• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** ATI RADEON 7950 OVERCLOCKING & HEAVEN RESULTS!! **

Soldato
How easy can these reach 1ghz on core? Can't find out myself yet since I won't be back on my desktop till Sunday.

And I think I might have a Sapphire 7950 that's been opened, doesn't bother me that much, but was it used for the benchmarking?

Associate
How easy can these reach 1ghz on core? Can't find out myself yet since I won't be back on my desktop till Sunday.

And I think I might have a Sapphire 7950 that's been opened, doesn't bother me that much, but was it used for the benchmarking?

Very easy, got mine today and I'm really happy so far :)
Max temp: 71 Degrees C @ stock voltage.

dztaa1.png

2h54k05.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Just done some testing:

GTX580 1.5gb @ stock using the unigine benchmark thread settings
gtx580.png

AMD 7950 @ stock using the unigine benchmark thread settings
7950stock.png

AMD 7950 @ 1025/6300 using the unigine benchmark thread settings
7950oc.png

Pretty pleased :)

Rest of the system:
i5 2500k @ currently at stock
Asus p8p67
8GB ram
Vertex 3

EDIT: how come CCC only allows you to go to 1025/6300 when 1200 core and 6400 mem are available? (ccc throws a complete hissy fit if you try setting it above that)

J.D

J.D

Soldato
I'm thinking about replacing my 2 5850s with one of these. It would be water cooled and overclocked as much as possible. Anyone got any thoughts or opinions on that? Worthwhile swap?

If the outlay is not going to be much after selling your 5850s then go for it without a thought. If it is going to cost you a few £ and your happy with your gaming performance on the 5850s then if the money is better spent elsewhere, I would hold off until you feel you need it.

If you love to have all the settings up max and this is how you've spent your gaming sessions then I would put it as a "need" rather than "want" if games were requiring you to lower IQ settings. Having 94 FPS in your most demanding game then upgrading a card to get 126 FPS is firmly put into the "want" category.

Totally contradicting myself though. I was thinking of the 7950. I've had this card a year and the slowdowns I get in BF3 I'd like to eradicate. I will do as I advised though and wait because BF3 is fine for the majority of my gaming. When I install Crysis 2 with the hires pack and some other titles then maybe I'll feel the need for new power as I've been playing only BF3 and MW3 online. If I get round to playing other games I might not be able to hold off if they push my 6950 too far.

Soldato
I think I'm in between those two categories. I do have to lower some things mainly it would seem due to a lack of VRAM. Stuff like higher levels of AA and more texture mods in Skyrim would be really nice and I need more VRAM for that. I would have to gain a decent amount in raw performance as well though, so that it will do me for a good while. Maybe I'll see what happens with prices and stretch to a 7970 if the price is right, or even whatever Nvidia card appears.

J.D

J.D

Soldato
I think I'm in between those two categories. I do have to lower some things mainly it would seem due to a lack of VRAM. Stuff like higher levels of AA and more texture mods in Skyrim would be really nice and I need more VRAM for that. I would have to gain a decent amount in raw performance as well though, so that it will do me for a good while. Maybe I'll see what happens with prices and stretch to a 7970 if the price is right, or even whatever Nvidia card appears.

It's a tricky one. Having the new card and all eye candy blazing is tempting but if you can achieve enjoyable gaming sessions then yes hold off a little. Kepler is or seems to be a while away so pricing might not drop a lot, but the premium pricing will go down eventually.

That's been my boggle but £90 difference between 7970 and 7950 doesn't reflect on reviews I've seen when both overclocked. I only run at 1900x1200 so bah. I'll just have to see what's on This Weeks Only sale at the time :).

What would be horrible is if when we are about to buy that Nvidia release some benchmark or sneak peak of the new cards and they are substantially faster. Then I thnk I'll cry.

Soldato
It never seems to be a good time to buy does it! One other thing on my mind is that I'm going to the US at the end of March so I was thinking I could buy something then.

Thanks for the advice. :)

Soldato
It never is a good time to upgrade, however if everyone waited nothign would move on e.g. plasma, if everyone had waited we'd still be paying £6k for a 42"... on PC's it's always the same, always something great aroudn the corner... , and someone on a forum will always say, hold off, go for it blah blah slate you, praise you, it's the name of the game. If you want mega fps, you need to spend mega money, OR sacrifice on settings, it's the name of the game, nothing for nothing so to speak. I know hwo you feel, I've just upgraded and picked another 6990 up on the cheap, couldn't resist knowing damn well that quadfire isn't the best, but did it anyway... sometimes you have to go balls deep and take a chance lol

Soldato
Sapphire 7950 installed, and it's a lot better than my XFX 6850 in both performance and sound wise!

However, something's bugging me, but not in a bad way. 800mhz is the stock GPU clock right? My default is 810mhz for some reason... Oh well *shoves it to 1ghz*

Back
Top Bottom