Why does it have to install DirectX when starting almost every steam game ??

Soldato
Why does almost every steam game have to install directx & Visual C++....

:mad: I must have installed directx & Visual C++ about 20 times so far today from just launching different steam games :mad:

Last edited:

AJK

AJK

Associate
But why can't directx & Visual C++....see that it's already been installed before installing again & again & again & again etc etc etc

It should. The first time it tries to install, it will actually be installed. On subsequent attempts, the installer should detect that no install is necessary, and just "finish" really quickly.

At least in my experience anyway.

Note that there are different versions of both DirectX and Visual C++ runtime, so different games may install different versions of these (more often seen with C++ rather than DirectX).

Associate
Why does almost every steam game have to install directx & Visual C++....

:mad: I must have installed directx & Visual C++ about 20 times so far today from just launching different steam games :mad:

only ever installs it once for me then after that spends 5 minutes every game install deciding that i have it installed and it doesnt need to bother

Associate
Yeah, it's really annoying when Steam feels the need to install DirectX and other tools when running most games for the first time. This issue is most noticeable when you reinstall Windows from format but have your Steam folder on a separate drive. Steam should download the most recent version of DirectX and other tools and install them once and keep track of it - each time a new version comes out and is required it can again be installed. The current system is simply needlessly redundant, even though it's still infinitely quicker than installing games from disk.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, it's really annoying when Steam feels the need to install DirectX and other tools when running most games for the first time. This issue is most noticeable when you reinstall Windows from format but have your Steam folder on a separate drive. .
Even more annoying is now i have to type in CD-keys for games for windows live that are on my steam list (batman:AA & Dirt 2)...:(

Just shows how lazy buying/owning games on steam has made me :D

I thought i left all this typing in CD-Keys rubbish behind went i stopped buying the old fashion retail DVD-roms

Last edited:

uv

uv

Soldato
It's only for the first launch of each game.. and in all fairness, it's not a Steam issue - it's a Microsoft issue. DXsetup should run a check in the background before running the installer.

Soldato
OP
launching batman was really fun

Click launch batman game
It installs GFWL
GFWL asks me enter my Batman CD-key
GFWL Asks enter my user name & password
GFWL downloads my Batman profile

After it Pops up saying there an GFWL update you have to install
Ok install update
Again Asks to enter user name & password
I enter user name & password
GFWL again downloads my Batman profile

Then Again after the updateit Pops up with saying there another GFWL update you have to install
Ok install update
Again says enter user name & password
again GFWL downloads my Batman profile

So After having to enter my GFWL user name & password 3 times
and download my batman profile 3 times i can at last get into the game :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
This isn't really a fault of Steam, as the same thing happens with retail games. Most don't let you opt out of 'updating' DirectX during the install process.

Back
Top Bottom