Alternative to BT Home Hub 2.0 (Fibre Connection - BT Infinity)

Soldato
So after a year or so of having Fibre with BT Infinity, think I've had just about enough of the Home Hub 2.0. I play a lot of games and it seems like everytime a new game comes out I have to fiddle with ports and such just to play the game correctly, it's a bit ridiculous. There's so many bugs in the firmware aswell so a simple task like port forwarding is also becoming really difficult. I've been reading up a lot online recently and the general advice people are being given is something along the lines of 'Get rid of that router asap and buy a proper one', can any of you suggest a good router as an alternative to the Home Hub 2.0?

I don't do anything fancy on my network, I have a PC which is wired whilst my PS3 and 360 are wireless. My price range is around £50, would really appreciate it if anybody could suggest something.

Thanks a lot fellas.

Soldato
OP
HH 2.0 is compatible with BT Infinity yes, I tried calling them before to report the firmware bugs with the router. The guy was a tech from the UK aswell so I was able to have a good conversation with him about the whole thing, he said there are indeed a lot of firmware bugs with both HH 2.0 router types (A and B) and BT are well aware of it that's why they pushed to get HH 3.0 released ahead of schedule.

I asked could I get the HH 3.0 saying as mine is defective and he said there's no way BT will send a replacement as by their definition, my internet is fine he said as soon as they start doing line tests and see your connection and speed are fine they would fob me off straight away.

By all accounts anyway the HH 3.0 isn't much of an improvement over 2.0, that's why I was asking for an alternative. The BT tech actually advised me to go and buy a Netgear, that shows you how awful the routers are when their own techs won't even lie about them.

Soldato
By all accounts anyway the HH 3.0 isn't much of an improvement over 2.0, that's why I was asking for an alternative. The BT tech actually advised me to go and buy a Netgear, that shows you how awful the routers are when their own techs won't even lie about them.

Mine refused to give me a HH2.0 (quite abit ago), and said that if you want any improvement, you might as well not bother with the HH2.0, and just get another router.

I got a Belkin one, works great for Wireless, and with the Xbox, but gives Mod Nat on the ps3, But netgear is the best one to go for :)

Soldato
Drunzer: Been looking to replace my own HH3 with a Draytek 2750N, but the price is too expensive, so the N300 (WNR3500L) is an interesting option, as it has gigabit ports.

Would like to know what the wireless is like, & other peeps views of it first though.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Just put it in bridge mode and then install secondary router.

I use pfsense as a firewall/router.

I still want to see if i can take the bt home hub out of the chain. Because i am not sure if i even need it, but i have not bothered to disconnect it and test it.

At the moment i have the bt infinity modem going in to bt business hub in bridge mode, then it goes in to pfsense pc and then in to my pc via another network card in the pc.

pfsense installs like an os from usb.

Back
Top Bottom