How to obtain Windows 8.1 iso with Windows 8 OEM key.

Soldato
It looks like owners of Windows 8 OEM are screwed.

We cannot obtain the install media for a clean install.

We have to always install Windows 8, go through the updates...then download Windows 8.1 from the App Store.

I've looked to use the generic key 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT to get the download by running the WindowsSetupBox.exe but just says it cannot connect.

Anyone with an idea?

Soldato
I want an ISO for the upgrade too! I have three machines at my Mums house on a 10gig/month bandwidth! and another machine at mine!

Dloading 3.5gigs of identical data four times over is insane! :mad:

It would also be nice to have everything available to do a clean install from time to time. Will the 8.1 upgrade be available from the app store indefinitely or might it be discontinued at some point making an 8.1 clean install impossible even though I am entitled? :confused:

Associate
People generally regard a fresh install better than an upgrade, not that I have had problems with an upgrade disk in the past but a fresh install to me is the better route.

Soldato
what's wrong with running the 8.1 update from the Store?

Because running it 4 times over to upgrade 4 machines is dumb! Especially if three of them are in a house with a 10Gig cap!

The alternative is for me to bring them all back to my place and do the job here which is a complete PITA and should not really be necessary!

Running from the store is fine for those for which it is fine. But as ever all I want is the choice and I can see no real reason why I should not be given it!

Soldato
Because running it 4 times over to upgrade 4 machines is dumb! Especially if three of them are in a house with a 10Gig cap!

The alternative is for me to bring them all back to my place and do the job here which is a complete PITA and should not really be necessary!

Running from the store is fine for those for which it is fine. But as ever all I want is the choice and I can see no real reason why I should not be given it!

I wonder if it would be possible to download it to one machine , stop it actually installing the upgrade.
And then find / copy out the upgrade file(s) to another machine and ask it to upgrade ?

Soldato
OP
This is very frustrating.
What should be a 10min job via usb drive is going to be well over 1.5hrs now for a fresh install.

Good job Microsoft. Good job.

Soldato
So you used 8 oem key to download iso?

But after install it won't activate?

Not sure if it's OEM or retail. It's a key MS sent me when I upgraded to Win 8 when they ran the introductory offer. But yeah, it lets me download the iso but not install it. Which is a little bonkers.

I had to use this placeholder key to install...

XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WK

Soldato
OP
Not sure if it's OEM or retail. It's a key MS sent me when I upgraded to Win 8 when they ran the introductory offer. But yeah, it lets me download the iso but not install it. Which is a little bonkers.

I had to use this placeholder key to install...

XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WK

Think that would be a retail key from MS then.

Feel free to inbox me to let me download it ;)

Soldato
I really dont know why people are moaning at this one. I did my 2 Windows 8 RT tablets and 2 Laptops in 2 hours. That was bang on launch day where the world and his wife have been downloading it.

Everytime I tried my iOS devices it would take all night to download. While its annoying this is the way every ones going.

Back
Top Bottom