Decent gaming PC for 750-850 pounds

Associate
Hi guys (and girls ;))!

Greetings from Finland!

I'm thinking to buy a gaming PC as my netbook isn't good enough for gaming.

I'm prepared to invest around 750-850 pounds (less is more! :D) including tower, OS (preferably Windows 7 Pro 64bit), assembly and freight. I don't need monitor, mouse or keyboard.

The games which will be played include these:

- Total War -series (Empire Total War, Rome Total War etc)
- Sims 3
- Civ IV with mods (huge maps)
- Football Manager 2011
- Rollercoaster Tycoon 3
- possibly some driving games

As you can see, I don't play too much of games which need high-end graphics cards. Most of the games are memory-oriented. I just don't like if the PC will be aged in couple of years...

I don't need either a sound card (unless you can fit Xonar Essence for the budget! :rolleyes:) or optical drive.

The case doesn't have to be "bling" :cool:. I want it to be easily upgradeable and quiet.

What kind of system do you suggest? I accept overclocked systems but I probably won't overclock the computer in the future. How much will it cost that Overclockers will assemble the computer?

Thanks for your help.

Caporegime
Hi there.

OCuk will only send there own systems already built to customers, having a spec and hoping they will build it for you wont happen.

Shipping costs to finland i can imagine are huge, and not a viable option.

have you thought about looking a bit closer to home?

if you really wanted a OCuk pre-built pc and are willing to pay the shipping costs, then.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-237-OK&groupid=43&catid=1444&subcat=

with a GTX460 upgrade and a win7 home premium O/S is £754.56

Last edited:
Associate
OP
For 20 kg order the DHL Worldwide Express (EU) price is from 16 pounds. I can pay 25-30 pounds whatsoever.

Too bad that Overclockers won't assemble a machine as it's option in most places. I could pay anywhere between 20-40 pounds for assembly (here in Finland it costs about 20 euros and 59 euros with testing).

Hi there.

OCuk will only send there own systems already built to customers, having a spec and hoping they will build it for you wont happen.

Shipping costs to finland i can imagine are huge, and not a viable option.

have you thought about looking a bit closer to home?

if you really wanted a OCuk pre-built pc and are willing to pay the shipping costs, then.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-237-OK&groupid=43&catid=1444&subcat=

with a GTX460 upgrade and a win7 home premium O/S is £754.56

Soldato
My friend in Sweden got a pre-built from here which cost £25 to ship there and arrived in 2 days so it should be fine.

Also that system should be fine for you.

Associate
OP
Too bad if Overlockers can't assemble if someone is willing to pay for them.

I thought this kind of system:

Xigmatek Asgard Midi Tower Case - Black
BeQuiet Pure Power L7 530W Power Supply
Intel Core i3 530 2.93GHz (Clarkdale) (Socket LGA1156) - Retail
Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard
GeIL 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz VALUE PLUS Dual Channel (GVP34GB1600C9DC)
XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA-II 64MB Cache - OEM (WD10EARS)
Kingston SSDNow V-Series 30GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive (SNV125-S2/30GB)
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler (Socket 939 / AM2 / AM3 / 775 / 1155/ 1156 / 1366)
Akasa AK-VC03-BLUV Vortexx NEO VGA Cooler
Foam Silencing Kit for Xigmatek Asgard Cases
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional - Retail (Full Version)(FQC-00133)

Total is around 750 pounds with freight.

I have to think that warranty thing. Though my computer have never failed... I hope it this time too! :)

Caporegime
not a bad spec,

the Harddrive is a slow 5400rpm one, so change to a Seagate barracuda 7200.11 or 7200.12 or a Samsung F3 7200rpm.

The SSD is too small also, once win7 is installed and updated, one large game install will fill it.

seriously consider the "Titan Xenomorph" linked above, will be a faster pc.

Associate
OP
I think I will install only OS to the SSD.

This is another option: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-168-OE&groupid=43&catid=1892&subcat=

Costs only 625 pounds with Win 64 Pro! :eek:

Freight rates from Finland to UK are around 50 euros. If I have to send it back once, I think it's worth the risk.

Thanks for your replies!

not a bad spec,

the Harddrive is a slow 5400rpm one, so change to a Seagate barracuda 7200.11 or 7200.12 or a Samsung F3 7200rpm.

The SSD is too small also, once win7 is installed and updated, one large game install will fill it.

seriously consider the "Titan Xenomorph" linked above, will be a faster pc.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure Overclockers are willing to build any spec you ask for if you just phone them up and talk to them, they will charge you to do it (no idea how much) but they can do it with a spec you choose. I remember a guy a couple of weeks a go having a similar desire, and he just got in touch with Nathan, (Nathwraith) and he sorted it all out for him...

kd

Associate
OP
Thanks man for the advice! :)

I have to keep in touch with the guys. I still have to make some comparisons with our domestic shops, one shop in Germany and Overclockers.

For 800 euros I'll get Phenom II X4 840 system in Finland (with ATI 5770) including assembly, Core I5-2500K Sandybridge system from Germany including assembly and testing and at least same kind of system from Overclockers. Though I prefer Core I3 with SSD for same price.

Is it worth the risk to buy overseas? I don't know yet. If I feel it's 100% safe, I'll get it from Overclockers.

Edit: If I could get a service from Overclockers that they will test the system before dispatch, there is just one place where I'll get my PC! :) Fingers crossed... I mean there will be lots and lots of more customers overseas if they know that their system has been tested and it's ok. There is no risk whatsoever!

I'm pretty sure Overclockers are willing to build any spec you ask for if you just phone them up and talk to them, they will charge you to do it (no idea how much) but they can do it with a spec you choose. I remember a guy a couple of weeks a go having a similar desire, and he just got in touch with Nathan, (Nathwraith) and he sorted it all out for him...

kd

Last edited:
Associate
OP
This will be the system if Overclockers will do it... I just have to wait to the end of February (pay day!)!

Antec 300 Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black
AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 555 3.20GHz Black Edition (Socket AM3) - Retail (have to unlock the 4 cores... :))
MSI 870A-G54 AMD 870 (Socket AM3) DDR3 Motherboard
GeIL 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz VALUE PLUS Dual Channel
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 16MB Cache - OEM
Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler
Foam Silencing Kit for Antec 300 Cases
TP-Link 300Mbps Wireless-N USB Adapter
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit - OEM

I think this is more than enough for me and some years to come. If I have to improve it in the future, I just change the mobo and CPU (and cooler).

It costs around 700 pounds + shipping and assembly.

What do you think?

Associate
This will be the system if Overclockers will do it... I just have to wait to the end of February (pay day!)!

Antec 300 Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black
AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 555 3.20GHz Black Edition (Socket AM3) - Retail (have to unlock the 4 cores... :))
MSI 870A-G54 AMD 870 (Socket AM3) DDR3 Motherboard
GeIL 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz VALUE PLUS Dual Channel
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 16MB Cache - OEM
Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler
Foam Silencing Kit for Antec 300 Cases
TP-Link 300Mbps Wireless-N USB Adapter
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit - OEM

I think this is more than enough for me and some years to come. If I have to improve it in the future, I just change the mobo and CPU (and cooler).

It costs around 700 pounds + shipping and assembly.

What do you think?

Get the Caviar Black or the Samsung SpinPoint F3 as a 64GB SSD isn't really enough for all your high-performance programs once your OS and a few games are installed.

Associate
you build then, provide a complete warranty on it with the overclock, and also make a profit like any other company.

stop talking crap.

I do build my own systems its cheaper. I can get a AMD Athlon X4 and a Radeon 5770 build for just over £300

Back
Top Bottom