Samsung F4EG Firmware Update *1.5/2TB*

Soldato
Thanks for pointing this out. I am a bit stuck following the instructions from Samsung.

I have downloaded the f4EG program and put it on a usb - now what to I do?
How do i make the USB "bootable media"?

How do I ensure that this F4EG program does not do anything to my 3 other hard drives?

Associate
I've made several bootable discs using standard .iso available. However, what I'm struggling to do is get access to the F4EG.exe file to run the damn thing. I can't access the hard disk or usb drives on any of the bootable cd's I've burnt.

I've wasted 4 dsics already. Great fun this.

Last edited:
Soldato
How do I know if my drive if version F4EG?

I only know my drive is an HD204UI:
screenshot.23-12-2010%2015.44.47.png

I seem to be running firmware 1AQ1, is this version newer?

EDIT: To make a bootable USB disk you need to install freeDOS first then copy across the .EXE file. :)

Associate
My firmware is 1AQ10001 but I think the updated version is 1AQ10003.

I used the ESTOOL available from the samsung site to get this info and had to change a setting as the drive was the wrong size. Samsung did provide a bootable version so it made life easy to boot into the tool.

Unfortunately, my PC won't boot into anything USB. I need a CD to get going. It's probably an old motherboard BIOS but hey, I need to get to DOS to upgrade that too.. oh the irony.

Soldato
My firmware is 1AQ10001 but I think the updated version is 1AQ10003.
Cheers, I'm gonna go for an update. :)
Unfortunately, my PC won't boot into anything USB. I need a CD to get going. It's probably an old motherboard BIOS but hey, I need to get to DOS to upgrade that too.. oh the irony.
I have a 10 year computer that will boot from USB, what motherboard do you have? If you can't boot from USB then it may be worth hooking up and old floppy drive if only for a BIOS update!

Associate
My motherboard is Gigabyte GA P35C-DS3R. The bios gives me all the options to boot from usb-hdd,usb-floppy,usb-zip) but just doesn't do anything and sits there.

Maybe I've not prepared the memory sticks properly.

Associate
Every computer ive seen made since about 2002/03 can support usb boot. It shouldnt matter what boot option you pick USB HDD is what i always seem to go for.

Youll usually need to hold a hotkey during boot to get this menu on my motherboard its F12, but refer to your motherboards manual

You need this, to create a bootable usb drive:
http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197

and you will also need to source MSDOS boot files. When you format your usb stick ensure FAT/FAT32 is selected and you have ticked "create a DOS startup disk".

[After copying the firmware upgrade program over]
It is just a case of typing "dir" and running the program with an .exe (Executable extension) possibly with certain arguments OR there may be an autoexec.bat which you can run (this should get invoked automatically however).

I usually look up the arguments that i have to type in and prefer to backup my ROM before flashing it but its up to you.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Associate
Just tried it again using the HP tool and the windows 98 files. No joy and it wont boot to DOS. Even plugged the usb stick into the rear motherboard usb ports.

I will try again with another stick just in case this one is playing funny buggers.

Soldato
Firmware upgraded, you have to cycle the power once it's done otherwise your HD won't be detected...
You mean install Freedos on a USB key/CD?
Yes, I have FreeDos installed on a USB stick, which allows you to read files from the USB stick in DOS. I've now upgraded my firmware and ran ESTOOL from my USB stick, works a treat. :)
My motherboard is Gigabyte GA P35C-DS3R. The bios gives me all the options to boot from usb-hdd,usb-floppy,usb-zip) but just doesn't do anything and sits there.

Maybe I've not prepared the memory sticks properly.
Lol, your using a newer board than me! I'm using a GA-P965-DS3...

Keep tapping F12 when you see the BIOS screen. When you the the boot choice menu, go to "Hard Disks". Your USB stick should be there. If not then something is wrong...

Associate
Ok, the killer statement is the bit where you said "Go to hard disks". I was foolishly going to usb-hdd. I have now managed to boot into DOS ok. Phew!

I ran the F4EG and it appeared to do it's business to both my 2TB hard disks. I got a bit carried away and also decided to do a bios update too.

Only thing is now the damn ESTOOLS won't work as it runs out of stack space. I even tried the version of that worked yesterday via a bootable cd. Dang, wonder if something in the bios has changed.

Anyway, just checked in windows and the firmware description still appears to be 1AQ10001 so I'm not sure what is going on.

Anyway, at least I have made some progress today.

Associate
Device Manager
Disk Drives
Double click the 2TB (SAMSUNG HD204UI ATA Device)
Click Details Tab
Under the Property drop down, select Hardware Ids

This should present you with info in the Value field.

There should be no loss of data with running the update but don't come suing me if you lose your secret stash.

Soldato
I still have no idea what I need to do here guys!

Can someone give me an idiots guide to creating a bootable usb key.

Do i need to format the USB key first? if so lets start there.

Associate
Ok, use the link that rupert88 provided above, i.e. http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197

You need to download two lots of files. There are links for it on that page. One is:
HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool - v2.1.8 and equates to a file called SP27608.exe

The other are the MSDOS files which are needed to get the boot files. On that page, they are referred to as "Windows 98 System Files". This equates to a file called win98boot.zip

You need to extract all the files in win98boot.zip to a folder and remember that folder.

Next, you need to install the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool using the SP27608.exe file you downloaded earlier.

Once you have installed it, run it and you will be presented with a screenshot shown in the link provided by rupert88.

Change Device: to your usb stick
Set File system to FAT32
tick Quick format
tick Create a DOS startup disk
and then click "using DOS system files located at:" and point it at the folder you extracted the windows 98 files.

Click start.

This will format your usb stick so it can boot into it.

You then need to copy the F4EG.exe file onto the stick.

You can now boot into the usb stick making sure you select switch the boot order accordingly.

Hope that helps?

Back
Top Bottom