• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

XFX Warranty

Soldato
Been sorting out an RMA with XFX over the past week. It started well with the online ticket being almost instantly answered with some sound advice. Brilliant, I thought, however when I pressed them to send me RMA instructions things started getting surreal...

[ 5/8/2009 3:57:21 PM] Hi. My 8800GTX has stopped working. When I power up the machine it simply does nothing - no lights, no fan, no sign of life at all. I have tried it in a couple of different motherboards with no luck. My current GFX card (nVidia 280 gtx) works fine. Could I please have RMA instructions so I can send it to you for testing? Thanks Shane

[SHAUN_T 5/8/2009 4:46:16 PM] Hi Shane, thanks for your message. Did you make any hardware or software changes, move the PC or notice any unusual messages on start-up when the problems began? Please ensure the power cables are correctly connected to the card and is getting full power. Kind regards, Shaun.

[ 5/8/2009 8:31:40 PM] No warning at all unfortunately. I switched it off, working fine, then went to power on the next day and it was dead :(. I have subsequently tried it on a couple of other motherboards with no luck.
[ 5/11/2009 12:29:22 PM] Can I have RMA instructions please? His final response really is a work of art... Failure to read my initial post, Check... Failure to get all the facts, Check... Failure to be of any use to the customer, that's a big check! :(

[SHAUN_T 5/12/2009 12:48:45 PM] Hi Shane, thanks for your message. Unfortunately, your graphics card is out of warranty so we are unable to take the card back for RMA. Have you tried a different card in your system to see if it boots up without any issues? Kind regards, Shaun.

[ 5/13/2009 8:55:31 PM] Wow - I won`t ask how it is you think you know when I purchased this card, but given that the date on the invoice is 7 April 2008, and this issue occurred at the end of March 2009, that would mean that you are suggesting that this card has less than a one year warranty - rather than discussing the finer points of the Sale of Goods Act (as amended) (and the definitions of `fit for purpose` and of `suitable quality`) could I suggest that you send me RMA instructions so we can sort this out in an amicable manner?

I always find condescension and sarcasm the most satisfying response to stupidity - even if it isn't particularly constructive;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
My initial reaction to reading that is it sounds like you are talking to a mate on MSN, you should have wrote something much more formal explaining all the details... when you bought it, when it died, why you couldn't contact them for 6wks, what you have done to confirm it is faulty etc. It should have all been included in your original message.

As for your last message, satisfying maybe but it's not the way to go about getting a favourable response. ;)

Unless you can prove that it died late March within the warranty period which I doubt you can, your best bet now is to be polite and explain that you are upset that their product costing you £xx has lasted less than a year and even more so that they are unwilling to accept it for RMA, unless you are willing to take legal action which I doubt it would be worth it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It does come with a 2 year warranty - which makes his comment all the more perplexing - hence the rather terse response from myself and the reason I wasn't worried about the delay in claiming. I didn't bother going into detail as I didn't think it was required - my card is broken - it's under warranty - I would like to send it to you for testing - please give me an RMA number - It's not rocket science really...

Associate
lol, i've delt with that chap TWICE before and "useless" would be a compliment.

Everything i posted he just suggested i do it again or he didn't read what i'd written at all and posted something completely irrelavent. I know they must get the odd person who's not turned his monitor on at the plug, or made a really simple honest mistake, but most of their customers are reasonably knowledgable, competant and dont wish to be treated like a child.

The first time i was simply after a bios ISO file as they'd only published the .bin. His first response was to tell me there was a bios update and had i tried that....:confused: After politely replying that this was what i was trying to do (as per my OP) i just wanted an iso, he just told me to do it in windows. Which after several more posts along the lines of 'i would rather not as it often fails and destroyes the board' with his repsonse being that he'd never heard of such a thing and to flash the bios from windows.
I eventually gave in and used the .bin and bricked the board as i had said would happen. His reply was 'have you tried the bios update yet?' :mad: i ended up badgering the retailer until they kindly sorted out an RMA/refund.

The second time i sent a simple question about how their transferable warranty worked, and what was required to change ownership. His response was "All XFX products have a two year warranty" and he closed the thread:rolleyes:

They do have some helpful support staff to though ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
nice to know I'm not the only one - funny old thing there is still no response - I'm sure the comedy will continue - how hard is it to simply give me an RMA number?

Soldato
Do OcUK handle all XFX RMA's now? I would prefer that as I am looking into getting a bargain XFX 4870X2.

Thats what I gathered. I recently bought an XFX GTX 260 216 under the impression I wouldnt have to deal with XFX less than flattering reputation with respect to RMA.

If you read the small print, it states that OcUK will honour XFX's 2 year warranty direct under their own RMA procedures.

Spot on guys, we dropped XFX a few years back due to the appauling service they gave the end user when RMA time came around.

To their credit they have improved, even when listed above but we are not ones to tempt fate.

We are in a position where we can pressure them for RMAs for any of our customers or deal with the return ourselves. We have it in place where 9/10 we can send a brand new replacement card out within a couple of days of the card being tested. :cool:

If you still have the card and it was purchased from OcUK just open up a support ticket and we will be more than happy to sort a return out for you. :)

Soldato
Yep, I remember actually laughing out loud when Spie revealed that XFX were threatening legal action because OcUK simply....

...told the truth! :p

Personally i'll always stick with Sapphire where possible, had their cards for a few years now and no problems.

Associate
Spot on guys, we dropped XFX a few years back due to the appauling service they gave the end user when RMA time came around.

To their credit they have improved, even when listed above but we are not ones to tempt fate.

We are in a position where we can pressure them for RMAs for any of our customers or deal with the return ourselves. We have it in place where 9/10 we can send a brand new replacement card out within a couple of days of the card being tested. :cool:

If you still have the card and it was purchased from OcUK just open up a support ticket and we will be more than happy to sort a return out for you. :)

Could I ask, considering I just bought this XFX 260 on tuesday, do I need to register on XFX for this warranty still?

Cheers

Martyn

Soldato
Would always recommend registering all warranties.

Double backup then and you will have followed all procedure so there is no reason not to get any problems fixed in the future. :)

I have my graphics card registered with the manufacturer and I work at OcUK, it is just good practice to do so. OcUK will always fight our customers corner if a manufacturer is dragging their feet with a return; if however they require registration in their terms it can take a lot from our argument!

You should be able to register your product at the following link: http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/Help/Support.aspx

If the link does not cover your product just follow the instructions with the card. :)

Soldato
H'mm how come you still deal with Asus then? Too popular to drop even though their RMA service is 110% terrible. :)

Asus has always been the hard one unfortunately. They're No. 1 on Motherboards in the world by quite some distance and for any company to drop Asus would be pretty damaging to motherboard sales.

They've just got so big though that they've forgotten about customers.

Back
Top Bottom