Ideas for a first car?

Associate
Hey guys

I'm looking for my first car. (currently named driver)

I currently drive a 1997 Mitsibushi Carisma 1.9TD. I like this car however its not mine and wanted to get something for myself. The Carisma is getting a little long in the tooth and fuel economy is not as good as it used to be

I need some sort of hatchback and drive around 60 miles round trip to work everyday so needs to be good on fuel. Also want something a little more fun. Budget porbably £1700 for the car. Oh and im 19 passed for a year.

Thought you guys might have an idea Thanks in advance

Associate
Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec or LX. Cracking wee engine and the Zetec/LX trim is nice enough to give you a few wee luxuries. I'm on my 2nd Fiesta and 2nd year into my second one.

Prices from around £600 for a 1998(ish) Mk 4 model and £1700 you could get a 2004(ish) Mk 5 model.

Associate
OP
Had a look at one of they appear to be a really nice motor, will be looking at those in my shortlist for sure

Thanks.

I was sort of thinking something like a Leon or some sort of Diesel hatchback like s golf since the insurance is affordable.

Associate
Based on 60 miles a day and a bit more at the weekends I'd say a efficient petrol would be a better bet than a diesel. Do you do a lot of miles at the weekend as well? If you do then a diesel might be better...hard to say. This screams mk1 1.6 focus to me! You'll get 40mpg on a run no problem and there's less to go wrong than a diesel. Or if you don't mind the larger car, a 1.8/2.0 mondeo. You'll get more for your money in a Mondeo due to the perceived increased running costs of a larger car and engine.

Soldato
Surely going from a Carisma to a fiesta is a downgrade?

A focus would be more inviting?

What about a MK4 golf, better built, but you might have wind down windows!

And if it has to be Diesel, a VAG 1.9 engine although old is quite solid without the new potential failures of modern engines.

Last edited:
Soldato
A focus would be a bit better for motorway driving. The fiesta can be quite quite annoying on longer journeys, mainly because of road noise and comfort.

Associate
OP
Cheers guys will look into both the Fiesta and the focus.

My commute is on a range of roads driving mainly country roads between towns. route is Banbury to Oxford if anyone has ever done it. Dont tend to drive the motorway want to avoid the A34.

On another note has anyone got any views on the Toyota Yaris T Sport saw one of these and it seems to give good fuel figures as well as performance.

Thanks in advance

Associate
OP
Cheers guys just been looking over your suggestions.

Do you guys think its worth having a look at a diesel if i am travelling around 300 miles per week. It seems to be a bit difficult to weigh the costings up on both sides.

I like the idea of the fiesta or the focus they seem to fit the bill very well. I have also been looking at the Yaris Tsport this seems to provide a bit of fun, and from what i have read many owners get over 40MPG on average which would work.

Soldato
Cheers guys just been looking over your suggestions.

Do you guys think its worth having a look at a diesel if i am travelling around 300 miles per week. It seems to be a bit difficult to weigh the costings up on both sides.

Why is it difficult?

It's quite a simple sum to take the number of miles per year, the expected MPG and the current cost of the fuel and work out what you'd save

Then, weigh it up against the increased risk and higher purchase price.....

I'll give you a hint though, at 15k miles, just get a petrol ;)

Soldato
My mrs has a 2001 fiesta, it's **** tbh.

Although it does appear to be very reliable.

They are indeed bulletproof cars. Mine was 12 years old at its last mot, and the only part that needed sorting was a wheel bearing that was slightly rough. I never really did any maintanance apart from servicing.

The only downside is it's just so jittery and noisey on the motorway, and my god do the seats kill your back on a long trip. No lumbar support in those seats whatsoever! When I used to 'try' to talk to people in the car, it was sort of like this:

Me: I really like this song
gf: What was that!?
me: I really like this song!
gf: Am I wearing a thong!
Me: Nevermind!

Soldato
Generally the Focus is better value than a Fiesta.

If you go for a Fiesta get a Mk6 (2002 on - the squarer shaped one) - the Mk5 are all getting a bit rusty now, and the Mk6 is a lot more solid and refined. You might struggle to find a 1.25 because that engine wasn't introduced until a while after the launch, but the 1.4 is fine.

If you go for a Focus, get a Zetec spec car - the seats and suspension are much, much better than the LX or even the Ghia. I found the ride on my Focus Ghia quite unpleasant - I would describe it as firm but bouncy - the Zetec is stiffer but the damping is better. The Zetec didn't come with Aircon or heated screen as standard - but many have the climate pack and this is well worth looking for.

Back
Top Bottom