DVB-T2 PC TV Tuners?

Associate
Your card will be DVB-T HD compatible not DVB-T2. I imagine that our current cards will ignore the T2 signals in the same fashion as they do with analogue signals.

Sucks especially since my local transmitter started HD broadcasting about a week ago :(

That said however when the ITC were running Freeview HD trials in 2006, you could recieve that if you were in the Crystal Palace area with a standard DVB-T tuner card and play in VLC as it supports H264. I didn't ever try this myself but I did get some saved streams online. Hopefully it will work with standard cards (yn)

Channel 4 Test Transmission pic.

Soldato
The manufacturers are all dragging their heels on this big-style. I read that Hauppauge are planning on having something much later in the year and I doubt anyone else will be much sooner.

I already have Freesat through my PC and HTPC so all Freeview HD gives me on top is CH4 HD really but it'd still be nice to have.

Soldato
cheers, as said dont really "need" one till september. I would get freesat but don't know what sort of tv set up my halls have, eg if it's an arial or dish.
I know at home we don't have a dish, so it wouldn't work there.

Associate
HD on normal dvb-t cards is possible and occurs in other countries but after various trials the new UK system is going to be dvb-t2 aka 2nd generation dvb-t.

DVB-T and DVB-t2 use the same basic modulaton scheme but have completely different error correction methods, theres also a lot more flexibility in T2 for the options the 2 methods have in common.

see

http://www.dvb.org/technology/fact_sheets/DVB-T2_Factsheet.pdf

If dvb-t does any of the stuff needed by dvb-t2 in hardware rather than software its never going to work and this is the message coming out of all the chipset makers.

Long live freesat HD for the world cup!

Soldato
Still no sign of these? Slightly disappointing, but I can see that there's a bigger market in set top boxes. Unfortunately I can't get a dish here in the flats, so no HD on my HTPC. :(

Soldato
I think the shortage is because of the world cup, and they probably are making a killing, just all the required components are going into set top boxes (let's face it, most of the market are these) and not PC gear. Shame, as I'd love to watch the world cup in HD, but I see no point in buying a set top box and then buy a PCI-E card later on.

Associate
I'm sure the PC TV card manufacturers would love to get a product out, but...

At present there's only one Demod chip for DVB-T2 which is the Sony CXD2820R. Sony can't be acquitted of a little profiteering on this fact either; this chip is very scarce and priced very high, possibly at a 2000% premium over its ultimate volume cost depending on what kind of deal you can negotiate with them. They don't have any "exclusive" deals with manufacturers, it's just hard to get and damn expensive.

The chip is an I2C controlled/Serial TS out style device which is primarily designed for set top boxes/TVs (Although it could be integrated into expensive PCI solutions) USB sticks would be more difficult.

Samsung will have something available in a few months (Again a set top box style demod). Trident/NXP will have the TDA10055 available by mid next year (also a set top box demod). I have no idea what the makers of cheap USB chips are up to (if anything at all).

This still may not help the Mythtv user though as I'd imagine that getting drivers into the Linux kernel for any of these is going to be somewhat of a sticky wicket due to NDA agreements etc. There is some mention about "Linux" drivers floating around the internet for the Sony chip but I'm skeptical about this as even from within the industry; the chip is shrouded in secrecy. Maybe we'll get binaries if we're lucky.

I predict we will see cards with Windows only drivers by the end of the year, and Linux drivers for them by the end of next year.

Last edited:
Associate
This still may not help the Mythtv user though as I'd imagine that getting drivers into the Linux kernel for any of these is going to be somewhat of a sticky wicket due to NDA agreements etc. There is some mention about "Linux" drivers floating around the internet for the Sony chip but I'm skeptical about this as even from within the industry; the chip is shrouded in secrecy. Maybe we'll get binaries if we're lucky.
Don't a lot of set-top boxes run Linux these days? I think that an illegally obtained binary could appear quite quickly.

Associate
Most do, but in almost all systems, all drivers live in a large userspace libraries and the manufacturers are under no obligation to release source code for any of them. Those drivers wouldn't be any use to PC hardware anyway. We'll have the wait until one of the big makers (i.e. Hauppauge) gets permission to write a PC oriented driver for Linux.

Associate
Hello all. I'm totally new to this forum thing. this is my first ever input on one.
I found it really interesting reading about the frustration you have all encountered in acquiring a USB DVB-T2 device. I too as an internet retailer have had the same frustrations trying to get China to produce something prior to the World Cup. Well they've missed it!
I wanted you to know however that I do now have in my possesion an engineer's sample of Geniatech's (they use the Mygica brand name) T2 derivative. When it is tested and I have fedback my findings to them, they tell me that they will have a full shipment to me within about 5 weeks of that.
I have no idea of price structure, though I would hazard a guess at around the £50 mark.
I have been selling USB TVSticks, DVB-S2 boxes and video capture cards for 3years now and I see this new T2 stick as the most eagerly awaited item for a long time.
I'm not fully aware of the rules regarding retailers like myself using forums for surropticiously advertising my business, so I will not mention my website address on here.... Maybe someone can advise me if it's within the rules?

Paul.

Associate
Mention who/what you are and you will be banned, fair enough really as you would be using a competitors site to advertise yourself

Back
Top Bottom