*** Official Kodi (née XBMC) Thread ***

Soldato
The issue I had with my Lenovo was that the boot up time into Windows 7, even with an SSD crammed in instead of the standard HDD, was quite long and then I had issues with the graphics as I struggled to get the modified drivers specific to my machine!

All I want is a simple, reliable playback device to stream content from my NAS (via ethernet so not wireless) - predominantly HD films (some 1080p but the majority 720p)

Ideally I'd like a lightning fast boot up and then control via either a wireless mouse of possibly some sort of smartphone/tablet app (Android)

I've tried the WDTV Live which worked for the most part but I really like the XBMC user interface!

Does this sound like the Pi or should I be looking at something else??

The Pi doesn't boot that quick to be honest... but I guess you could just leave it on all the time.

Associate
Can anyone help me? I have my music library and I have an album clubland: Eurodance and in xbmc it is showing the album like 100 time for every different artist on the album.

Whats the solution to this? Do I need to change the song tagging to just say Various artists on all the songs?

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a USB stick to go for with my Raspberry Pi to speed up Raspbmc?

I'm assuming it doesn't have to be that big a capacity (as I'm streaming everything from my NAS anyway!) and that it's the read speed that's the important bit?

Man of Honour
My PI Model B has arrived today, with a SD Card with NOOBS installer on it, on it's way some point next week...

I believe this SD Card will allow me to install xbmc(openelec), are there any USB Wi-Fi adapters out there that work without the need for drivers?

Cheers

The Dynamode WL-700N-XS works with RaspBMC straight out the box. and can be had for £5 if you look around.

Soldato
I got one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-WIRE...SB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item4aace7f646

Or any of the follow chipsets RTL8712U,RTL8192SU,RTL8192CU,RTL8188CU are plug and play on RaspBMC.

You can download RaspBMC here: http://www.raspbmc.com/

Its got quite a lot of features and quick too, I cant say how it compares to OpenElec as I've not used that on the Pi since the real early days. It doesnt take long so test them all so see which one feels good for you. You can also try http://www.xbian.org

Soldato
Have any of you much experience with Pseudotv plugin (PTV), I'm running it on an ouya just now and it runs great apart from the fact when I change the channel the next program plays from the start instead of half way through as designed.
I'm guessing it's down to the fact I'm running an alpha build of xbmc to be honest, but any suggestions?

Is it really meant to allow you to start watching a show halfway through? i wouldnt be surprised if it's working as designed.

I find the pseudotv plugin a bit baffling to be honest. When i set it up, it populated channels with movies and tv shows, which is good, but the tv episodes were randomly presented. It paid no attention to watched history, which makes it pretty pointless to me.

Caporegime
I was using xbmc at a friends talk talk house and " YOUR ISP HAS BLOCKED Your M....., SORRY "

ffs I want to watch a good movie! Thanks Sky it's not blocked :D

Associate
Is it really meant to allow you to start watching a show halfway through? i wouldnt be surprised if it's working as designed.

I find the pseudotv plugin a bit baffling to be honest. When i set it up, it populated channels with movies and tv shows, which is good, but the tv episodes were randomly presented. It paid no attention to watched history, which makes it pretty pointless to me.

No, it mimics TV, so if i'm watching something on channel one and flick to channel two it is supposed to be in line with when the program started on teh EPG.
That's how it was designed, i've got it working fine on my PC just a few more issue on the ouya, which I guess are to be expected for a while.

In regards to your problem with the tv episodes, you can set better rules for the channels so that say at 6pm everyday the simpsons will come on and it plan the next in the series.
You do have to do a bit of work with the rules but it's worth it for people like me who can never decide what to watch.

NZB

NZB

Associate
Thought i'd give the RGB setting instead of the default ycbcr in the catalyst driver settings and what a difference it's made when using xbmc, blacks on the plasma are much better and more like the other inputs now. RGB full is too dark even when i whack the contrast and brightness up on the TV but the limited one is perfect.

Can't believe it's taken me this long to try.

Associate
I was using xbmc at a friends talk talk house and " YOUR ISP HAS BLOCKED Your M....., SORRY "

ffs I want to watch a good movie! Thanks Sky it's not blocked :D

What exactly was being blocked?

Does anyone know how make the movie collection screen be default when starting xbmc? I use the osx version.

Associate
Are you asking about art for individual movies? If so, the artwork downloader addon is what you need.

Are you asking about the artwork assigned to the xbmc feature, Movie Sets?

That might be dependent on the skin you use. I think XBMC by default just picks art for the first movie in the collection that has art. But I think some skins find ways to manage this differently.

Edit: someone has made an addon to automate the process of manually updating movie set art: Artwork Automator

Sorry forgot to get back to you about this, i tried the add on and it installed perfectly but when I scan the library for sets its just showing with 0 matches found. Strange

Soldato
I'm having a right mare with this NOOBS installer.

I've tried installing RaspBMC numerous times but keep getting the following error:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,2)

Anyone have any idea how to get around this?

Cheers

Soldato
I'm having a right mare with this NOOBS installer.

I've tried installing RaspBMC numerous times but keep getting the following error:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,2)

Anyone have any idea how to get around this?

Cheers

Tried a different SD card? Some are just not compatible. You could always try RaspBMC direct from their website, its real easy with a PC.

Edit: just saw this on their website "Update: Users who installed via NOOBS should backup their cmdline.txt before updating or they will get a rootfs mounting error. Future versions of NOOBS will fix this issue."

Last edited:
Soldato
Only the installer, SD card reader and a SD card. Just plug in the card and run the installer, it'll quickly download and copy the required files to the SD card, once done, insert it into the Pi and start it up. That will then run another installer on the actual Pi and download the latest RasBMC.

Back
Top Bottom