Waitrose Job Interview

Soldato
The people that turn their nose up at you for dressing smartly to a job interview are usually the ones still singing on.

True fact. I am aghast at people turning up for interviews in casuals.

I worked for an amazing guy once, there was a recruitment day going on at the company with interviewees coming and going. The boss came through the interview area (he wasn't taking the interviews) and stopped on the spot, turned to a chap sitting in the waiting area and asked him his name

"Billy Suchandsuch" he said

Boss said aloud

"Billy didn't think this job was worth having a shave and putting on a suit today. Billy is going to the back of the queue at the Post Office to collect his JSA" and walked off

He had such a way with people :cool:

Man of Honour
As someone who works in retail and involved in recruitment - suit absolutely not essential, generally it doesn't hurt - but bare in mind that we would be looking for people who we'd consider would stick around so if your applying for a non-managerial position and come in done upto the nines in a suit and presenting an overly professional aspect then in that context wearing a suit would be over doing it and hurt your chances.

Appearance and presentation is important in a role where your public facing so basic grooming/hygiene, a good pair of shoes, smart trousers and a nice shirt will pretty much tick all the boxes anything further won't really help you, probably won't hinder you but see above. I reccomend black trousers and a tie but a smart pair of jeans and no tie won't really hurt your chances either aslong as you look presentable.

The biggest aspect in depending if you will get this kind of job or not will be basic competency and how well the people doing the interview perceived your synergy with the current team would be.

Group interviews will mostly be about seeing how well you present yourself - be polite, clear and confident but not too overly confident, you will probably be asked to introduce yourself to the group, give a little bit of background on yourself and probably be asked to do a little roleplaying or talking in smaller groups about relevant experiences, etc. so be prepared with some examples of how you've dealt with problem customers, feedback from colleagues, etc. you might have if you've worked previously.

Last edited:
Associate
I'd just add to this that John Lewis / Waitrose pride themselves on standing out in a crowded market by providing excellent customer care, If you can, play on your customer care skills.

Also, all John Lewis Partners in branch wear suits, those in Waitrose of manager status or higher all wear suits, so I'd go to any interview dressed smartly, they have a strict dress code which includes tights for ladies at all times of the year!!

Good luck! It's an excellent company to work for :)

Back
Top Bottom