Would you buy a 'Category C' car?

Associate
Just need a bit of advice really. We're looking at a Peugeot 206 with 39,000 miles. Everything looks great about it, but the dealer's website lists it as a 'Category C'. The AutoTrader advert states 'THIS CAR HAS NO DAMAGE'

Should I just walk away from it, or is it worth a look? I'm just not sure whether buying an ex-writeoff is a total no-no or not?

Associate
I don't have a problem with Cat C or D cars. Although it would depend on the car I guess. As long as its been done properly, and can be proven, then its all good!

Entirely up to you though in the end.

Caporegime
unless this is some really rare special edition car that leaves you no other alternative but to buy a Cat C write off.

Walk away

Yes it has no damage, but it has been repaired, and was once in such a bad way that the insurers decided it was not economically viable to repair it. Verifying that it has been repaired to a professional standard to make it as good as new is a process you can do without, if there are other cars on the market without this issue.

Caporegime
My current car was a Cat C, just needed its bumper replacing, 3 years later and many many more miles, no issues at all.

the issue is not that every cat C is a death trap

the issue is the hassle of making sure that the Cat C you're buying is not some car that a cowboy did up to make some money.

Once you've made sure its not, you'll be fine.

But its the hassle of checking this that can be easily avoided with common cars. Why put yourself through it for what is already a cheap car (used 206)

Man of Honour
totally depends on price and what you want. My car is a Cat D. Mechanically sound, but the bumpers had a cheap spray and the paint is coming off, some of the plastic trim under the cars is broken and the wings,bonnet,bumper don't line up exactly. Do I care? not at all as I got the car for under 50% of what a normal version would go for.

Back
Top Bottom