• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Phenom II 920/940 Review/Overclocking Thread **

Caporegime
looks like they are probably all black for 940's, a competitor definately has black. The 3.0ghz overclocks to around 3.9ghz a q6600 will overclock from 2.4ghz to around 3.6ghz so its safe to say the amd will be a lot worse than q6600 when you overclock them both.

So there's still almost no point in going AMD unless you have existing AM2 equipment.

Soldato
looks like they are probably all black for 940's, a competitor definately has black. The 3.0ghz overclocks to around 3.9ghz a q6600 will overclock from 2.4ghz to around 3.6ghz so its safe to say the amd will be a lot worse than q6600 when you overclock them both.

Huh? When overclocked correctly the Phenom is faster than the Q6600 clock-for-clock.

In fact NB overclocks on the Intel don't yield any gains, on the Phenom they keep gaining and gaining.

Soldato
Impressive chip it's a no brainer upgrade for current AM2 users. However people with C2D setup is much better off just getting a 45nm yorky.

Caporegime
Impressive chip it's a no brainer upgrade for current AM2 users. However people with C2D setup is much better off just getting a 45nm yorky.

remember though, 2nd value of all the current s775 stuff isn't too bad, in 6 months s775 value will fall through the floor as Intel don't release anything new and the quads on it don't get much cheaper, infact when the midrange i7 stuff comes out s775 will lose a LOT of value. So selling now will get you good value on your s775 kit, while AM2+, with chips that will work fine and still be cheaper than ddr3 for probably more than a year if not more, won't lose anywhere near the same amount of value. So switching now might give you a lot more value, resale value on your AM2+ setup until ddr3 prices drop. Infact the AM3 cpu's are 25% cooler, have higher northy speeds and will almost certainly clock higher being 25% lower power in the first place. You could be looking at 4.2/4.3Ghz on air with a am3 cpu in an AM2+ board for fairly cheap, decent HTT clocking, and the AM3 range brings a lot of lower end chips for cheap.

IE in 2/3 months you'll be able to get a £70 sb750 board, a £120 cpu that could hopefully do 4Ghz and on air, i'd simply be making sure you don't have a s775 platform still when i7's midrange come out ;)

Associate
remember though, 2nd value of all the current s775 stuff isn't too bad, in 6 months s775 value will fall through the floor as Intel don't release anything new and the quads on it don't get much cheaper, infact when the midrange i7 stuff comes out s775 will lose a LOT of value. So selling now will get you good value on your s775 kit, while AM2+, with chips that will work fine and still be cheaper than ddr3 for probably more than a year if not more, won't lose anywhere near the same amount of value. So switching now might give you a lot more value, resale value on your AM2+ setup until ddr3 prices drop. Infact the AM3 cpu's are 25% cooler, have higher northy speeds and will almost certainly clock higher being 25% lower power in the first place. You could be looking at 4.2/4.3Ghz on air with a am3 cpu in an AM2+ board for fairly cheap, decent HTT clocking, and the AM3 range brings a lot of lower end chips for cheap.

IE in 2/3 months you'll be able to get a £70 sb750 board, a £120 cpu that could hopefully do 4Ghz and on air, i'd simply be making sure you don't have a s775 platform still when i7's midrange come out ;)

Someone get this man a beer

Caporegime
Someone get this man a beer

if it wasn't for the UK sucking, the foxconn ever so slightly lower end sb750 board(the other one is one of those "named" ones with lots of stupid extra's but is slightly better) keeps going on sale for $100 in the states, so like £75 maybe, and its basically as good as any other. Its £180 in the uk though :(

but now theres a little more interest in the AM2+ we should hopefully get more updated sb750 boards and more lower/midrange versions. Also remember you can get ones with the intergrated gpu GX versions are often cheap and might overclock better, might not. The only issue really is people are unlikely to want to release lots of AM2+ boards and a new AM3 range so close, but you'd think Gigabyte would have something viable out in the £70 range soon enough, £40 of ddr2 and the lowest end AM3 quad out in a couple months maybe £140ish and you've got insanely good clocking, cheap, good performance quad system that will last an age.

Man of Honour

Are you drunk? Name and post imply it.

Associate
Hmm. I just don't see how anyone would want one of these when you can get a Q9550 OEM for the same price as the X4 920, let alone the X4 940.

For current AM2 motherboard owners, fair enough, but I'd be waiting until the AM3 stuff comes out and upgrading completely. For everyone else, you might as well stick with what you've got until the mainstream i7 stuff is released.

Last edited:
Soldato

That has to be the biggest load of drivel ever? :confused:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom