4 on 4 off Shift working,

Permabanned
Hi Guys,

Just woundering if any one here does a 4 on 4 off shift work? how do you find it?

at the moment i am working over 2 hours away so spend more then 4 hours traveling, i have been offered a interview for a role about 15mins away but its working on a 4 days on, 4 off then 4 nights on, not sure about this, i like my weekends

so anyone here do a shift like this? if so what do you think of it?

Man of Honour
I do 3 on 3 off (12 hour days) and I love it, so much extra usable free time compared to 8hrs 5 days a week.

It might be worth pointing out that I hate weekends because everywhere is too busy however...

Associate
Hi there, i'm starting 4 on 4 off from next monday, I'm looking forward to it because I don't do much at weekends. At the moment I find it hard to do anything during the week and then weekends I just sleep.

Having spoken to the other folks on the same pattern they say its better than working mon-fri because you will still get a few weekends off in a row every so often and you get time during the week.

Soldato
I've done 4 off 4, 2 days 2 nights and whilst I'd do it again if I had to, it's not something I'd like to do ever again if I can help it.

4 days on, 4 off, 4 nights seems alright though because you have plenty of time to recover but then you don't know until you get into it really.

The time off is great though. :)

Soldato
I used to do something like that years ago. Worked well. Just remember that you sometimes you might have to work whole weekends as it would work out like that from time to time. Otherwise, 4 days off in a row if pretty darn good won't you say?

Associate
all shift work can be a pain as there you wont be able to do regular things like wednesday gaming night, drinks on a thursday etc, if yoiu have kads and a partner it'll make it harder for her to find work to fit in to your schedule that doesnt encompase expensive child care. however I work on a 7 on 7 off 7 on 5 off 5 on 4 off pattern and I like it, I quite like work but the 7 days off are great, no need to use annual leave to go away on holiday, if you plan it well.

but working shifts is apparently bad for your health and is suppose to shorten your life by 10 years, according to a study.

bullit

Soldato
I work shifts i find it quite tiring. I do a mixture of 5 on 4 off and 4 on 5 off days and nights. I like the time off and it works out with my 30 days annual leave i only work 5 months of the year although they are 12 hour shifts..

Caporegime
I do 3 on 3 off (12 hour days) and I love it, so much extra usable free time compared to 8hrs 5 days a week.

It might be worth pointing out that I hate weekends because everywhere is too busy however...

Thats funny, I do 6 days on 1 day off (12.5 hours a day) alternating with 6.5 days on and 0.5 days off (13.5 hours a day).

Don't do a PhD folks:(

Soldato
I do 4 on, then 4 off (12hr shifts). 2 days followed by 2 nights.

Its good because your working week is soon over but 12hr night shifts do screw up your body clock. Been doing it for 4yrs now and dont want many more years of it.

Soldato
im a shift worker also but very random no theme to it. I do 12.5 hour days and have to fit 13 in a month. 6 must be nights, 4 must be weekends. but the night shift could be on a weekend and thus fulfilling both requirements. one general rule we try to follow is that is your on 3 nights you get 3 days off, if 2, you get 2 off and so on...just get used to eating at weird times of the day. your circadian rhythm screaming at you and all will be well. also im a firm believer that nights give you the worst wind ever!!! I love shift work though, days off in the week to do what i want with..

one sour note....shift workers die younger!

rotters

Soldato
what work do you do matthewhotdude? (feels wrong typing that out lol) how many employees? im a nurse and we have 170 staff in my department, but every hour has to be covered hence the randomness..

rotters

Soldato
I work for a window company it has to be open 24 hours a day seven days a week, so there are 2 day shifts doing 4 on 4 off, a week day night shift Mon-Thurs and the shift I am on Fri Sat Sun nights. Because we work permanant weekends we get paid more than any other shift even though we only do 3 days and less hours

Over all the shifts think it's about 180 staff

Soldato
Working shifts has definate benifits. I work 4 on, 5 off, 5 on, 4 off, 5 on, 5 off, then it swaps to nights for the same pattern. All 12 hour shifts.

The downsides are that you lose traditional weekends when most people are off but the up sides are that you get days off in the week when everyone else is at work. Meaning your shopping or DIY projects cause a lot less hassle becuase you are free to go when the shops are quiet.

I'd like a 9-5 job in some respects, but the benifits of shift work are noticable.

I also prefer doing more shifts in a row rather than doing 2 or 3 and then having a day or 2 off. Days isn't a problem obviously because you just adjust your pattern by a few hours, but when working nights its more complicated. In my current pattern, I stay in night mode for 4 or 5 days, then I finish my last shift at 7 in the morning, am in bed by 8 and then get up at around 12 or 1. I'm now set for my 4 or 5 days off in day mode to interact with the rest of the world. In addition, because I stay in the proper night pattern for longer I am far more awak at work on those shifts.

If you do just 2 nights on and then have 2 off, you have to comprimise something which is why I feel for my friends who are nurses on wards doing as others have mentioned. I get why they dont want nurses working more than x night shifts in a row but I think the benifits once people get used to it would outweigh the perpetual fear of people making mistakes. It appals me when they tell me that they are working 2 days, 1 off, 2 nights, 2 off then 2 days again.Chopping around like that CANNOT be good for the very people that the rules are trying to protect. Most people I know who do shift work tend to suffer on the first night, me included. It's difficult to either stay up the night before your shift or go back to bed during the day before your shift. Once the first one is done however you are into a normal cycle of getting up and going to work and going home to bed. Working longer runs of nights in a row means you only have to make that day/night adjustment every 4 or 5 days instead of every 2 ror 3. I've done both and it really makes a difference.

Another boost of course is taking holiday. I can take 4 day soff work and not have to go in for 13 days, if i make it 9 days off im not at work for like 23 which was very handy when i was decorating the house.

Last edited:
Soldato
I do 4 on, then 4 off (12hr shifts). 2 days followed by 2 nights.

Its good because your working week is soon over but 12hr night shifts do screw up your body clock. Been doing it for 4yrs now and dont want many more years of it.

I did shift work for 5 years and never got used to the nights. I don't ever want to do them again :(

Despite getting the odd few hours of kip due to an arrangement with shift partners, it still didn't help much.

Soldato
i don't mind shift work so long as it's permanent days (or nights). it's when it's alternating that it really ***** your body clock up. i won't ever do that again. it simply isn't worth it.

Back
Top Bottom