ±10%
- Air Pressure (mmH2O): 1.26 mmH2O

Thanks for the pic top gun I went with the BitFenix Spectre PRO's in the end.

It was the standard spectre 200mm fan I got, not the pro version. One other odd thing I noticed about the standard spectre is that you can only mount it one way. If you want to mount it at the front it can only be used as an exhaust not an intake.

Still looking for a suitable fan for the front, one that doesnt need the removal/moving of the hard drive bays and is quiet, any more suggestions.

Permabanned
It was the standard spectre 200mm fan I got, not the pro version. One other odd thing I noticed about the standard spectre is that you can only mount it one way. If you want to mount it at the front it can only be used as an exhaust not an intake.

Still looking for a suitable fan for the front, one that doesnt need the removal/moving of the hard drive bays and is quiet, any more suggestions.

I'll let you know how I get on with the pro version. They should be with me by Friday at the very latest.

Back
Top Bottom