Kwikfit MOT's - ok or avoid?

Guv

Guv

Soldato
Kwik fit have an offer on MOT's - £35 when booked online.

Any reasons why I shouldn't take my car to them?
It's the most convenient place for me to get an MOT done and cheaper than most.
Car is a 2001 BMW 330ci.

Permabanned
Whilst an MOT is an MOT, you want to have it done at the same place you'll use to do any required work on the vehicle. Otherwise you'll have to pay for a re-test.

I wouldn't let Kwik Fit anywhere near my car, they're not very well trained and they're usually unprofessional and inexperienced.

Last edited:
Soldato
I agree that Kwik Fit wouldn't be the first choice, but what exactly is going to go wrong?

They're just going to be checking stuff not rebuilding the engine or fixing stuff.

MOT is a very basic test. Windscreen wipers work, steering wheel turns, wheels turn, indicators work, horn works, brakes legal, tyres legal etc.

If your car's in reasonable nick, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Soldato
Doesn't look that complicated!

What the MOT test includes

The body and vehicle structure

Is free from excessive corrosion or damage in specific areas and there are no sharp edges likely to cause injury.

The fuel System

Has no leaks and the fuel cap fastens and seals securely. The fuel cap will need to be opened so be sure the key is available.

The exhaust emissions

The vehicle meets the requirements for exhaust emissions, dependant on the age and fuel type of the vehicle.

The exhaust system

Is secure, complete, without serious leaks and silences effectively.

The seat belts

All belts installed are checked for type, condition, operation and security. All compulsory seat belts must be in place.

The seats

The front seats are secure. Front and rear backseats can be secured in the upright position.

Components to be inspected

The doors

Latch securely in closed position. Front doors should open from inside and outside the vehicle. Rear doors may need to be opened to gain access to testable items.

The mirrors

The minimum numbers are on the vehicle, their condition and security.

Load security

Boot or tailgate can be secured in the closed position.

The brakes

Their condition, operation and performance (efficiency test). Note the removal of the road wheels is not part of the test.

The tyres and wheels

Their condition, security, size, type and tread depth. Spare tyres are not inspected.

The registration plates

Their condition, security, characters correctly formed and spaced.

The lights

Their condition, operation and security. Headlamps for aim.

The bonnet

Securely latches in the closed position.

The wipers and washers

Operate to give the driver a clear view ahead.

The windscreen

Its condition and the driver’s view of the road.

The horn

Operates correctly and is of a suitable type.

The steering and suspension

Are of a satisfactory condition and operation.

The vehicle identification number (VIN)

Is on vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1980. Not more than one different VIN is displayed except on multistage build vehicles.

Man of Honour
With my Golf I just get it done at the local VAG dealer. It's the same price as anywhere else (although not quite as cheap as that Quick Fit offer obviously) and they not only collect it and return it for me, they also wash it... all for no extra cost. Do BMW do a similar service?

Soldato
As Lopez alludes to, the problem comes when you get a tester who is less than 100% honest, and can choose to fail your car and suggest remedial work which is un-necessary - for example telling you your brake pads and discs need replacing, when theres actually nothing wrong with them.

Such tactics are far from unusual - for a garage such tactics can generate a useful amount of extra work (hence income) from the typical motorist who sadly doesn't know any better than whatever his mechanic will tell him. Failing a car deliberately on what would, at an honest garage, be an advisory notice at best, and telling the owner its dangerous and illegal to drive unless he gets his wallet out is sadly not unusual...

You would hope that a big company such as Kwit Fit would be above this, but alas like any franchise its only as good/bad as the staff at any particular branch.

Soldato
As Lopez alludes to, the problem comes when you get a tester who is less than 100% honest, and can choose to fail your car and suggest remedial work which is un-necessary - for example telling you your brake pads and discs need replacing, when theres actually nothing wrong with them.

Such tactics are far from unusual - for a garage such tactics can generate a useful amount of extra work (hence income) from the typical motorist who sadly doesn't know any better than whatever his mechanic will tell him. Failing a car deliberately on what would, at an honest garage, be an advisory notice at best, and telling the owner its dangerous and illegal to drive unless he gets his wallet out is sadly not unusual...

You would hope that a big company such as Kwit Fit would be above this, but alas like any franchise its only as good/bad as the staff at any particular branch.

+1; in summary get a garage you can trust to do the work.

Soldato
Whilst an MOT is an MOT, you want to have it done at the same place you'll use to do any required work on the vehicle. Otherwise you'll have to pay for a re-test.

No I don't, I want to have my car fixed in front of my house by myself or F&F, I don't do an MOT there.

Most things it would fail MOT on would be an absolute waste of money to bring it to a garage/dealer/3rd party.

You want to go to a garage for changing your bulbs, brake pads, wipers, etcetc :confused: ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Take it to a council MOT test centre. They don't have garages and are therefore unlikely fail your car unless it really has a failure.

Back
Top Bottom