• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus HD 7970 Matrix Platinum 3072MB GDDR5 **IN STOCK**

Soldato
What options have you got to crossfire with this 3 slotter?

I know most cases/boards will allow two 3 slotters but the gap between card 1 and 2 will be a couple of mm. :(

Tempted to get one and then another 7970 of some description to try for 14 days before deciding whether to keep and flog the 680's or send back under the satisfaction guarantee.

Soldato
Tada

matrixplatinum.jpg

What options have you got to crossfire with this 3 slotter?

I know most cases/boards will allow two 3 slotters but the gap between card 1 and 2 will be a couple of mm. :(

Tempted to get one and then another 7970 of some description to try for 14 days before deciding whether to keep and flog the 680's or send back under the satisfaction guarantee.

Not many options to be honest. The RIVE will allow a bigger gap i think.

Soldato
Good luck rossi, hope it's a good one.

@Rusty,

the HafX is a great air cooling case is it not?

My top card was usually 10c warmer than the bottom one, when I had my AC Extreme CrossFire, but they were still plenty cool even though they were sandwiched together.

However, I think your mental taking the hit/hassles of swapping out your 680's for not that much performance-unless there are BIG gains at your res.

:)

Caporegime
Good luck rossi, hope it's a good one.

@rusty,

the HafX is a great air cooling case is it not?

My top card was usually 10c warmer than the bottom one, when I had my AC Extreme CrossFire, but they were still plenty cool even though they were sandwiched together.

However, I think your mental taking the hit/hassles of swapping out your 680's for not that much performance-unless there are BIG gains at your res.

:)

He's seen the light tommy and it was a red light, although he could have just been in a red light district. :eek:

Permabanned
According to overclock3d/tinytomlogan's 36 minute review on this thing on youtube its not any better than a standard 7970 and he found a stock 7970 can overclock higher, its just asus trying to milk the ROG brand.

Soldato
According to overclock3d/tinytomlogan's 36 minute review on this thing on youtube its not any better than a standard 7970 and he found a stock 7970 can overclock higher, its just asus trying to milk the ROG brand.

According to other reviews it's the best one out there clocking higher than 1300. Reviews are hit and miss.

Caporegime
I think its safe to say that these cards simply improves your chances of winning the silicone lottery, rather than a single ticket with a stock 7970 this gives you maybe two or three tickets.

I have to draw the line at three tickets, unless im missing something?

Is the ticket number important? I seem to have got lost.

That reminds me, i need to check my numbers. :D

Soldato
I think its safe to say that these cards simply improves your chances of winning the silicone lottery, rather than a single ticket with a stock 7970 this gives you maybe two or three tickets.

I have to draw the line at three tickets, unless im missing something?

Is the ticket number important? I seem to have got lost.

That reminds me, i need to check my numbers. :D

Haha, Indeed! :p
I'm hoping my numbers come up later.
How do i clock these, need to double check. Shove the power limit to over 9000 and ramp up the clocks until it falls over right?

Soldato
*******S!!!!!!! :D

Yeah the HAF X is a pretty nice air cooling case - one of the best I think. It's so hard to get good honest reviews on performance on 12.11 drivers at triple screen resolution I am seriously considering buying two, doing it myself and deciding in the 14 days if the gains (and there will be gains) are worth it.

I've been multi-GPU on AMD and nVidia before so it's not really an issue from that respect.

Associate
Your benchmarks would be very interesting if you did try the 7970 crossfire Rusty, especially after you have done some extensive testing on your 680's. Like you said its hard to find some decent reviews at high res with the new drivers. Looking forward to your benches ;)

Soldato
Your benchmarks would be very interesting if you did try the 7970 crossfire Rusty, especially after you have done some extensive testing on your 680's. Like you said its hard to find some decent reviews at high res with the new drivers. Looking forward to your benches ;)

Shame the Lightning's don't have DL DVI. As they're two slotters, two of them in Crossfire would be a good "compromise" :). Technically, I could buy 3 DP to mDP cables as my monitors have a DP output but it's just a pain in the arse.

I don't think I'll bother :D

Plus I need to re-install Windows at some point and going back to AMD would be the perfect time to do that and that is also a large effort. Ha!

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes I dread a windows reinstallation too, sigh :(

You could always get one of these:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-073-HS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=938

or the windforce GHz card to try with the Matrix.

On another note, the lightning BE has just come up for preorder. £40 more than the original lightning :mad:

Problem is the Matrix would naturally go in the top slot and it doesn't matter what the second card is in that respect as it'll be starving the Matrix of air. Physically, it's possible for me to have 2.

Realistically I could end up limiting my overclock due to temps which would make it even less worthwhile.

Back
Top Bottom