• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon 290X Kuhler mod: Taming Hawaii 'Pic heavy'.

Associate
Had the same mod on my 7950, and it was brilliant, what makes it even better with the 290x series is you no longer need the copper shim.

Furthermore I have close friend has just ordered two 290 to replace his existing crossfire 7950's that were also running via dwood brackets and antec 620 solution.

Hopefully get him to post some images of how they run in crossfire with temps + vrm temps

Soldato
OP
Done a bit more reading on VRM heatsinks, it does seem that a lot of people use them :p

What I don't get is why my old cards, GTX 480, HD 7950, HD 7970, Nvidia GTX 780, Titan etc all ran fine with this mod and no VRM heatsinks, if it so important, how come they were fine?

Anybody know where I could pick up the heatsinks for VRM's on this 290X?

Soldato
Done a bit more reading on VRM heatsinks, it does seem that a lot of people use them :p

What I don't get is why my old cards, GTX 480, HD 7950, HD 7970, Nvidia GTX 780, Titan etc all ran fine with this mod and no VRM heatsinks, if it so important, how come they were fine?

Anybody know where I could pick up the heatsinks for VRM's on this 290X?

Somebody linked a kit they had bought in another thread I think, might have been this:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-038-AL

VRMs are rated for 100C+ so I guess if you had any kind of airflow in your case they were kept cool enough from that? I have heard that they may work less efficiently when near their temp limit, perhaps you could've got better OC's this whole time if you cooled em. :p

Soldato
OP
Somebody linked a kit they had bought in another thread I think, might have been this:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-038-AL

VRMs are rated for 100C+ so I guess if you had any kind of airflow in your case they were kept cool enough from that? I have heard that they may work less efficiently when near their temp limit, perhaps you could've got better OC's this whole time if you cooled em. :p

Haha very possibly :p. Thanks for the link, trying to find VRM cooling small enough for the 3 at the back of the card.. Everything seems to come with custom coolers, hard to get separate bits..

Soldato
OP
Idle VRM temps:

eup.png

Full Load VRM Temps (Furmark stress test):

zyGsJSp.jpg

Associate
VRM1 temps @97c is that with the VRAM Chip Coolers ? I think if you can get that down you should be able to overclock more or be more stable at least that is high but i think people have been saying they could have a limit of 125c but i dont know if that is 100% correct. lovely mod for sure.

If that is not with the VRAM Chip Coolers get some on it :)

Soldato
OP
VRM1 temps @97c is that with the VRAM Chip Coolers ? I think if you can get that down you should be able to overclock more or be more stable at least that is high but i think people have been saying they could have a limit of 125c but i dont know if that is 100% correct. lovely mod for sure.

If that is not with the VRAM Chip Coolers get some on it :)

Yeah that is without any heatsinks on the VRM. Done a lot of reading and it seems that at higher than 100c VRM's could effect overclocking. Bearing in mind that test was done at stock settings, so I'm def gonna take the advice from the peeps here and get some VRM heatsinks. Only problem is I can't find any low profile ones that would fit under the Kuhler fan bracket..

I found that VRM 1 is the front part of the card with multiple VRM's and VRM 2 is the rear 3 part. Cooling likr this in the pic would be ideal, but only seems to ship with retail Artic Accelero 3.

LEAyUvr.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah that is without any heatsinks on the VRM. Done a lot of reading and it seems that at higher than 100c VRM's could effect overclocking. Bearing in mind that test was done at stock settings, so I'm def gonna take the advice from the peeps here and get some VRM heatsinks. Only problem is I can't find any low profile ones that would fit under the Kuhler fan bracket..

You could always buy some normal ones and cut the tops off.

Soldato
Why not get a proper loop with a full size block? This will then cool the vram.

kinda hard to get hold of a block currently.
and christmas is up also so dont expect things to improve so fast.
I did a similiar mod, used a vga block for core and using 2 fans under the card to cool the vrm. while not optimal until a full cover block is widely available this will due for now.

Associate
I am going to say the reason is cost. This mod cost him nearly nothing as he had most of the parts already i think. If you want to go custom loop you are looking at £400-£500 pounds and for some people its not worth it / too expensive. Plus its fun to mod :)

Soldato
OP
I am going to say the reason is cost. This mod cost him nearly nothing as he had most of the parts already i think. If you want to go custom loop you are looking at £400-£500 pounds and for some people its not worth it / too expensive. Plus its fun to mod :)

^^ This.

I've ordered the heatink set (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-038-AL) from OCUK that teppic and orangey recommended.

If worst comes to it, and it doesn't fit under the fan bracket, I'll try a different bracket without fan mount, probably better to fit heatsinks on memory and VRM with no fan than to have an fan cooler with no heatsinks right?

Will update the thread when it's done.

Soldato
^^ This.

I've ordered the heatink set (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-038-AL) from OCUK that teppic and orangey recommended.

If worst comes to it, and it doesn't fit under the fan bracket, I'll try a different bracket without fan mount, probably better to fit heatsinks on memory and VRM with no fan than to have an fan cooler with no heatsinks right?

Will update the thread when it's done.

My prolimatech cooler comes with some tiny vrm heatsinks that I don't need, you can have those if you want.

201294145510417.jpg

The line of black blobs

Back
Top Bottom