Engine revving when idle... (Mk3 Mondeo)

Soldato
Just noticed this issue two nights ago on the way home and wondered if if it's something I should get looked at.

I drive a Mk3 Mondeo, 2004, Petrol 1.8 with 60k on the clock. After changing gear, my rev counter will sit at 1.5k revs, sometimes 2k revs, before settling down to the normal idle (just under 1k) after a couple seconds. So when I pull up to a pedestrian crossing, I put the car in first and keep the clutch in, the engine revs up (scared an old lady this afternoon!), but it also happens when I put the car in neutral. Even when I'm tootling along and changing up or down, it will head for 1.5 or 2 when I push the clutch in, rather than 1k like normal.

A week ago my clutch started squeaking intermittently. Related, or just a coincidental squeaky pedal?

I'm fairly inept when it comes to cars (I can change tyres and fluids - I'm ok with DIY, just never done much with my cars) so curious as to whether it's something I can take a look at, or should I take it along to the local mechanic (in which case having an idea what the problem is might help me not get ripped off)?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Soldato
OP
Ok, so I took the valve off, cleaned it out and will be going for a test run shortly (didn't see much gunk coming out - ran clear almost immediately). Should I have also cleaned the non-removable part, or just the part I actually took off?

Last edited:
Associate
Ok, so I took the valve off, cleaned it out and will be going for a test run shortly (didn't see much gunk coming out - ran clear almost immediately). Should I have also cleaned teh non-removable part, or jsut wht I actually took off? :D

Sounds like to me that the Throttle Position Sensor may need replacing (That's if they have them on MK3 Mondeo's), I had the same problem with my 1.25 Zetec Fiesta where the revs would stick at the same place for around 4 seconds before dropping down to just under 1000rpm's. These are a common thing to play up on the Zetec engines and the only fix is to replace this sensor. They are usually only £30 from local motor factors or a well known auction site.

The ICV is also a possiblity as mentioned but the ICV's job is to regulate and control the air only when the car is idle.

Liam

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well, cleaning the part I removed (as per previous post) was not successful - went for a short test run and the problem persisted.

Is it possible I've just been over optimistic and I should wait a day or two, or should I clean the part of the valve I don't remove, or is this a job for the local mechanics?

Associate
I would look into to see if your Mondeo has a Throttle Position Sensor and try and test another one from another Mondeo to see if it cures the problem first. The cleaning of the ICV obviously sounds like it has not cured the problem as if the ICV was the cause, you would have noticed a change after cleaning it straight away.

Liam

Soldato
disconnect the throttle position sensor. The ecu should then operate without the sensor, and operate on default idle settings. If you're still getting throttle problems then it's not the throttle position sensor. If the problem goes away then it would suggest a faulty throttle position sensor and should probably be replaced.

This may or may not be correct.

Associate
disconnect the throttle position sensor. The ecu should then operate without the sensor, and operate on default idle settings. If you're still getting throttle problems then it's not the throttle position sensor. If the problem goes away then it would suggest a faulty throttle position sensor and should probably be replaced.

This may or may not be correct.

From what I have previously discovered the car will stall within 5 minutes or the car will try to stall with the Throttle Position Sensor disconnected. The best way to eliminate the Throttle Position Sensor is to try a another one.

Liam

Soldato
OP
Thanks fellas. I guess I'll try cleaning out the main part tomorrow when I have some daylight and if that fails, I'll take it to the guy down the road for an assessment. I could "borrow" my brother's valve but I'm not sure he'd want me digging around in his engine, seeing as I normally don't do anything beyond filling wiper fluid and putting petrol in :D

Soldato
OP
Well, I gave it some settling in time, but the problem persists. It doesn't really start until five minutes or so into my trip, so it waits for the engine to warm up before it starts giving me problems. Good news for short trips, not so goodnews for anything more than a few miles! I've given up with my feeble attempts to resolve it, so off to the local garage it goes.

Thanks to everyone who commented - I feel like I've improved my knowledge of cars by about 100% just from removing my IACV and cleaning it out :D

Associate
Hi Pookie Bear,
Did you get the car fixed if so what was the cause of the problem? I am going through the same thing with my 2004 2ltr petrol Mondeo, I have just replaced the idle air control valve and still have the same problem as you had, any info would be gratefully received.

Soldato
OP
Hi Pookie Bear,
Did you get the car fixed if so what was the cause of the problem? I am going through the same thing with my 2004 2ltr petrol Mondeo, I have just replaced the idle air control valve and still have the same problem as you had, any info would be gratefully received.
It turned out that there was a split air-pipe under my engine (S-shaped) and it was only getting worse. Sadly, they had to lift the engine out to replace it (so the labour costs were ten times the cost of the part), but the problem disappeared after they did the work.

Hope that helps.

Associate
It turned out that there was a split air-pipe under my engine (S-shaped) and it was only getting worse. Sadly, they had to lift the engine out to replace it (so the labour costs were ten times the cost of the part), but the problem disappeared after they did the work.

Hope that helps.

Many thanks, that will be my next stop then, will have a go my self, not sure how far i will get, can't even see it from up top. glad the problem disappeared after they did the work. :)

Associate
Job done!!

Three hours work not easy but no problems, found a split two inches long in a six inch pipe, twenty six pounds from the local Ford dealership. The car is now working as it should.
Many thanks.:)

Associate
Revving Mondeo

I have exactly the same issue. Today I replaced the idle control valve after my local garage ran diagnostics and said it is definately that. Still no joy and I am pretty sure it would be an air leak somewhere. Just after some information on this pipe you channged in the engine, as in where it is located and how to get to it to change it. Any information greatly appreciated I really need to get this fixed.

Back
Top Bottom