Left for dead 2 and Bt homehub

Associate
Ok I've trawled through the bowels of the intertubes looking for a similar problem that I get, to no avail. I know that the homehub aint a great router but its all I have.

So I can play LFD2 fine for sometime then my net dies. The router dies and only a restart seems to kick the net back into life. No whats weird is that its not just my PC. It seems to kill the whole net connection for everyother device, console, phone etc.

Associate
Before i moved to BT infinity i was on normal BT ADSL with a homehub and the only time i had issues with disconnects for everyone on the network was when i was downloading something from Steam, it would be the same when my brother was.

Playing games was never an issue though :/.

Have you got another router you can try?

Associate
OP
Nope wired and steams not been downloading anything when its happened. Its weird as the router becomes flat out dead, no blinking lights nada. Its only lfd2 it happens on, if it was with other games I'd point my finger towards the router. But its not, also I have opened all the ports for steam to use so its not being blocked.

Whats funny is that sometimes it happens and sometimes I can play it fine all night. Its a real puzzle to me. I dont have access to any other spare router so I cant test that out.

Might look at getting one though.

Associate
I have the same issue. Appears most on L4D2 but does happen on some other games which i cant remember.

the router just reboots itself..... Crap router!

Associate
I'd imagine it's due to the router having poor handling of UDP packets. When scanning for servers it treats each request as a seperate connection, which quickly overruns the NAT connection table if the router doesn't discard these unused connections afterwards within an appropriate timeframe - thus causing it to crash out. Linksys routers used to be really bad for this as they wouldn't drop unused UDP connections for days, when they need to be dropped within minutes at most.

There is one solution you can try - set your connection speed within the Steam options to something lower (i.e. instead of 2mbit DSL, try the 768k DSL option). Restart Steam when it prompts you to. This doesn't affect your download speeds, but it does reduce the amount of servers the browser/lobby will scan in a short timeframe, thus potentially avoiding a NAT connection table flood on your router. Other than that, consider getting a better router or checking if there's updated firmware for your existing one.

Associate
OP
Hmm it does not happen very often in the server browser. It seems to happen more when Im in game. I'll certainly try lowering my steam connection speed and see if that works. Thanks for the help all.

Associate
I get the same thing - had it with L4D1 and L4D2. Having connected to a server, I'll be playing for about a minute then I'll hear a big 'click' noise on the homehub... next thing all the lights flash on the hub and it basically reboots itself. Once it reboots and I start playing again, it'll normally be okay.

I have an old homehub, this one...
90px-BT_Home_Hub.JPG

Associate
OP
I get the same thing - had it with L4D1 and L4D2. Having connected to a server, I'll be playing for about a minute then I'll hear a big 'click' noise on the homehub... next thing all the lights flash on the hub and it basically reboots itself. Once it reboots and I start playing again, it'll normally be okay.

I have an old homehub, this one...
90px-BT_Home_Hub.JPG

Yup same one.

Back
Top Bottom