Dell U2713HM buzzing noise

Soldato
All monitors are different, Its the T-Con board that makes the noise and LG states that anything below 38 DB is Fine and within spec.

Man of Honour
how often does the buzz manifest itself though? Sure, maybe it shows up if you're viewing full screen spreadsheets with a certain amount of text in them, but in my day to day use i have yet to come across an instance where i've heard it in practice (i tend to do split screen working etc)

Permabanned
how often does the buzz manifest itself though? Sure, maybe it shows up if you're viewing full screen spreadsheets with a certain amount of text in them, but in my day to day use i have yet to come across an instance where i've heard it in practice (i tend to do split screen working etc)

Thanks for the PDF...I put it onto both monitors individually and set view to full-screen....turned up the brightness and contrast to full and then gradually decreased both...I did this in each preset and using my Calibrated settings.

There was no buzzing at all at any of the settings on either monitor.

I can only conclude that the buzzing is a common fault rather than inherent in the screen technology itself or it has another cause such as power supply issues, cable inferiority or a combination of factors including Graphics Card....

I used a POV GTX580 and an Asus GT630 for the comparisons....

Soldato
If you have tried everything suggested here yet still have a loud buzzing then it could possibly be a bad disc capacitor or poor flow-soldering!?
Whatever it's not your problem if it's brand new, just get a new one sent out.

Associate
OP
Thanks again for all the replies.

What I find so odd is how the buzzing intensity varies. For example, I can be reading an email in Thunderbird and theres pretty much no noise and then I'll select another email and the buzzing will start. Same goes for websites, spreadsheets, documents. In other words, the buzzing is intermittent and the noise level varies.

I listened quite carefully to a work colleagues dual 24" Dell monitor setup today and there was zero buzzing coming from either monitor. And that was with my ear on the top of the monitor! At home when the buzzing starts on certain screens I can hear it from the other side of the room!

Sigh.

Soldato
At home when the buzzing starts on certain screens I can hear it from the other side of the room!

Sigh.

In that case then you definitely need to contact whoever you purchased it from as it's clearly faulty.
You need to hurry up though as your consumer rights reduce as DOA is time specific!

Associate
OP
I've got an RMA number and OCUK are picking up the monitor on Monday.

In the meantime I need to connect a loan 19" monitor:

HP Compaq LA1951g

to the HDMI port on my desktop. The monitor has a DVI-D connection. From what I can tell it is a dual link DVI-D (I think) connector.

The question is, do I buy a single link DVI-D to HDMI cable or a dual link DVI-D to HDMI cable?

This is just so I can temporarily use the HP monitor while my Dell monitor is at OCUK.

Thanks for any help!

Associate
Greetings from the USA. Just a heads up. I too have a 2713HM and it has the exact same buzzing issue that you describe. I've tried everything you have, changing cables power outlets etc nothing works. The buzzing changes depending on what website I am on, Wikipedia's home page is really bad. I asked Dell for an exchange and I got the new monitor on Friday. Well that one does the exact same thing as well. My first monitor was made in Aug and the replacement was Sept. I will probably just live with it. I only hear the buzzing when its dead silent in my room which is almost never. Its just annoying that it does it sometimes. I could try for a 3rd replacement but I may wait a bit. So your not alone looks like their are more units out their that do the same as yours and mine...

Associate
OP
Greetings falcon26!

OCUK are picking up my monitor tomorrow to test it. I will let everyone know how it goes. Its such a shame, the quality of this monitor is mind blowingly good!

Man of Honour
I'd contact Dell for a replacement. I'm currently going through The process. They shipped out a brand new replacement for me next day,then picked up the old unit the following day. Sadly the new version also buzzed on certain text images. When the guy called back a few days later to find out how I waas getting on I explained it was still a problem and he immediately arranged to send another which should be due here tomorrow. He said to try that but that it may be a design limitation and we will have to discuss alternatives if the third unit is the same and I'm not happy. To be honest it's no big issue to me but I wanted to put the RMA process to the test and also establish if I could get a buzz free monitor after a couple of attempts.

Dell experience has been very positive for me

OcUK Staff
xy16644, so I can help you are you able to make a new thread in the Customer Service section with the issues and current issues you are having. And please also include your order number for the product. And explain the things you are not happy with. Feel free to be blunt and to the point, once I know the full details I can look into what I can do to help you. :)

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=116

Associate
OP
xy16644, so I can help you are you able to make a new thread in the Customer Service section with the issues and current issues you are having. And please also include your order number for the product. And explain the things you are not happy with. Feel free to be blunt and to the point, once I know the full details I can look into what I can do to help you. :)

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=116

Hi 5UB

I will create the new thread tonight when I return from work. If my original post can be emailed to me that would be great. I can use that as a template rather than start from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom