Best 24" LED mainly Gaming Monitor £250

Associate
Hey, im aware that there are other posts, but none seemed to suit my needs of what im looking for :(. I have spent the 2 days looking over the internet for a decent LED monitor, which has great quality but also good responsiveness to replace my 22" samsung synchmaster. I was really tempted by the BenQ EW2420, but after reading about the ghosting issues on games, decided to look further.

I game a lot, so that takes priority when looking for a monitor, but also want the good quality for 3d graphics work and I watch a lot of blu rays, so want something that will take advantage of that, im looking to spend upto about £250, interested in the 120hz 3d monitors, but just seem to expensive :(, anyone help me out?

Thankyou!

Soldato
Hi there,

If you want a very nice quality panel for 3D graphics work and movies - then I would suggest having a look at an IPS panel monitor like the Dell U2311H. It isn't LED backlit - but the CCFL it uses is still very good and the IPS panel is the real selling point. Here is a full review.

If you don't want to spend this kind of money then the BX2450 and P2450H are nice monitors - though they only use TN panels.

If you do want to go for 120Hz, then I would suggest this one. Its still only uses a TN panel (so the image quality and viewing angles are not as good as the Dell) but it still seems to be a good bit of kit (albeit £35 over budget) - here is a review.

Soldato
I would certainly recommend taking a good look at the U2311H, too. It is the only monitor I would really consider adequate for both 3D graphics work and your other uses within your budget. The lack of LED backlighting is neither here nor there as it has very little impact on image quality. Remember that most professional monitors (higher-end IPS monitors) use broad-gamut CCFL backlighting as white LEDs are restricted to much narrower colour gamuts and coloured LED arrays come with their own set of problems (including price).

Associate
OP
hey, thanks for quick response!

I want something with 5ms or less response time tbh, so the dell wouldent be suitable i dont think for games as its 8ms. I would be interested in the 3d monitors, but would rather go for this benq 3d monitor, as it seems more future proof for me, and basically the same price as the asus 3d monitor of another website. Would this Benq monitor be worth getting?

Also i forgot to say i need a HDMI aswell as DVI, I will be using the monitor with my xbox 360

Last edited:
Soldato
No LCD technology is future proof and it will be phased out over the next decade. You should look at the U2211H and XL2410 reviews on my website. Forget the figures as they don't tell you much - the U2311H is more responsive than some 2ms grey to grey monitors I've used. The XL2410T would be a terrible choice for your design work and in general you would be wise to stay clear of any current 3D monitor due to relatively weak image quality for the price. You'll have a tough time tryng time find a monitor that is well-suited to your uses and can be used with your XBOX. The P2450H is a decent choice once you have balanced the colour channels a bit and offers good gaming performance for PC and console.

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
Hi all, I ned to buy a monitor today or tomorrow. I will be using for gaming and I watch a lot of films [viewing angles are thus very important].

It's between the Benq and the Dell. Any reason I should go for one over the other? £250 is fine for me.

Could someone confirm the panel type for both?

EDIT - sorry mods, posted this in the wrong thread, pls delete if necessary.

Last edited:
Soldato
Read the reviews linked for an idea of what to expect from both in games. The Dell is an E-IPS and the BenQ is a 120Hz TN which accouns for many of the differences in image.

Associate
OP
No LCD technology is future proof and it will be phased out over the next decade. You should look at the U2211H and XL2410 reviews on my website. Forget the figures as they don't tell you much - the U2311H is more responsive than some 2ms grey to grey monitors I've used. The XL2410T would be a terrible choice for your design work and in general you would be wise to stay clear of any current 3D monitor due to relatively weak image quality for the price. You'll have a tough time tryng time find a monitor that is well-suited to your uses and can be used with your XBOX. The P2450H is a decent choice once you have balanced the colour channels a bit and offers good gaming performance for PC and console.

hey thanks for the help!

Well i think i may have narrowed it down to Samsung P2450H, still not to sure! lol, i want to get the best all rounder, as I wont be getting another monitor for a while, it a shame about the BenQ EW2420 response time tho, as its on offer this week!, anyone got any more ideas?

Also PCM2, i looked at your website, which has the best reviews of monitors i have found so far! and you have made a promising review of the EW2420, Just to say, i play a lot of PC games, mainly FPS, will the response time really be noticable? I

Last edited:
Soldato
to cmndr_andi, i have a nvidia gtx 470

Ah, ok. I was just asking because if you had a card with a native displayport output - then you could get the Dell U2311H and still have a port available for a HDMI games console (using a cheap adapter like this).

However, even with the GTX 470, you can run it alongside a console using a Dell U2311H - you just need this adapter (connect into the monitor) and a HDMI switch.

Last edited:
Soldato
hey thanks for the help!

Well i think i may have narrowed it down to Samsung P2450H, still not to sure! lol, i want to get the best all rounder, as I wont be getting another monitor for a while, it a shame about the BenQ EW2420 response time tho, as its on offer this week!, anyone got any more ideas?

Also PCM2, i looked at your website, which has the best reviews of monitors i have found so far! and you have made a promising review of the EW2420, Just to say, i play a lot of PC games, mainly FPS, will the response time really be noticable? I

No problem and thanks. We are getting a new colorimeter with some useful reporting features (Spyder3 Elite Version 4 software) to help analyse aspects such as screen uniformity and colour space graphically so the reviews should be getting even better this year. I think the review reflects the perspective of myself and other members of the 'PCM team' better than I could encapsulate here. Responsiveness is quite a subjective thing and how it affects the experience will vary from person to person. I consider myself to be pretty sensitive to responsivenss and I initially found the EW2420 a bit too sluggish. As I used it more and more and stopped looking out for trailing, specifically, I became quite comfortable with it. The contrast on the thing really is excellent for gaming and movies and if you are tolerent of the responsiveness the experience is awesome. I think one thing I picked up on in particular in the review was tracer fire on Arma 2 at night. Simply stunning!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
No problem and thanks. We are getting a new colorimeter with some useful reporting features (Spyder3 Elite Version 4 software) to help analyse aspects such as screen uniformity and colour space graphically so the reviews should be getting even better this year. I think the review reflects the perspective of myself and other members of the 'PCM team' better than I could encapsulate here. Responsiveness is quite a subjective thing and how it affects the experience will vary from person to person. I consider myself to be pretty sensitive to responsivenss and I initially found the EW2420 a bit too sluggish. As I used it more and more and stopped looking out for trailing, specifically, I became quite comfortable with it. The contrast on the thing really is excellent for gaming and movies and if you are tolerent of the responsiveness the experience is awesome. I think one thing I picked up on in particular in the review was tracer fire on Arma 2 at night. Simply stunning!

ahhhhh ok this sounds very promising then :cool:!,

also i forgot to say, my monitor atm is 5ms, so will I notice much difference between them?

Associate
No LCD technology is future proof and it will be phased out over the next decade.

Is there any hard evidence of that ? If you are referring to OLED, then that has been massively delayed due to problems with manufacturing larger screens without incurring large costs.

Also the length of time it takes to manufacture just one unit is still prohibitive so I've heard.

Soldato
I have been researching this very closely for several years and have some contacts working for the likes of Samsung in Asia who develop this. I can assure you that the cost hurdles are mainly related to research costs and the costs of developing efficient factories and processes. Billions upon billions of dollars are currently being invested by LG and Samsung so that they can ramp up production efficiency. The actual technology should be ready for primetime over the next few years - starting with some premium ~30" TVs later this year. Commercial viability, if everything stays on track, should be exepected by 2015-16. Thus LCD technology will likely be phased out over the coming decade, as I said.

Awesome, well thanks pcm2 i will buy the Benq monitor! if worse come to worse i can always send it back, I will respond back on how i find it aswell, thanks a lot guys! :D

Look forward to hearing about it. :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hey all!,

Well i got the monitor today, set it up fine, used the windows colour calibration tool to calibrate it properly, and all I can say is it looks amazing!. Played cod black ops through it, colours look so vibrant, looks wonderful dont notice any motion problems at all really. Played some blu rays, look superb, fantasitc contrast details and colours yet again, same with my xbox. Only game where the monitors 8ms can be seens so far is CSS, do get a bit of wobble and ghosting when moving fast, but tbh i only see it when im looking for it and im already starting to get use to it :) :cool:

Thanks a lot for all your help guys! :D

Soldato
Glad to hear about your positive experiences. To be honest the EW2420 (which I initially purchased for a review and then decided to keep) really grew on me. I've used so many modern monitors I lose count but this one is really special. :)

Soldato
I'm guessing if you play a game like EVE-Online the EW2420 will be absolutely stunning with the blacks. Does anyone who owns this monitor play EVE, what's it like?

Back
Top Bottom