How fast can you run 2.4km (1.5 miles)?

Soldato
That's pretty quick for your age. Not as fast as the 7:26 someone I know did at about the same age but then he used to be a pro runner and one of only a handful of Scots that have done an official sub 4 min mile....

For people that have not done the 1.5 mile but have done other distances, you can use this calculator which does a real good job of estimating different times for diff distances. All you need is an actual time for an actual distance - http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

I put in various actual times for various distances I have done and its pretty spot on for the others so works well...

Put in a few of my recent PB's which suggest I should be a lot quicker over the 1-2mile distances - I'd better pull my fiinger out :p

Soldato
On a treadmill I was able to manage 8 and a half minutes..once upon a time, around 7years ago when I was training for the Military! When I had a penultimate fitness test, the treadmill was restricted speed-wise for me and I didn't even break a sweat when I did the same run in just over 9 minutes. When I was training they were only interested in a recruit being able to do 2.4km in 10 minutes.

I normally cycle for 35-45 minutes instead now. I'll have to try it out again though..in fact, I'll try again on Tuesday, see how much worse I am now, and report back!

Kind regards,

David

Associate
just come back from a 2 x 2 mile run and did 10 mins for 1.5 mile and 13 mins for 2 mile.
last 2 mile was 13.09 so not too shabby thankfully.

(thats what i say to people when i was sweating my balls out and couldnt do 4 miles in one go after running up the mile long hill lol)

Permabanned
I want to join a gym lol so I can use a treadmill. Would be a lot better way to measure progress. Not to mention listening to music. (I don't like running around the streets with headphones, as I'm too wary to being knocked down!)

Soldato
I did this today at the gym in just under 15 mins but to be honest I wasn't trying for a time just a 15 minute jog. I'm not even going to pretend distance running was a strong point of mine, I was always a sprinter.

Associate
I want to join a gym lol so I can use a treadmill. Would be a lot better way to measure progress. Not to mention listening to music. (I don't like running around the streets with headphones, as I'm too wary to being knocked down!)

The streets are harder work than a treadmill, the undulations in the pavement make your legs work more.Yeh true I only run with 1 earphone in so I can hear mostly. If you've got a blackberry/iphone with gps, you can download adidas micoach for free which is great for running with, better than nike + in my opinion :)

Soldato
flat out I'm about 4'30 kms so about 8 mins 48 for me - thats my sort of flat out short-ish distance sustainable outside

on longer 10k + speed drops to 4'45-4'55 or so

Last edited:
Man of Honour
flat out I'm about 4'30 kms so about 8 mins 48 for me - thats my sort of flat out short-ish distance sustainable outside

on longer 10k + speed drops to 4'45-4'55 or so

Even if you managed to run at your 1km flat out pace it would take you nearly 11 minutes. I'm not sure where you got your figure from.

Soldato
I really struggle even flat out to get much below 4'00 times - I've tried shorter faster strides, longer strides etc - just struggle to get any faster

yet can run 16k at 4'50 speed

I blame it on my short legs (5'4)

Zip

Zip

Soldato
OP
Alright ive got 2 times that someone could use to let me know roughly how fast my 2.4km should be.

1.63km - 5:51min

2.83km - 13.51min (This felt real slow!)

Any help would be great :)

Soldato
Probably looking at 8:40 roughly....

On another note - I recently ran on a treadmill. I actually never run on treadmills as I prefer running outside but I needed to try out new running shoes to see if they worked well and the shop said I could take them back provided I didn't run outside with them.

Anyway, my point is I knew treadmill running is easier than outside but I cannot believe how much easier it is. I ran 5K with a incline of level 2 and here is the differences in times:

Outside:
---------
1 Mile - 6:40
1.5 Mile - 10:30
5K - 22:58

Treadmill:
----------
1 Mile - 5:37
1.5 Mile - 8:30
5K - 18:51

I probably could have done it quicker given that the treadmill speed was only 9MPH for the first mile or so then I ramped it up to 12.5MPH for the rest of the run.

Amazing that running outside with the hills and the elements has such an effect.

Back
Top Bottom