***Gigabyte GA-Z77-UD5H-WiFi review***

Caporegime
**Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB WiFi Review**

So Intel recently released the latest Z77 chipset (Codenamed Panther Point) for socket 1155 Sandybridge 2nd Gen Core and Ivybridge 3rd Gen Core based CPU's, this new chipset features,

• Native USB3.0 support
• The ability to run three independent displays from the IGP, the previous Z68 chipset could manage just two.
• Lucid MVP is another feature found.

Product Homepage - http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4167#ov

Outer box and packaging.

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

Ultra Durable 4

• 2X Copper PCB, gives better signaling and thermals on the PCB.
• Glass fabric PCB, provides humidity protection
• High temperature protection, solid capacitors and lowRDS MOSFETS.
• Electrostatic protection, a bunch of IC's protect against static electricity.
• Power failure protection, anti-surge IC's protect against say electrical storms.

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

Included accessories.

• Six SATA cables, three with angled heads.
• SLI bridge
• IO shield plate
• 3.5" drive bay device with two USB3.0 ports and an internal USB3.0 header cable.
• WiFi/Bluetooth expansion card.
• Two aerials.
• One USB cable to connect the card to the motherboard.
• Instruction/user guides
• Driver/Utility CD's for the motherboard and WiFi card.

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0441-1.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

The board.

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

When I first saw the pictures of this board I thought the Blue would spoil it, especially after using a GA-Z68XP-UD4 that is Black/Grey, but it does grow on you.

IMG_0474.jpg

12 VRMs for the CPU, 2 for the IGP and 1 for the memory controller, for reference the GA-Z68XP-UD4 had 16 VRM's for the CPU and 2+1 for the IGP/memory controller but rated at a lower current handling ability.

IMG_0478.jpg

8pin ATX/EPS power connector and system fan header.

IMG_0483.jpg

The CPU fan header, theres also a power connector (small white thing) provides power to the LEDs on the chipset heatsink if want to install any.

IMG_0479.jpg

Reset switch, ClearCMOS switch, Power button, Debug LED to check error codes, another system fan header and voltage measuring points if you have a digital multimeter.

IMG_0482.jpg

24pin ATX connector, a USB3.0 19pin header, the SATA power connector is for supplying extra power to the expansion slots in multiple GFX card solutions.

IMG_0486.jpg

4 Intel SATAII, 2 Intel SATAIII and 2 Marvel SATAIII connectors, note one of the SATAII ports will be disabled if the mSATA is used.

IMG_0254.jpg

Another system fan header, 2 more USB3.0 19pin headers, another Marvel controlled SATAIII port, the little switch is to select between the two BIOS's...a nice touch:)

IMG_0255.jpg

The front panel connection block to wire your case buttons to and yet another system fan header (bringing the total to 4).

IMG_0256.jpg

2 USB2.0 headers (the Red one is 3X power for quick charging) a trusted port Modual connector and next to this a Firewire header.

IMG_0258-1.jpg

Audio connector for a cases headphone/microphone port, also a digital audio connector for connection to a graphics card/sound card etc.

IMG_0476.jpg

This is the mSATA , useful for adding a small SSD that can be used for SRT (smart response technology) caching or just a small OS drive located on the board itself.

IMG_0499-1.jpg

• PCI Express x1
• PCI Express x16 (switches to 8X if a second card is added to the 2nd 16X slot)
• PCI Express x1
• PCI Express x1
• PCI Express x8 (physically 16X long. it drops to 4X if the bottom PCI-E slot is used)
• PCI if you still have an old add-in card
• PCI Express x4 (physically 16X long, only available with an Ivybridge CPU)

This motherboard supports Dual SLI+Crossfire at 8X/8X, it also supports Tri Crossfire at 8X/4X/4X (with a Ivybridge CPU)

IMG_0497-1.jpg

This is the Realtek ALC898 onboard sound chip, it has X-fi emulation, has a very high 110dB S/N ratio, two amplifiers are also present to improve the sound quality. It's as good as, if not better than the solutions found on ASUS Republic Of Gamer boards.

IMG_0506-1.jpg

Left to right,

• Dsub and DVI-D
• Optical S/PDIF, HDMI and Displayport
• Two USB2.0, Firewire and eSATA
• Gigabit LAN and two USB3.0
• Gigabit LAN and two USB3.0
• 7.1 Audio

The two LAN ports are provided by a Intel and Qualcomm Atheros chips, both very well regarded.

http://ark.intel.com/products/52963/Intel-82579V-Gigabit-Ethernet-PHY
http://www.qca.qualcomm.com/technology/technology.php?nav1=48&product=97

Heatsink fitment.

Ok, I don't have a large air cooler anymore, instead using a closed loop water cooler, but if you remember back to my review of the GA-Z68XP-UD4 then you will see that using a Titan Fenrir cooler caused issues with the mounting plate interfering with the first RAM slot, and the fan itself overhanging even the 2nd RAM slot, meaning I could only fit the cooler with the fan on the left hand side as I have tall Dominator RAM , not ideal.

It looks like this issue has been amended on this board and the extra space has been achieved by removing the gap between the RAM slots, an extra 5mm increase will make the world of difference:)

GA-Z68XP-UD4,
IMG_0510.jpg

GA-Z77-UD5H,
IMG_0508.jpg

BIOS.

So Gigabyte have now got a UEFI whereas previous Z68 boards had a EFI with the old style White on Blue background style layout, this BIOS is packed full of options, great fan control, also the mouse response selecting options is quick and smooth.

120424225902.jpg
120424225927-1.jpg

120424225953.jpg
120424230007.jpg

120424230019.jpg
120424230037.jpg

120424230044.jpg
120424230049.jpg

120424230057.jpg
120424230138.jpg

120424230225.jpg
120424230254.jpg

120424230308.jpg
120424230338.jpg

120424230350.jpg
120424230359.jpg

3D BIOS.

This is interesting, a 3D model of the board, hovering the mouse pointer over different parts gives you a description and control of those features, a quick explanation of these features appears underneath.

Switching between this 3D mode and the previous is quick and painless.

120424230409.jpg
120424230422.jpg

120424230444.jpg
120424230456.jpg

120424230504.jpg
120424230518.jpg

120424230531.jpg
120424230553.jpg

120424230602.jpg
120424230616.jpg

120424230624.jpg
120424230638.jpg

120424230643.jpg

• Memory multipliers of 10.66x, 13.33x, 14.00x, 16.00x, 18.00x, 18.66x, 20.00x, 21.33x, 22.00x, 24.00x, 26.00x, 26.66x, 28.00x, 29.33x, 30.00, and 32.00x.
• 8 nameable profile slots that can be imported/exported via USB/SSD or HDD disk.

Bundled software/utilities/drivers.

• Splashtop Connect
Splashtop Connect is the smart start page for browser that combines your most visited web sites, your history, your Facebook friends and your real-time news feed into an enhanced view for a more personal Internet experience.
• Intel(R) Management Engine Software(1.5M)
• INF Update Utility
• Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 Driver
• Creative SB X-Fi MB2
This is an SB X-Fi MB 2 package, comprising:
1.THX TruStudio Pro
2.SB Console
3.SB Jukebox
4.Music Server
5.Alchemy
6.EAX Gadget
7.Software Autoupdate

• Intel 825XX Series LAN Driver
• Atheros AR81Family PCI-E Gigabit/Fast Ethernet Controller Driver
• Marvell GSATA AHCI Driver
• Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver
• Intel USB 3.0 Driver
• ON/OFF Charge

• EasyTune 6
An easy-to-use Windows-based system enhancement utility allowing quick access to a variety of performance features.
@BIOS
@BIOS provides utility for updating BIOS through internet or download BIOS file
•Smart Recovery 2
Smart Recovery 2 allows you to quickly back up and restore your system data in the Windows Vista/Windows 7 operating system.
• DMI Viewer
DMI Viewer provides a management tool for viewing motherboard hardware information.
• Face-Wizard
Face Wizard provides utility for customizing BIOS boot up screen.
• Q-Share
Q-Share is an easy and convenient data sharing tool for computers on a network.
• Update Manager
Gigabyte Update Manager can update Gigabyte utilities by internet
• Auto Green
Automatic system energy saving via Bluetooth phone.

• Acrobat Reader
• Lucid Virtu GPU Virtualization Software
LucidLogix Virtu GPU Virtualization technology allows users to dynamically switch between their built-in graphics and their high-end, 3D discrete graphics cards.
• Atheros LanOptimizer
• Win ZIP
• AIWI Game 64 bit
AIWI is a unique software that connects your PC to your iPhone/iPod touch. Once they are connected, you can use your iPhone/iPod touch as a wireless keyboard or touchpad,
• Intel Rapid Start Technology
• Intel Smart Connect Technology
• Splashtop Streamer
A computer with the Splashtop Streamer can receive connections from any device running Splashtop Remote Desktop
• Firefox browser

• GIGABYTE 3D Power Utility
Users can now enjoy a fully interactive 3D utility that facilitates adjustment of the 3 dimensions that control the power delivery
to your CPU and Memory: Voltage, Phase and Frequency.
• 3TB+Unlock
• EZ setup
• Cloud Station

Bluetooth/WiFi.
IMG_0537.jpg

Bluetooth 4.0 and IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n support from this little card, a spare USB port so you dont lose the bandwidth of the PCI Epress slot its in.

wifi.png

wifi3.png

Bluetooth works perfectly, the WiFi was able to pick up a lot of signals from neighbours houses that are a distance away, impressed a lot.

Creative software.
Untitled.png

There are more sections, but the ones above are the more interesting sections.

Gigabyte 3D Power Utility.
cc.jpg

Easy tune 6.
easytune62.png

Same as before, three selectable OC presets (Green/Yellow/Red) control of the frequencies/voltages/ratios but if you click on the Autotune button (circled) it takes you to another feature,

s.png

These needles on the dials sweep around a few times while checking the CPU ratio stability, BCLK stability etc, then after a few restarts and Bluescreens, it finally presents you with its idea of an Overclock, I found this final overclock to not be stable for me, I do actually wonder if I just have a bad overclocking CPU as my manual overclock isnt spectacular either.

t.png

It can also save this profile for loading into the BIOS and storing.

Lucid MVP.
lucid.png

This is improved on the Lucid Virtu found on the Z68 boards, it has two more features,

• HyperFormance.
• Virtual Vsync.
Tomshardware said:
Screen tearing is a phenomenon where more than one frame is displayed within a single draw on the screen. Traditional v-sync addresses this by aligning each frame’s output to a single draw cycle, reducing the maximum frames per second to the refresh rate of the monitor (typically 60 Hz). All frames are first completed by the GPU, and those that aren’t synchronous to the display refresh are removed from the output after completion. A frame must be displayed multiple times whenever the GPU’s output capability drops below 60 FPS, resulting in stuttering.

Virtual Vsync attempts to accomplish a similar task without the 60 FPS cap by analyzing rendering time, then instructing the GPU not to start the process on frames that might be later dropped. Preemptive frame elimination reassigns the rendering time that would have been spent on a dropped frame to the next frame, theoretically reducing stuttering. Yet, because this isn’t actual v-sync, it’s still possible to send two frames in a single refresh cycle, and the monitor only displays the first, resulting in an image that appears synced at 60 FPS, even though an app like Fraps will report performance greater than 60 FPS. In fact, this is the test scenario Lucidlogix prefers, reminding us that games that run slower than 60 FPS won't see any benefit from Virtual Vsync.

HyperFormance goes a little further than Virtual Vsync by attempting to preemptively remove any frames that wouldn’t be finished before the next frame is scheduled, again reassigning that rendering time to the next frame. Ideally, average FPS should be increased since partial frames don't tie up rendering resources. The only potential problem with this technology is game compatibility.

Testing.

Test setup,

i5 3570K
GA-Z77-UD5H-WiFi
GA-Z68XP-UD4
Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz (2X2Gb) DDR3
Corsair Force GT 120GB
GTX570
Antec Kuhler 920
Corsair TX750M

SSD performance,
SSDperforamnce.png

Lucid VirtuMVP with CPU at 4.5Ghz,
Lucid-1.png

AIDA64 at 3.4Ghz (Turboboost/Speedstep disabled),
AIDA.png

Overclocking,

Using a i5 3570K as mentioned, getting to 4Ghz was easy, all I had to do was set the CPU ratio to 40X, disable Turboboost (or leave the CPU ratio alone and set all four Turbo ratios to 45X if you want the power saving feature) and save+exit the BIOS.

Next up was 4.5Ghz, using these settings,

CPU ratio of 45X
Turboboost disabled
LLC set to Turbo
Vcore set at 1.325v
Then 4.6Ghz with,

CPU ratio of 46X
Turbo disabled
LLC set to Extreme
Vcore set at 1.35v

Untitled2.png

4.7Ghz with more Vcore,

Untitled3.png

Wprime,
WPrime.png

SuperPI,
superPI.png

Conclusion.

The UD5H is a stunning board, the new UEFI BIOS is easy to use and the mouse cursor is smooth within it, the board is built like a rock, lots of features to aid overclocking within the BIOS and found on the PCB itself, a great amount of connectivity (SATA ports/USB ports) having four display connectors means you can run three monitors using the onboard GFX. The audio quality from the Realtek ALC898 chip is so much better than previous sound solutions on motherboards I have used before.

I have had my GA-Z68XP-UD4 for nearly 9 months and in that time its been an absolute beast compared to the Asrock that came before it, I can see this UD5H continuing in the same fashion.

Pros.
Build quality.
Connectivity.
UEFI is fast and smooth, 3D mode is simple to use.
Brilliant sound quality, makes me miss my X-Fi sound card less.

Cons.
Wish it still had the Black/Grey theme of the previous Z68 boards.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm actually thinking of buying the Z77X UD3H. If the UD5H is a good board, I assume the UD3H is good too? I haven't compared specs, so is there any great benefit of the UD5H that makes it a must buy over the UD3H?

Caporegime
OP
I'm actually thinking of buying the Z77X UD3H. If the UD5H is a good board, I assume the UD3H is good too? I haven't compared specs, so is there any great benefit of the UD5H that makes it a must buy over the UD3H?

The sound chip is a step above on the UD5H, dual gigabit LAN and a slight increase in the number of phases VRM's and a few other differences such as USB/SATA port count

Side by side comparison - http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/comparison/list.aspx?ck=2&pids=4153,4139

Soldato
The sound chip is a step above on the UD5H, dual gigabit LAN and a slight increase in the number of phases VRM's and a few other differences such as USB/SATA port count

Side by side comparison - http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/comparison/list.aspx?ck=2&pids=4153,4139

Thanks for the link. Blimey, even my current cheapo gigabyte board has realtek, that's what I use now, yet it's now only on the more expensive Z77 board. Weird.

So is 1 VIA VT2021 codec/High Definition Audio not going to sound very good?
I have no idea what dual gigabit LAN does and if it would be beneficial to me? Does the increased phases VRM's help with overclocking and keeping the board cooler?

Associate
Appreciate you taking the time to do the review Stulid.

My UD5H will be here tomorrow. I have read the review a load of times just to soak it all in and build up excitement for the install tomorrow. :) Kudos good sir!

Caporegime
OP
Thanks for the link. Blimey, even my current cheapo gigabyte board has realtek, that's what I use now, yet it's now only on the more expensive Z77 board. Weird.

So is 1 VIA VT2021 codec/High Definition Audio not going to sound very good?
I have no idea what dual gigabit LAN does and if it would be beneficial to me? Does the increased phases VRM's help with overclocking and keeping the board cooler?

The more VRM's = high overclocking while remaining cooler.

The Realtek soundchip on this board is I believe their top end version, they do a range to suit different costs/market segments.

Caporegime
OP
The UD5H is a damn good board, be it WiFi or no WiFi version!

Indeed, its packed full of features, the buildquality and weight of it screams quality.

Excellent review, thanks Stulid. Board looks great, think I will go with Gigabyte for my next build.

My second one in a row, before these I had a Asrock Z68 Extreme4 which wasnt in the same league.

Associate
Looks like a solid board and had my eye on this for a few weeks.

Many thanks for putting up this in depth review with excellent images.

Noticed that the UK shipped boards do not have spacing between the memory slots. Overclock3d had a sample board which shows the same (UK based site), however Gigabytes website and US reviews of this board show spacing between the memory slots.

Is there two versions of this board knocking about? Excluding the wireless and non wireless versions.

Edit: Missed the part where you mentioned the comparison to the older Gigabyte board and the issue with fitting CPU coolers.

It would seem Gigabyte have made last minute amendments to this board and closed the gap on the memory slots, giving 5mm extra space for CPU coolers. If you look at the reference images of this board it still shows the gap.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Looks like a solid board and had my eye on this for a few weeks.

Many thanks for putting up this in depth review with excellent images.

Noticed that the UK shipped boards do not have spacing between the memory slots. Overclock3d had a sample board which shows the same (UK based site), however Gigabytes website and US reviews of this board show spacing between the memory slots.

Is there two versions of this board knocking about? Excluding the wireless and non wireless versions.

The one with the gap between the slots doesn't support memory overclocking, it was an early version.

Caporegime
OP
Back
Top Bottom