Waitrose Job Interview

Soldato
Read the 'about' section on their website - corporate and public.

Also might be worth checking recent news history on them so you're up to date, know what's going on.

Haven't been to a waitrose interview, but it makes sense for all jobs...

Apart from that, of it's a group one, make sure you stand out as an individual, but don't overpower others too much.

kd

Permabanned
Wear a SUIT. Disregard what other people say, WEAR A SUIT.

My dad's a tesco manager and he prioritises suit wearers. WEAR A SUIT.

SUIT JACKET.

Last edited:
Associate
I worked part-time at Waitrose from 2009-2011 and have been working temporarily this summer whilst waiting for uni to start again, so any questions you may have just ask.

As for the interview, mine was just a one-on-one but it was all about finding out whether or not you had the right attitude and a friendly personality. I was asked some very basic questions regarding what I would do in certain situations. For example, "If you couldn't solve a customer's problem by yourself, what would you do?".

I don't think my branch does group interviews so I have no idea how different they are. Oh and I know its obvious but wear a suit (jacket, tie, everything), I've seen some people turn up in a t-shirt and long shorts and not surprisingly I never saw them again.

What job have you applied for?

Last edited:
Associate
Ah okay then cheers, one question I'm pondering on. When they ask questions such as the one you just mentioned, do they prefer it if you don't reply "Ask the floor manager" or would they prefer me to ask the manager? I wouldn't want to seem too dependant on the manager, if that makes any sense.

I don't think there's a set right answer, just as long as it's a long the lines of "get someone else to help", either another colleague who is experienced or one of the managers.

Bear in mind that my interview was more than 2 years ago now so things might have changed in regards to what they ask and expect.

Permabanned
Ah okay then cheers, one question I'm pondering on. When they ask questions such as the one you just mentioned, do they prefer it if you don't reply "Ask the floor manager" or would they prefer me to ask the manager? I wouldn't want to seem too dependant on the manager, if that makes any sense.

Ask.

It's always ask if they pose that question in simple form.

I got a job interview when I was about 17 and after managing to deal with the entire interview pretty successfuly she threw in that at the end, and I tried to avoid looking dependent as you did but once I finished I realised it was probably the wrong way to approach it. She smiled and said I had the job, but in those situations she'd rather I ask her as any manager would.

Good luck, you'll do fine.
icon14.gif

Permabanned
I've been to a Waitrose group interview before and they don't really ask any serious questions. Just Qs to get to know you. I remember the "what animal are you? and plz draw it" as sticking out -_-

Soldato

Ask.

It's always ask if they pose that question in simple form.

I got a job interview when I was about 17 and after managing to deal with the entire interview pretty successfuly she threw in that at the end, and I tried to avoid looking dependent as you did but once I finished I realised it was probably the wrong way to approach it. She smiled and said I had the job, but in those situations she'd rather I ask her as any manager would.

Good luck, you'll do fine.
icon14.gif

Definitely refer to a floor manager. Throw in words like collaboration and customer experience and personal development to make it sound like you give a crap about the problems you take to your manager.

Also, the John Lewis group has a less than usual employee participation structure - essentially, a goodly portion of the company is owned by the employees. All of them. There's a more accurate business buzzword for it, but it basically means that when the company does well you get a bit extra. Learn about that aspect of the company and harp on about it being one of the things you find particularly attractive about working there.

Soldato
Also, the John Lewis group has a less than usual employee participation structure - essentially, a goodly portion of the company is owned by the employees. All of them. There's a more accurate business buzzword for it, but it basically means that when the company does well you get a bit extra. Learn about that aspect of the company and harp on about it being one of the things you find particularly attractive about working there.

Partners is the word you're looking for.

Back
Top Bottom