What is a Sky Dreambox?

Associate
I have Sky+ with one package, plus I've run a co-ax from the second output to the bedroom TV.

I've just seen a Dreambox 500 for sale offering all channels and having never heard of these before would appreciate some advice. I called the guy and he said all I need to do is cancel my subscription, plug in the dish & my internet connection and all channels are unlocked, ready to go.

This all seems too simple however a quick look around reveals these seem readily available in some guise or another. Surely not?!

If it IS that easy then I'd buy a PVR version to replace the Sky+.

Thanks in advance.

:confused:

Associate
I had a dreambox once.. its a sat decoder + PVR which is basically a small PC and can be configured to unlock everything for you. Apart from the obvious legalities involved, I didnt really get on with it as mine seemed a bit temperamental and difficult to setup due them having a high degree of customization.

However I have a few colleagues using them for years and they love it. I am sure you can use it as a legit STB/PVR aswell..

http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/en/products

Associate
The only reason you need a dreambox - is if you don't want to pay for Sky!

They are basically boxes that run Linux and allow various methods of distribution of the encryption or decryption of a digital satellite signal.

Associate
as fast as you get it working, they alter stuff so your's goes off, far too easy to knock off, had a box for years on Virgin, same idear, same problems, legal to use if your paying for stuff, not legal if your not paying and yes easy to get caught as well, no matter what others say, plenty of info on google about them.

not worth the hassle tbh, or cost when caught

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
How could you possibly ever get caught? :p

I actually have "normal" sky TV, but to suggest that sky decryption via internet distributed keys is unreliable, and carries risk, is totally wrong.

Soldato
Yeah it's not only Dreambox. There's literally a plethora of devices which can do card sharing.

My "local high street satellite shop" sells HD boxes for £50 and a whole years subscription including HD & 3D and all sport PPV for around £30. Funnily enough this shop is run by Somalians; pirating the seas and the Skies it seems :p

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Yup, a shop on a popular east London high street runs one of these boxes... Can be a bit clunky and the GUI looks naff.

I'll stick with my 50% off deal with sky, much slicker and, well, legal.

Soldato
Yup, a shop on a popular east London high street runs one of these boxes... Can be a bit clunky and the GUI looks naff.

I'll stick with my 50% off deal with sky, much slicker and, well, legal.

The difference in price is still astronomical.

Monthly sub £~80 * 12 = £960 + PPV £15 * ~6 = 90

That's over £1000 for the year. Compare that to £30-50. For a saving of £1000 per year, is it any wonder people are willing to break laws :p

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Well, when you put it like that, for those who don't have the cash... Maybe.

Still, full package for me works out more like £400/year. My housemate was offered a 75% discount too so may switch over to that. Let's also not forget the huge on demand library there is now.

I've played with a dm500s and sure, it's ok but the epg is naff. Most people have to put a tonne of effort in just to get a 7day guide which is reliable.

Soldato
Not so surprisingly, the shop has been shut down (or just closed) as far as I can tell. I was walking passed it the other day and it's just empty, nothing on display any more.

Just goes to show these services are completely unregulated and unreliable - unless you find something deep underground and not on the high street. Cant help you with regards to that I'm afraid.

My best advice is to go find an actual forum which specifically discusses this subject. A legitimate forum from a computer hardware retailer is not the place for this kind of discussion. :)

Back
Top Bottom