Antec P180 Owners Thread

Soldato
My PSU is an OCZ powerstream and the motherboard is a DFI UT250.

It fitted in fine :) The only minor problem you may be able to see is that the ATX power lead interfers with my Audigy 2 ZS in the bottom PCI slot.

The 12v power cable has plenty of length to reach round my 9700 which is good.

I found that there is a gap under the PSU that is handy for storing cables underneath that aren't required by the PSU. I also removed the bottom fan as I don't really need it. This also makes is easier for running a power lead to my HDD.

I found the best way to unclip the fan filters was to open up the front, and help move the clip down on the inside.

The cooling really is excellent. I've been playing Tony Hawk 3 (oh yeah!) for about 40mins and I checked the CPU temp after and it was 34 degrees :)

Associate
How many fans does the case come with ??

1 in the top
1 in the back
1 in lower section middle
1 in the front

and space for another 120 some were ? and a 80mm in the GFX duct thing ?

is it worth me buying any extra fans with it ?

Soldato
Am considering a P180. Really like the looks.

Just have 3 questions I was hoping one of you lucky oweners could answer me :

1. Is the graphics card ducting system rubbish like some reviews have said and will it fit an 80x80x25mm fan as I read somewhere it will only take a 20mm or less fan as standard 80mm interfere with some video cards.

2. Can you close the door fully with an Audigy4 front panel (5.25") and Akasa junior fan controller installed (3.5").

3. Do you think I would see much of a cooling improvement. My Eclipse is fitted out with 2xAcoutfan dustproof fans (55cfm) front and back, and the sidepanel is modded with aluminium mesh so that the 7800's dont choke. I have used a Zalman fanbracket to mount a 3rd 120mm Acoutsifan to feed the cards with cold air. Temps are according to asus proble - mobo idle 29, cpu 31, and gpus 42 each. Havnt seen cpu go over 50 yet when gaming and gpus stay in low 50's as well.

thx

Associate
OP
dunny87 said:
How many fans does the case come with ??

1 in the top
1 in the back
1 in lower section middle
1 in the front

and space for another 120 some were ? and a 80mm in the GFX duct thing ?

is it worth me buying any extra fans with it ?

Comes with one on the top, one on the back and one in the psu tunnel. There space for one at the front and one in the vga duct.

You won't neet to buy extras. Cooling is not a problem.

Associate
OP
Flanno said:
Am considering a P180. Really like the looks.

Just have 3 questions I was hoping one of you lucky oweners could answer me :

1. Is the graphics card ducting system rubbish like some reviews have said and will it fit an 80x80x25mm fan as I read somewhere it will only take a 20mm or less fan as standard 80mm interfere with some video cards.

2. Can you close the door fully with an Audigy4 front panel (5.25") and Akasa junior fan controller installed (3.5").

3. Do you think I would see much of a cooling improvement. My Eclipse is fitted out with 2xAcoutfan dustproof fans (55cfm) front and back, and the sidepanel is modded with aluminium mesh so that the 7800's dont choke. I have used a Zalman fanbracket to mount a 3rd 120mm Acoutsifan to feed the cards with cold air. Temps are according to asus proble - mobo idle 29, cpu 31, and gpus 42 each. Havnt seen cpu go over 50 yet when gaming and gpus stay in low 50's as well.

thx

1. I don't really know. I have the duct in but no fan.

2. Pass

3. I don't think you would see a cooling improvement over the eclipse, but you would probably have a quieter pc.

Soldato
Pics of the VGA duct - sorry for slightly off quality, still unsure how to use this A85 correctly

vga1.jpg

vga2.jpg

You can see that with a standard 80mm fan, it sticks out of the duct.

Associate
OP
I read somewhere that its quite easy to mount a fan within the duct, rather than on the outside, which then avoids interference worries.

Associate
carnt wait to get hold of my case and have a mess around with it.

ordering it from OC's friday morning so hopefully it will be here by mid next week

Soldato
As soon as anyone has tried a Hiper Type R 580watt modular PSU with this I'd like to know. They have a pretty short ATX 24pin cable and I'm not convinced it'd reach much!

Especially be interested in hearing if the hiper 24 pin ATX plug would reach the socket on an Epox EP-9NPA

Associate
To chip in my thoughts :

Pros

1. Looks WAY nicer in the flesh than from the reviews - very smart :)
2. Excellent cooling with low noise
3. Superb HDD dampening - I cannot hear the seeks from my 36gb Raptor !! -My previous case (Eclipse 62) used to vibrate badly with HDD seeks but the P180 muffled the seek noises superbly.
4. Installation was a lot easier than I thought - cable management is not so much of an issue - my Enermax 485w Noisetaker cables all reached without any problems.

Cons

1. Side panel clips are a bit fiddly
2. Air duct for Graphics Card. Not sure of the usefulness or practicality of this yet !
3. Manual a bit poor

On the whole though a fantastic case - perhaps the best I have ever owned / used. Its low noise properties (particularly for HDD) and excellent cooling are superb. I have the two tri-cool fans at the rear and top on the lowest setting, and no 120mm in the front of the HDD's and getting idle temps in the low 30s and load temps in the low 40s.

Associate
Set mine up last night without any problems except my 12v lead would not make it to the top of my A8N-E. (Had to order a Molex to 12v connector).

I don't know if I'm being stupid but I cannot find any speaker or speaker connector.

Please confirm.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom