2kg Roast Beef

Soldato
Is 'slow cook' synonymous with using a slow cooker then?

idk :p

Mrs Seabiscuit you technically started it by suggesting that someone trying to help was talking brown stuff. But, let's be fair randomshenans did not take it too well did he?

Total over reaction in my humble opinion.

Edit: I have zero experience with sloooooow cooking.

Soldato
I touch them.

Just so you know.

^_^

Edit: Not slow cookers. But I will admit that I am tempted. I like the sound of the 60c slow cooking that FrenchTart suggests, but for how long? How long is 'loads of time'?

Which reminds me. I always fancied slow cooking in fire-less haybox.

Last edited:
Soldato
My 2p:

slow cooking = cooking something slowly at a lower temperature.

In a slow cooker, it is basically going to be braised, if you can set it to 60C that would work, but i think you would be looking at more like 20hrs really, that's what I would expect if I was slow cooking in an oven.

To be honest, I wouldn't braise a joint like that though, it could end up being a bit of an odd texture/appearance

Soldato
OP
I touch them.

Just so you know.

^_^

Edit: Not slow cookers. But I will admit that I am tempted. I like the sound of the 60c slow cooking that FrenchTart suggests, but for how long? How long is 'loads of time'?

They are ace ours cost us 15 quid and we use it loads especially in the winter.

Man of Honour
So glad I missed most of this.

It's very easy to get terminology mixed up. I had no idea you meant you were going to use a slow cooker either. To me slow cooking means exactly that - cooking slowly. I can see how it would be easy to assume that slow cooking meant using a slow cooker to cook though.

Man of Honour
I touch them.

Just so you know.

^_^

To be honest I think the best way to ensure that you've cooked it to your liking is to use a meat thermometer that you can leave in the meat whilst you cook. I *think* for about 1.5kg last time I did it we were looking at about 5 or 6 hours.

edit: It's worth taking the meat out once the internal temperature is more like 58C btw (assuming target/external temperature of 60C). Whilst it's resting it'll go up another degree or two.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom