Asus Z77 Maximus V Extreme advice

Associate
hi ocuk members and friends

i have ordered the Asus Z77 Maximus V Extreme from ocuk to day, should have it 2 morro.

the reason for this is post is that i want to test the mobo to see if it works in within the 14 days warranty thingy from ocuk, just in case something wrong with it.

not sure about the warranty from asus itself.

but the the thing is i have only have some of the components

current spec

Coolermaster Cosmos 2
Asus vg278he monitor
Retail cpu= Ivy Bridge i7 3770k with stock cooler

and the Asus Z77 Maximus V Extreme mobo.

i have spare 300 watt psu Mercury model KOB AP4300X CE

so when i get the mobo 2morro what shall i do and how shall i test it.

im saving up money for other parts reason why i bought the mobo now is that most companies are not going to stock up the Asus Z77 Maximus V Extreme.

i have read 8 packs thread and i would like him to help me or any one else who has worked on or has experienced this mobo.

The rig is going to be used for 2d/3d gaming and photoshop editing and 2d/3d movies.

im going to need help in purchasing the correct ram and ssd and gpu later on been advised to buy the gtx 670 2gb/4gb to run 1 nvidia 3d vision monitor, but later on in the future i will buy 2 more asus vg278he so i will need to buy other 1 or 2 670 in sli.

recap

Q1: what shall i do when i first receive the mobo and what can i doto test the mobo with components i have mentioned.

Q2: im thinking of getting the corsair h100i so that i can install cpu on the mobo or shall i use the stock cooler but the thing when i replace it with h100i i l have to clean the tim on the cpu.

look forward to your advise

thanks

Eshan

Caporegime
You need a stick of RAM, anything thats normal DDR3 will do, I picked up a silly cheap (under a tenner) from a local shop, stick of bog standard 1333MHz stuff just for this sort of thing.

IMG_0409.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well you don't need a graphics card as the CPU has a built-in gfx core and the board has some display connectors at its rear to connect your monitor too.

You dont need any drives attached to get into the BIOS.

You need the board/CPU and some sort of cheap as chips RAM (that is compatible, i.e it fits the slot)

So fit the CPU and cooler and ram to the board, attach the 24pin and 8pin ATX power plugs to the board and hook up the monitor.

Attach a keyboard and power the board ON (there is a power button on the actual board to help you do this without a case)

If it works and displays an image and you can enter the BIOS then chances are its fine and working.

Associate
OP
ok so let me get this Wright

outside the case testing

-install cpu and cpu stock cooler.
-1 stick of ram any cheap compatibly to fit board.
-connect the 24 pin and 8 pin

connect monitor to back of motherboard or install my 250 gts and run off tht.

problems

the psu i have hasn't got 8 pin only 4 pin its p4 psu

if install the stock cooler then that would mean when i install the h100i after market cpu cooler that il have to clean the tim off the cpu which i don't wanna do because il have to buy cpu tim cleaner.

should i order the h100i and install that instead of the stock cooler but if their problem then il have to take it anyway and clean it so i guess il stick with the stock cooler to make sure that everything working.

Caporegime
Sometimes some boards will work with just a 4pin ATX placed in one half of the 8pin ATX socket (it only fits one half as the pins are shaped to only fit one way around)

But I don't know if such an expensive board will allow this or not.

Maybe leave the GTS250 out of the equation so as not to put to much load on the PSU.

Soldato
Out of interest why did you order the Asus Z77 Maximus V Extreme? Do you have a full watercooling loop in order as well? The Asus Formulee would be a better choice as it has a better sound chip the BIOS options on the extreme can be overwhelming,/
Standard DDR3 ram will surface if you just want to test it, 1600Mhz would do the trick (you can overclock it if you want). Your biggest problem is the PSU, Maximus Exterme meets a 300 watt PSU?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sometimes some boards will work with just a 4pin ATX placed in one half of the 8pin ATX socket (it only fits one half as the pins are shaped to only fit one way around)

But I don't know if such an expensive board will allow this or not.

Maybe leave the GTS250 out of the equation so as not to put to much load on the PSU.

ok i see hmm wut to do now need to find out if this 4 pin will work.

reason why i mentioned to to use my discrete gpu was to check if the 16x slot were working the pci-e, but there no point if my psu cant handle the load.

thinking of ordering a corsair Corsair AX860i Digital ATX '80 Plus Platinum' Modular Power Supply.

Caporegime
You will want a NEW PSU, do not use that 300W gutless wonder for anything more than whats been suggested.

A cheap PSU is a risk not worth taking, if you only needed a good 450-500W PSU for your spec then there are plenty of good ones avalible.

Associate
OP
Out of interest why did you order the Asus Z77 Maximus V Extreme? Do you have a full watercooling loop in order as well? The Asus Formulee would be a better choice as it has a better sound chip.

this rig was supposed to be finished last year it was rog custom build with water cooling in the cosmos 2 but i didn't have the funds to complete.

the reason why i went with exterm was i already bought the i7 3770k cpu so it had to be z77 board and because this was rog build i already made custom air intakes cutouts with rog logo in the cosmos

the other reason why i went with extreme board was that it offers more expansion addons in the future proof( 3/4 sli/crosfire.

the formula on the other hand supports 2 way sli and quad 2 dual gpu crossfire.

im also adding discrete sound card so the supreme fx wasn't important

Associate
OP
You will want a NEW PSU, do not use that 300W gutless wonder for anything more than whats been suggested.

A cheap PSU is a risk not worth taking, if you only needed a good 450-500W PSU for your spec then there are plenty of good ones avalible.

going to sli 2 680 or 2 670 for my 3 asus 27 vg278he in the future

for now i have 1 asus vg278he so i guess i just need 1 gpu

Caporegime
YOUR BASKET
1 x Corsair Professional Series AX 860W '80 Plus Platinum' Modular Power Supply (CP-9020044-UK) £169.99
1 x Seasonic X-Series 850w '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply £159.95
1 x Antec High Current Gamer 850W Modular '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply (0-761345-06225-1) £119.99
1 x XFX Pro 850W Core Edition '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply £95.99
Total : £557.92 (includes shipping : £10.00).

They are all Seasonic made PSU's, the Antec looks great value for money.

The XFX is not modular.

But I have also spotted this beast,

YOUR BASKET
1 x EVGA SuperNova G2 1000W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply £139.99
Total : £151.39 (includes shipping : £9.50).

Which seems decent enough looking at review,

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=346

Associate
OP
Thankyou very much Stulid first of all, im going to research/brush up everything their is know about psu and then im going to research the above items you have listed.

i think if i remember that the extreme has cpu 8 pin and 4 pin power cable and if so could use my 4 pin power cable

Associate
i have the same mobo and i got it from ocuk if its new no need to test it,you should be ok. great mobo to use. good overclocker .mine is at 4.6 with the h1ooi
and i7 3770K with no prob with temps, psu i use is 1000w but i am using 2 gtx 680's
spec in sig

Back
Top Bottom