Waitrose Group Interview

Soldato
It's not garbage, having conducted several group interviews my self I think I would know best.

Believe me, no one there will be wearing a suit, MAYBE a shirt. I've never seen anyone come in a suit only a guy in shirt and tie who quite clearly went red faced when he walked in.

Soldato
Seems logical to wear a suit to any interview... I wouldn't employ someone who can't make the effort, unless their personal circumstances are particularly tight.

I had a group interview at Safeways for a summer job many many years ago - can't remember much of it, and I didn't get an offer, but I seem to remember it was "whoever's most up for it, wins".

Caporegime
Having worked for Sainsburys, M&S, Woolworths, PC World (Dixons Store Group) and Argos in both store environments (Sainsburys as a Department Manager who manage the 'monkeys') and as a Buyer (everyone else) I can tell you categorically that to turn up without a suit would be to give yourself a disadvantage.

Not being a keyboard warrior, here. As far as Food Retailing goes, not wearing a suit is not a consideration.

Associate
It's not garbage, having conducted several group interviews my self I think I would know best.

Believe me, no one there will be wearing a suit, MAYBE a shirt. I've never seen anyone come in a suit only a guy in shirt and tie who quite clearly went red faced when he walked in.

But did it make him look any WORSE for wearing the suit?

Did you think 'Hmm that guy is wearing a suit, there isn't a chance in hell he is getting this job.'? I expect not, if you did, dear o dear.

If in doubt, dress up, that is the best thing to do. That way you can always dress yourself down to match others around you. If you turn up in just a t-shirt and trousers, and everyone else is wearing a suit, there is no way of 'dressing-up' to match them.

Soldato
Go ahead, wear a suit. You will feel like a right pillock, your bound to be doing some task like designing a bridge, or making a new uniform etc etc and your going to end up taking the jacket off straight away.

Soldato
But did it make him look any WORSE for wearing the suit?

Did you think 'Hmm that guy is wearing a suit, there isn't a chance in hell he is getting this job.'? I expect not, if you did, dear o dear.

If in doubt, dress up, that is the best thing to do. That way you can always dress yourself down to match others around you. If you turn up in just a t-shirt and trousers, and everyone else is wearing a suit, there is no way of 'dressing-up' to match them.

No but there was just no need for it, it didn't HELP him in anyway, infact he didnt get the job. This isn't a mega hard job where your going to be making 100,000 a year. its an hourly paid job.

Associate
Go ahead, wear a suit. You will feel like a right pillock, your bound to be doing some task like designing a bridge, or making a new uniform etc etc and your going to end up taking the jacket off straight away.

You make it sound as if taking off a jacket is some monumental ordeal that most wouldn't be able to go through.

Associate
I wouldn't go in a suit tbh. For my tesco interview a few years ago they actually had me down on the shop floor stacking shelves for 15 minutes during the interview lol 'role familiarisation' or some BS..
I disagree. This isn't Tesco. This is a supermarket which targets itself at a more affluent (and, frankly, probably more snobbish) market. Their clientele (stereotype coming up) is less likely to want to see "shop monkeys" on the tills, but instead might prefer tidily dressed "nice young men and women". Wear a suit and you mark yourself out against some of the other people there who may be dressed more casually, and the first impression you will create is that you aren't just a "shop monkey", but will be able to present the right image to the customer.

In the end, you aren't getting the job from the other people that might think you look a "tit". You are being hired by the people who want to know that you are going to do a good job, and aren't going to mess them around. And if there is anyone near management at the interviews, then they'll be in suits anyway, so you won't be out of place.

Soldato
All im saying is that it's overkill and there is no need. If you want to wear a suit then wear a suit.

I turned up to all of my graduate job interviews wearing a pair of khaki's and a polo, I was offered all the jobs too.

Caporegime

When you say you've conducted these interviews, I imagine you mean someone else has organised them, understands the interview process and instructed you which notes to take on their behalf?

You've really no idea.

Soldato
I used to work as a supermarkt assistant in waitrose and to the interview i wore shirt tie and trousers, but no suit jacket. As for the 'type' of person they like to employ, its complete and utter balls. They employed loads of people who i wouldnt say really fit, chavs gallore in my branch.

As for the management, i wouldnt want to work their again to be honest, may be seen as a nice company to work for, but in my time there i couldnt believe how some of the managers got their jobs, complete stuck up tools to be honest.

Good luck!

Soldato
As for the management, i wouldnt want to work their again to be honest, may be seen as a nice company to work for, but in my time there i couldnt believe how some of the managers got their jobs, complete stuck up tools to be honest.

It was the same at M&S. Not only that but there were way too many 'managers'. I never knew who the hell was responsible for what. It seemed to me that they handed the title out to practically anyone who jumped through their hoops enough times.

Soldato
I went for a waitrose group interview a few month back..

was annoying as hell.. rubbish group tasks.. happy happy im such a happy guy and i love everything...

one task we had to make an advert for a random selection of items and i was put in a daft team and i thought of the idea.. told everyone what to say and i didnt get a job..

group interviews are a joke, normally the retard gets it

Soldato
Well i can honestly say i dont think Waitrose' 'selection' method is working. And i despise any company that makes its prospective staff do things like that for such basic jobs, its almost humiliating in my opinion.

Associate
i was put in a daft team and i thought of the idea.. told everyone what to say and i didnt get a job..
Those situations are always difficult. On the one hand, you want your team to do well, so may need to do a lot of telling them what to do. On the other hand, that can look like you aren't good working in a team, and just boss everyone around. A very difficult (impossible?!) balance to achieve if you get put in a "daft" team, as sadly it seems you found...

Soldato
I disagree. This isn't Tesco. This is a supermarket which targets itself at a more affluent (and, frankly, probably more snobbish) market. Their clientele (stereotype coming up) is less likely to want to see "shop monkeys" on the tills, but instead might prefer tidily dressed "nice young men and women". Wear a suit and you mark yourself out against some of the other people there who may be dressed more casually, and the first impression you will create is that you aren't just a "shop monkey", but will be able to present the right image to the customer.

In the end, you aren't getting the job from the other people that might think you look a "tit". You are being hired by the people who want to know that you are going to do a good job, and aren't going to mess them around. And if there is anyone near management at the interviews, then they'll be in suits anyway, so you won't be out of place.

I worked for 'trose back in the day. I wore a suit to my interview with the store manager (must do it differently these days) and I got the job with ease I would say.

Gordy and everyone else are 100% correct. Suited and booted every time.

Whatever you look like in your interview,if you get the job you're gonna be stuck wearing the god awful green shirt and grey trousers so take the oppertunity to stand out and be a man.

Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;12064946 said:
When you say you've conducted these interviews, I imagine you mean someone else has organised them, understands the interview process and instructed you which notes to take on their behalf?

You've really no idea.

By which I mean I've sifted through applications, selected candidates, invited them to interviews and given them set tasks. Then decided who to give the job to.

Back
Top Bottom