Azhar Ahmed

Soldato
"Teenager charged over comment on Afghanistan troops"

A teenager will appear in court after allegedly making comments on Facebook about the deaths of six soldiers in Afghanistan last week, police said.
Azhar Ahmed, 19, according to West Yorkshire Police, posted the comments on his profile page and has been charged with a racially aggravated public order offence, according to West Yorkshire Police.
A police spokesman said Ahmed, of Fir Avenue, Ravensthorpe, West Yorkshire, was bemoaning the level of attention the British soldiers who died in a bomb blast last week received compared to Afghan civilians who have died in the war.
The spokesman said: "He didn't make his point very well and that is why he has landed himself in bother."
Ahmed will appear at Dewsbury Magistrates' court on March 20.
He was arrested on Friday and charged over the weekend. He has been bailed to an address outside the county.
Last week, six men were killed in the deadliest single attack on British forces in Afghanistan since 2001.
The soldiers who died - five of them aged between 19 and 21 - died when their Warrior armoured vehicle was blown up by a massive improvised explosive device (IED).
Sergeant Nigel Coupe, 33, of 1st Battalion The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment was killed alongside Corporal Jake Hartley, 20, Private Anthony Frampton, 20, Private Christopher Kershaw, 19, Private Daniel Wade, 20, and Private Daniel Wilford, 21, all of 3rd Battalion the Yorkshire Regiment.
The tragedy was the biggest single loss of life for British forces in Afghanistan since an RAF Nimrod crash killed 14 people in September 2006.
It took the number of UK troops who have died since the Afghanistan campaign began in 2001 to 404.

Does anybody know what this guy specifically said? :confused:

Man of Honour
Without knowing what he said or his background, at face value it seems a bit silly to try to engage criminal proceedings against what is essentially a pretty meaningless facebook post...

I'd be interested to know what he said too.

Caporegime
If you search his name it's the 5th link down (DuckDuckGo), would post here but probably not family friendly*

Yes he is a moron and what he said is insulting but I have seen far worse said on social media.

6dy7o3.png

EDIT - Mods, on closer inspection and removal of one word, I assume it's safe to post?

Last edited:
Permabanned
Well it must have been pretty bad for the police to get involved. I've seen Pakistani people I have from school post some stupid stuff on Facebook and nothing happened to them.

Edit, just seen the above, I hope the people who liked the post have been questioned as well. The only problem is this kind of stuff just fuels the likes of the EDL and BNP.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Are they going to arrest the 8 people who liked it aswell? I think he has a good point despite clearly being abit stupid.

Soldato
If you search his name it's the 5th link down (DuckDuckGo), would post here but probably not family friendly*

Yes he is a moron and what he said is insulting but I have seen far worse said on social media.

6dy7o3.png

EDIT - Mods, on closer inspection and removal of one word, I assume it's safe to post?

That's it? For goodness sake. The World needs to get a grip. I wonder how many police hours are wasted dealing with non crimes like this. That isn't inciteful, that's a harmless post on a social media website. Between the policing of social networks, and dealing with phone hacking it's a wonder anyone actually gets arrested.

He has valid point. The portrayal of soldier deaths is given much more media attention and apparent care than that of the innocent lives lost by our soldiers (inb4 armed police swoop on the library I'm in).

Though to quote Stalin, one death is a tragedy whereas a million is a statistic..

Last edited:
Soldato
Are they going to arrest the 8 people who liked it aswell? I think he has a good point despite clearly being abit stupid.

He doesn't really because this guy went off on one and wasn't under specific orders to kill and maim civilians.

I wasn't aware that our soldiers were going around Afghanistan raping female civilians either? :confused: It's probably happened but I don't think it's "routine" or as widespread as he's implying.

Man of Honour

I think so.

Really, criminal proceedings for that? What a waste of time. I'd rather we spent resources on actual misery causing criminals, let alone considering how this might affect the poor guys life.

Permabanned
That isn't inciteful? He is telling people to go and cry at graves and they are going to hell. It clearly worked someone up as it must have been reported.

Man of Honour
What a moron. He deserves everything he gets.

The 8 people who liked it should have the book thrown at them as well. ;)

Soldato
I for one am seriously unhappy that my tax money is being spent on this. The guy is clearly angry and about what's happening to (what is, I presume,) his country of origin, and perhaps isn't making his point properly, but I hardly feel this is a police matter.

Our police force is there to uphold the law and protect anyone who is in the UK at a given moment in time.

If he was being racist or threatening then perhaps yes, the police should get involved. As far as I can see he's voicing an opinion which is not a popular one, but surely this is something we must, as a country which allegedly promotes freedom of speech, accept as his opinion and nothing more.

I don't see any threat being posed in his post - just the angry ramblings of a young man.

Man of Honour

He deserves a criminal punishment for saying something that people might not like? It's not even as if he went out of his way to direct his message at a particular audience *shrug*

Seems totally disproportionate to me.

Soldato
He deserves a criminal punishment for saying something that people might not like? It's not even as if he went out of his way to direct his message at a particular audience *shrug*

This

Not this. Get a grip.

Man of Honour

No, I do agree that it's a bit silly. I'd mostly echo what shoes has said above.

However, calling all our soldiers 'lowlife scum' and saying their loved ones should go and cry on the grave of those they have lost is utterly nasty and I'm not going to pity this idiot.

Obviously it may not have been intended for mainstream viewing (as the 8 likes would suggest), but that doesn't change my mind.

Not this. Get a grip.

See my above reply.

Man of Honour
That's it? For goodness sake. The World needs to get a grip. I wonder how many police hours are wasted dealing with non crimes like this. That isn't inciteful, that's a harmless post on a social media website. Between the policing of social networks, and dealing with phone hacking it's a wonder anyone actually gets arrested.

He has valid point. The portrayal of soldier deaths is given much more media attention and apparent care than that of the innocent lives lost by our soldiers (inb4 armed police swoop on the library I'm in).

Though to quote Stalin, one death is a tragedy whereas a million is a statistic..

Let's put some perspective on this. There was an outpouring of affection and emotion in his locale, because that's where the soldiers were originally from. At least two of them lived in Mr Ahmed's home town.

The Police were called in to protect him from the public after he'd posted what he did. They had to be seen to be doing something, else he would have just been targeted on release. It may well still happen.

Soldato
I don't want the police getting involved the second somebody makes an angry post.

Amazing how these right wing people want to chuck the book at him, thought police anyone?, nanny state?, government locking people up for being angry..? - pathetic.

Man of Honour
Let's put some perspective on this. There was an outpouring of affection and emotion in his locale, because that's where the soldiers were originally from. At least two of them lived in Mr Ahmed's home town.

The Police were called in to protect him from the public after he'd posted what he did. They had to be seen to be doing something, else he would have just been targeted on release. It may well still happen.

Interesting perspective, but I don't think it's a very sensible way to go about protecting someone and even so, only the most unreasonable of unreasonable people would want to do more to him that bop him on the nose for his silly comment.

Back
Top Bottom