Anyone Using an Asus DSL-AC68U

Associate
Associate
Yep they should work on standard ADSL as they have a modem built in and says they are compatible with ADSl / ADSL2+ etc.

http://www.asus.com/Networking/DSLAC68U/

They're impossible to find atm. Google only turns up results in Australia with several users saying faster than their previous premium modems / routers so looking very good. I presume they've only been released in Aus up to now.

BTW, as an aside (maybe OC can feed this back to Asus), I wish they'd choose different model numbers for their products as its really easy to confuse them when the only difference is the prefix lettering. eg there's an older non modem RT-AC68U as well as the DSL-AC68U.

Associate
I'm waiting for these to come out in the UK too and will snap one up as soon as it does. It supposedly works well with the BT FTTC stuff and the home hub 5 I have from BT is shockingly bad. It reboots itself multiple times a week when under load.

I've been using the RT-N56U router/wireless access point for a few years now and its a cracking bit of kit. With the dsl-ac68U I can pair this up as a wifi extender in the house too.

I notice that the ASUS UK site has only been updated to include this product in the last week or so, so hopefully its coming very soon.

Associate
I am speaking to ASUS at the moment trying to find out when these will be available in the UK.

edit: You will be looking at the end of July for stock within the UK. I will be getting it set up as soon as possible and will be taking pre-orders. I will post on the forum once it is set up.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am speaking to ASUS at the moment trying to find out when these will be available in the UK.

edit: You will be looking at the end of July for stock within the UK. I will be getting it set up as soon as possible and will be taking pre-orders. I will post on the forum once it is set up.

Thanks abarrass, any idea on price (roughly)?

Associate
I think suggested retail is roughly around the price of the RT-AC68U from what I've seen on the Asus web site / elsewhere.

Associate
I'b be interested in this to free up a socket/clutter near to my telephone master socket.

Hope it is priced somewhere around the current AC68U price

Associate
I've got the RT version the fiber version. It's beautiful! !

The beauty of the new one (DSL prefix) is that I understand it supports both fibre and ADSL, so it's future proof.

If you're on fibre and suddenly unable to afford the subscription, then you can still use it on ADSL. If you're on ADSL and decide to upgrade to fibre, you can still use it on fibre.

I think it's essentially an RT with upgraded features / added modem.

Associate
I've got the RT version the fiber version. It's beautiful! !

I think the RT version can only be used for fibre in conjunction with the Openreach Modem or another compatible FTTC Modem. In my case they now use the HomeHub 5 as a modem and router so I don't have the separate Openreach modem and cant use the RT version.

The DSL version contains a VDSL2 modem so can replace the Openreach modem (And it also contains an ADSL/ADSL2+ for regular DSL).

Soldato
I think the RT version can only be used for fibre in conjunction with the Openreach Modem or another compatible FTTC Modem. In my case they now use the HomeHub 5 as a modem and router so I don't have the separate Openreach modem and cant use the RT version.

The DSL version contains a VDSL2 modem so can replace the Openreach modem (And it also contains an ADSL/ADSL2+ for regular DSL).

Correct. This is why I want one. :D

Associate
Some reviews of the DSL-N66U I saw seemed to indicate the radios weren't as good as they could be. Plus I'm starting to fill up the house with AC kit so it seems like I should be buying AC routers now...

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
It'll be interesting to see how well the integrated VDSL modem performs with HAUWEI & ECI DSLAMS.

Associate
It'll be interesting to see how well the integrated VDSL modem performs with HAUWEI & ECI DSLAMS.

Well as someone who's had a Hauwei modem, I can't say I was overly impressed with a Hauwei to Hauwei or ECI connection.

There are a few people on this forum in OZ reporting increased download speeds on both wireless and wired connections:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2272447

This in particular caught my eye:

ok giving this thing a bit of a stress test , got 20 devices connected to it and and streaming 7 vid feed at one to various devices , the dsl-ac68u is still pretty much asleep , cpu usage below 12% and no real effect on ram

:0

Associate
Only difference |I can spot is the "r" version appears to support an IP Sec Sever (801.11n isn't listed in the top feature list on the R, but mentioned down below):

It's probably difficult to read, so to do a comparison yourself (not clear from the asus website, tick compare product for each of the versions U and R, then go to the search box at the top right of the Asus web page. Next to it there are 3 horizontal lines, click on these and you'll find "Compare List" in the drop down menu and there should be 2 items in it if you ticked both U and R versions. Click on Compare List, and it should bring up a picture of each item along with the description in a ribbon style display. Click the Compare Now button and you have your comparison!

Why Asus hide it away like that I don't know!

9zvs41.jpg

Back
Top Bottom