Does your university cap resits at the pass mark, or give you zero?

Associate
Capped at 40% at the University of Ulster. Our second year marks also didn't contribute to my degree classification (BSc Hons Computing Science), only my final year marks. Irritatingly that's also the only year I failed a module :(

Associate
Capped at 40% at Bristol. Seems a bit harsh to give you 0 but if that was your original mark then I guess it's fair.

Kinda defeats the point of being able to resit a bit though, if your grade can't move at all. Having it capped at the very minimum pass mark makes a bit more sense to me, I'd find it odd to see someone coming out of uni with a pass, but with marks below pass grade. If they're letting you resit they should at least give that, it my opinion anyhow.

And on a slight tangent, I think he said it was 0% because he didn't attend the exam for whatever reason? You could argue that if he had been at the exam he would have got a higher mark even if it was just 1%. Although then the reasons he didn't go to the exam would have to be justified a bit more.

Soldato
OP
Kinda defeats the point of being able to resit a bit though, if your grade can't move at all. Having it capped at the very minimum pass mark makes a bit more sense to me, I'd find it odd to see someone coming out of uni with a pass, but with marks below pass grade. If they're letting you resit they should at least give that, it my opinion anyhow.

And on a slight tangent, I think he said it was 0% because he didn't attend the exam for whatever reason? You could argue that if he had been at the exam he would have got a higher mark even if it was just 1%. Although then the reasons he didn't go to the exam would have to be justified a bit more.

I don't think it would change the justification at all though, it's the overly punitive nature of only taking your first-sit mark, even after a favourable resit which would take you to 40%. I'd get a 2:2 whether I got 20% in my exams and then did re-sits, or if I got 0% and then did re-sits (under the Nottingham Uni system).

I didn't bull**** my way through an extenuating circumstances claim (which I could have done, claiming depression/drug addiction), but instead took it on my back and worked my arse off to correct my mistake. There's no rehabilitation aspect to the system as it were, and therefore there is no incentive for me to work at all in the third year. To punish in three ways: 1. Having to come back in August and resit exams (for which I had to cut short a holiday abroad), 2. Having my 2:1 target raised to 65%, AND 3. Taking all my resits at first-sit mark seems ridiculously draconian.

Associate
sorry if this is off topic, but its not worthy of a thread in itself.

are the exams given at every uni the same exams? like a calculus module paper for example, is this the same paper nationwide? or does each uni set its own papers? or are the several exam boards like at a-level?

Soldato
OP

are the exams given at every uni the same exams? like a calculus module paper for example, is this the same paper nationwide? or does each uni set its own papers? or are the several exam boards like at a-level?

Each sets their own exams. (Seeing as each university runs a different course, it would be quite hard to set nationwide exams :p)

If that were the case then derby/wolverhampton/staffs uni would be seen as similar standard to notts(the real one not trent)/ loughborough/bath/bristol/oxbridge etc etc. A post grad with a 2:1 at oxford would be seen in the same light as someone with a 2:1 at derby in the same subject as they sat the same exam. Obviously this is not the case:p In real life a smaller name uni student sits a big name uni exam they fail badly.

I am an engineer and if the courses are not to a high enough standard, they are not IET or IMECHE accredited.

EDIT: corrected some sp's

Last edited:
Associate
If that were the case then derby/wolvohampton/staffs uni would be seen as similar standard to notts(the real one not trent)/ loughborough/briston/bristol/oxbridge etc etc. A post grad with a 2:1 at oxford would be seen in the same light as someone with a 2:1 at derby in the same subject as they sat the same exam. Obviously this is not the case:p In real life a smaller name uni student sits a big name uni exam they fail badly.

yea thats what i was thinking, just making sure :p

Soldato

Typically, your exams will be written by your module lecturers.

Man of Honour
University of Bristol:

"A student will normally be expected to take a resit examination if a mark of less than 40% is obtained in the theory examination; the minimum pass mark (ie 40%) or the “higher of the two assessments if neither is a pass mark” will go forward even though a student may achieve a mark greater than the pass mark in the resit examination."

Back
Top Bottom