Twitch TV Streaming

Associate
Hi, just wondering if anyone has had experience streaming games to Justin/Twitch TV. I would like to stream multiboxing my five warlocks and also for SWTOR being released. However I cannot get my stream to run smoothly. I have tried various settings and tried various broadcasting software. I have read some guides saying that you can stream smoothly at 480p with a 500kbps upload speed. Any ideas chaps?

edit: heres a video of me playing some bf3, as you can see the video is very blocky and laggy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTzAspXqaaY

Last edited:
Associate
OP
My specs are Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz, Corsair XMS3 12GB, Corsair H80, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 120GB OCZ Agility 3, 3TB Hitachi Deskstar, 2GB MSI 6970, Asus Xonar D2X, Windows 7 64bit Pro

My internet is 50 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload

Soldato
Can't really help you with FME sorry. Stopped using that program months ago, never really had much luck with it. I currently use SCFH DFS with Xsplit.

Here's the quality I get: http://www.twitch.tv/scottyyy/b/298908643

I'll try and do some settings for you. Try these out and see if it works for you, if you want to try without FME.

obL63.png

mBrWT.png

If you don't know how to get SCFH in Xsplit, just go to file - add camera. Then right click SCFH in the screen sources box and go to video capture format and change the resolution to your screen res and the framerate to 25. After you've done that you'll have to restart both programs to apply the settings.

In Xsplit do 960x540 (assuming you have a 1920x1080 screen resolution) and 25 fps. Make sure you lower the scale viewpoint to 10%. It's a low resolution but you can't use a high res with that upload speed unfortunately, even though your CPU can handle it.

Other things to note: having any sort of flash player open will destroy your stream fps. So don't watch your own stream to see if you're lagging, because you'll make yourself lag if you do that.

With the settings above you can adjust the bitrate to whatever you want. If you find you have a stable fps with those settings you can increase it to 800 or 900, but be aware this might make your ping go up in game. You just need to find the sweet spot for the bitrate based on your own internet. Also you can mess with the Xsplit preset too. ultrafast is good for lower resolution streams, but if you have very good fps you can try a slower setting to get more video quality.

edit: just checked your video and noticed it's 720p. You can really go that high with your upload speed unfortunately. Look at my video for example. That's 720p with 1300kbps bitrate and it's still blurry. You need about 2000-3000 bitrate to play an fps without it being blocky at 720p I'm afraid. Mine is just passable with my bitrate.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for those settings, I shall try them later tonight. Its pretty much down to my available bandwidth which is rubbish. Need to look into getting 100meg internet, which has 10meg up and should do the job for a nice 720p stream. Thanks again

Soldato
Didn't realise anyone could do this! Going to give it a try

EDIT: I can't seem to get decent quality just using xsplit how do you guys use the other programs with it I have no idea what I'm doing.

EDIT: Sorry just seen your link.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thanks for those settings, I shall try them later tonight. Its pretty much down to my available bandwidth which is rubbish. Need to look into getting 100meg internet, which has 10meg up and should do the job for a nice 720p stream. Thanks again

If you're on Virgin Media 50 MB then you should have a 10 MB upload. At least mine is, so I don't see why yours wouldn't be. I was under the impression that they'd upgraded all 50 MB lines to 10 MB upload.

Associate
OP
If you're on Virgin Media 50 MB then you should have a 10 MB upload. At least mine is, so I don't see why yours wouldn't be. I was under the impression that they'd upgraded all 50 MB lines to 10 MB upload.

only 1 meg upload for me, although thinking about it I remember hearing about the upload being upgraded. not sure really

edit: im going to call VM today and see if I can get my upload sorted, as it seems I should have 10 meg upload with my service. I pay them enough every month anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can Stream 720p on 2mb easily.

There are little tips and hits ect that can sort xsplit.

I use, Aero off generally - useing it on for wow as it gives less lag that way. 1280x720 @ 30fps - I do stream at less during FPS games because it can cause lag - But generally 100% 720p.

Also as you can see, I don't use the twitch settings that come inside xsplit - reason why: The London preset doesn't actually use the London servers.

twitchcm.jpg

I got the url in that from Gunrun on twitch twitter and has improved my streams no end.

BTW my stream: www.twitch.tv/peeejayz

Idea of the quality in wow: http://www.twitch.tv/peeejayz/b/300017280

And i'm using VM 100mb down 10mb up.

But i was on 50/5 and streaming 720 before.

Soldato
FME is awful, it does not appropriately distribute your upload accordingly. You will find pixelation at low bitrate and viewers not able to watch your stream with high bitrates.

It works well. but takes an age to setup, I used it before xsplit was out, and it took me a good month to get right. But its soo cpu intensive, you really need a i5 SB to beable to do 1080.

Back
Top Bottom