International Qualification Recognition

Associate
Good morning,

I was wondering if anybody here had any knowledge on international qualification recognition for students wanting to study in the UK, preferably with any information regarding the Polish education system. This is in regards to what it would take to study for an undergraduate degree BA(Hons), and how the entry requirements translate.

I know i'm being a little vague, but if anybody does know anything about this subject, i could possibly go into more detail.

Thank you.

Soldato
email ucas, they'll let you know how your qualifications convert to UCAS points, which is the most widely accepted qualifications system amongst British universities.

edit: see if your qualifications are covered here . Click on the tarriff calculator and scroll down for a list.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you for the swift reply. I have been in touch with the University of Central Lancashire, and they have provided me with the following information. Just to inform you, this is not for myself. :)

Diploma (in professional fields from a Szkoly Pomaturalne) Is considered comparable to BTEC / SQA Higher National Certificate (HNC) standard
Licencjat / Inzynier Is considered comparable to BTEC / SQA Higher National Diploma (HND) standard / Foundation degree standard

Swiadectwo Dojrzalosci / Matura Is considered comparable to the overall GCE Advanced / Scottish Advanced Higher standard

Swiadectwo Dojrzalosci Technikum (Technical Matura from a Technikum or Liceum Zawodowe) Is considered comparable to Advanced Vocational Certificate of Education (AVCE) / BTEC National Diploma standard

Swiadectwo Ukonczenia Szkoly Zasadniczej (Certificate of Completion of Basic Vocational School) Is considered comparable to VGCSE (grades A*-C) / BTEC First Diploma / SQA Intermediate 2 standard

Swiadectwo Ukonczenia Technikum / Swiadectwo Ukonczenia Liceum Technicznego (Certificate of Completion of Technikum or Technical Liceum) Is considered comparable to a standard between BTEC First Diploma and BTEC National Diploma (May require the completion of a foundation year for entry to higher education in the UK)

Technik (Technician) / Dyplom Ukonczenia Szkoly Policealne (Diploma of completion of Szkoly Policealne) Is considered comparable to Advanced Vocational Certificate of Education (AVCE) / BTEC National Diploma standard

If you have a look at the bold text, that is the one that i think applies to the qualification that i think the person i am researching this for will have. However, i have no idea what GCE Advanced / Scottish Advanced Standard Higher is, can you get into University with just this qualification? I can't quite understand the UCAS website.

Edit: It looks like wikipedia are saying an A for the Scottish Advanced Standard Higher qualification is worth 120 UCAS points, can anybody confirm this? Thanks :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I think thats right, I studied 2 advanced highers and got a C for one and my course didnt even require it. They are generally the highest qualification you can get in school before university level. Only the most prestigious universities actually ask for them (IIRC, my friend who went to do law at oxford needed 3 advanced higher As :eek: )

If you have a couple at this level, and a couple of lower level qualifications in different subject area, you should be ok.

As I say, the best judgement these days is UCAS points (Obviously, the university will also want you to have qualifications in certain subjects)

120 points for an advanced higher A sounds about right though.Let me check.

Soldato
yep, 120 points for an advanced higher A

As a comparison, the course I am doing required 2As and 2 Bs in Scottish highers (one of the As had to be maths) which is equal to about 320 ucas points.

edit: I actually have around 600 ucas points under my belt :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom